Обсуждение: DISTINCT ON

DISTINCT ON

От
"Jeremy Palmer"
Дата:
Hi,

I have a table:

observation (  id int4 NOT NULL [PRIMARY KEY],  vector_id NOT NULL [FORGIEN KEY],  obs_type VARCHAR(4) NOT NULL,  date
TIMESTAMPNULL

)

I need to select the newest observation id, classify by type, for each
vector (there can be multiple observation ids on each vector). I have read
the postgresql manual and see that there is a "DISTINCT ON" statement which
can do this.

i.e.

SELECT DISTINCT ON (vector_id, obs_type)      id
FROM   observation
ORDER  BY vector_id,      obs_type,      date DESC;

However the documentation also states that "DISTINCT ON" is not part of the
SQL standard and should be avoided when possible, stating that aggregations
and sub-queries should be used instead...

How would this be done in this scenario?

Thanks for you help
Jeremy

Re: DISTINCT ON

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Nov 19, 2005, at 7:49 , Jeremy Palmer wrote:

> SELECT DISTINCT ON (vector_id, obs_type)
>        id
> FROM   observation
> ORDER  BY vector_id,
>        obs_type,
>        date DESC;
>
> However the documentation also states that "DISTINCT ON" is not
> part of the
> SQL standard and should be avoided when possible, stating that
> aggregations
> and sub-queries should be used instead...
>
> How would this be done in this scenario?

Something like:

select max(date), id
from observation
group by vector_id, obs_type;

Do test to see which is better in your situation.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: DISTINCT ON

От
"Jeremy Palmer"
Дата:
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately that does not work as "id" column needs to be included in the
group by statement or be used in an aggregate function. If I did this it
definitely would note return the correct answer, as the "id" column is the
primary key for the table.

Any further suggestions?

On Nov 19, 2005, at 11:50 , Jeremy Palmer wrote:

> Unfortunately that does not work as "id" column needs to be
> included in the
> group by statement or be used in an aggregate function. If I did
> this it
> definitely would note return the correct answer, as the "id" column
> is the
> primary key for the table.

[Please don't top post. It makes the post harder to read. I've
reordered the post for readability.]

Try something like this:

select id
from (select max(date) as date    vector_id, obs_typefrom observationgroup by vector_id, obs_type) latest_observations
join observation using (date, vector_id, obs_type)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: DISTINCT ON

От