Обсуждение: Copy Views From Database?

Copy Views From Database?

От
"lennie@corepat.com"
Дата:
Hi Guys,

I'm using PostGreSQL with a Java project since I'm a proffesional Java
developer.

I've a database that have about 120 views in PostGreSQL 7.0 that I need to
copy into PostGreSQL 8.0. I can copy them one-by-one in pgAdmin but I don't
have the time! Is there a maybe a tool that I can use to copy views as-is
from one database into another?

Kind Regards,

Lennie De Villiers

Java Developer
CorePat Systems (Pty) Ltd

www.corepat.com

http://mail2web.com/ .

Re: Copy Views From Database?

От
Hannes Dorbath
Дата:
use pg_dump and pg_restore :)

On 22.09.2005 10:37, lennie@corepat.com wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm using PostGreSQL with a Java project since I'm a proffesional Java
> developer.
>
> I've a database that have about 120 views in PostGreSQL 7.0 that I need to
> copy into PostGreSQL 8.0. I can copy them one-by-one in pgAdmin but I don't
> have the time! Is there a maybe a tool that I can use to copy views as-is
> from one database into another?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Lennie De Villiers
>
> Java Developer
> CorePat Systems (Pty) Ltd
>
> www.corepat.com

> http://mail2web.com/ .

cancel

От
light@theendofthetunnel.de
Дата:
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

Re: Copy Views From Database?

От
Hannes Dorbath
Дата:
On 22.09.2005 10:37, lennie@corepat.com wrote:
> Is there a maybe a tool that I can use to copy views as-is from one database into another?

pg_dump and pg_restore :)

Re: Copy Views From Database?

От
Hannes Dorbath
Дата:
On 22.09.2005 11:47, lennie@corepat.com wrote:
> How would you use it to only dump / restore the views? I don't want any database tables.

Please RTFM. But because I'm such a nice guy:

Create a binary dump of the schema:
pg_dump <database> -v -s -i -F c -Z 9 -U <superuser> -f /tmp/dump.bin

Use the -l option of pg_restore to create a TOC file and filter your
views with grep:
pg_restore -l /tmp/dump.bin | grep -E "[[:space:]]VIEW[[:space:]]" >
/tmp/tmp.toc

Check your TOC file with less to see if everything you want is in it:
less /tmp/tmp.toc

In case all seems fine run pg_restore with that TOC list as argument and
check the SQL statements it generates:
pg_restore -i -v -O -L /tmp/tmp.toc /tmp/dump.bin | less

In case all seems fine again, run it against your other database:
pg_restore -i -v -O -d <other_database> -U <user> -L /tmp/tmp.toc
/tmp/dump.bin

Hope it helps, in case it trashes your server, don't blame me and read
the manual before you're doing anything.

Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath