Обсуждение: Related tables to a view

Related tables to a view

От
"Jan Meyland Andersen"
Дата:
Hi

I need a function which are able to return the underlying tables to a view.

If I have a view which is a selection from field1 and field2 from table1
and field1 and field2 from table2.

How can I make a selection which returns the relation for the fields in a
way so I am able to se which field belongs to which table.

SELECT * FROM pg_views WHERE viewname='TestView' will return the schema
and the definition for me.

SELECT * FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'TestView' will return some oids etc.

SELECT * FROM pg_attribute JOIN pg_class ON attrelid = pg_class.oid AND
pg_class.relname='TestView' will return the fields including oids etc.

But I just cant find out how to find the tables for each field.

I hope someone are able to help me with this problem.

Regards

Jan Andersen

Re: Related tables to a view

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 10:52:03PM +0100, Jan Meyland Andersen wrote:
> If I have a view which is a selection from field1 and field2 from table1
> and field1 and field2 from table2.
>
> How can I make a selection which returns the relation for the fields in a
> way so I am able to se which field belongs to which table.

You could query pg_depend to find out which tables and columns the
view's rewrite rule depends on but that's not as specific as what
you're requesting.  I'm not aware of a way to associate a particular
table column with a particular view column short of parsing the view
definition or rule action; doing so would have to allow for the
possibility of a view column deriving its value from an arbitrarily
complex expression involving multiple tables, subqueries, etc.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Related tables to a view

От
"Jan Andersen"
Дата:
> You could query pg_depend to find out which tables and columns the
> view's rewrite rule depends on but that's not as specific as what
> you're requesting.  I'm not aware of a way to associate a particular
> table column with a particular view column short of parsing the view
> definition or rule action; doing so would have to allow for the
> possibility of a view column deriving its value from an arbitrarily
> complex expression involving multiple tables, subqueries, etc.

Yes I'm aware of the "problem" about arbitrary or scalar values but this is
not a problem in this specific case. If a field or value do not have a table
reference then it is not needed in the resultset. I only need those values
which have a direct connection to a table.

Is the only possible way then to analyse the description field in pg_view?

I was hoping for a more simple way to get the needed result.

Regards

Jan Andersen

Re: Related tables to a view

От
"Jan Meyland Andersen"
Дата:
> You could query pg_depend to find out which tables and columns the
> view's rewrite rule depends on but that's not as specific as what
> you're requesting.  I'm not aware of a way to associate a particular
> table column with a particular view column short of parsing the view
> definition or rule action; doing so would have to allow for the
> possibility of a view column deriving its value from an arbitrarily
> complex expression involving multiple tables, subqueries, etc.

I have been thinking the problem through again, and I think I am able to
solve the problem if I just know which tables the view is using.

But how do I get this information from the pg_depend table?

Regards

Jan

Re: Related tables to a view

От
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Дата:
Try this query

select a.relname as base,a.relkind
from
pg_class a
join pg_depend d on (a.oid = d.refobjid)
join pg_class c on (d.classid = c.oid)
join pg_rewrite r on (objid = r.oid)
join pg_class v on (ev_class = v.oid)
where a.relkind in('r', 'v')
and a.relname <> v.relname
and v.relname='YOUR VIEW NAME HERE'
order by 1

> You could query pg_depend to find out which tables and columns the
> view's rewrite rule depends on but that's not as specific as what
> you're requesting.  I'm not aware of a way to associate a particular
> table column with a particular view column short of parsing the view
> definition or rule action; doing so would have to allow for the
> possibility of a view column deriving its value from an arbitrarily
> complex expression involving multiple tables, subqueries, etc.

I have been thinking the problem through again, and I think I am able to
solve the problem if I just know which tables the view is using.

But how do I get this information from the pg_depend table?

Regards

Jan

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Related tables to a view

От
"Jan Meyland Andersen"
Дата:
> Try this query
>

> select a.relname as base,a.relkind
> from
> pg_class a
> join pg_depend d on (a.oid = d.refobjid)
> join pg_class c on (d.classid = c.oid)
> join pg_rewrite r on (objid = r.oid)
> join pg_class v on (ev_class = v.oid)
> where a.relkind in('r', 'v')
> and a.relname <> v.relname
> and v.relname='YOUR VIEW NAME HERE'
> order by 1

Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I need.

Regards

Jan