Обсуждение: finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters

finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
I've got an interesting one...I'm trying to find columns that have three or
fewer distinct characters (for example, "aaaaaaaaaa").  Wondering if I need to
write a function or if someone has an idea how to do it with built in
functions and/or pattern matching?

I think the thing to do would be to lowercase everything, then remove all
duplicate chars and spaces, then use length() on that, but it's not obvious to
me how I might remove the duplicate chars with the pattern matching support
in the docs.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/

Re: finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters

От
Colin Wetherbee
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:
> I've got an interesting one...I'm trying to find columns that have three
> or fewer distinct characters (for example, "aaaaaaaaaa").  Wondering if
> I need to write a function or if someone has an idea how to do it with
> built in functions and/or pattern matching?
>
> I think the thing to do would be to lowercase everything, then remove
> all duplicate chars and spaces, then use length() on that, but it's not
> obvious to me how I might remove the duplicate chars with the pattern
> matching support in the docs.

It's interesting, indeed.

Here's how you might do it with a PL/Perl function. :)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION remove_duplicates(TEXT) RETURNS TEXT AS
$$  my ($text) = @_;  while ($text =~ s/(.)(.*)\1/$1$2/g != 0) {};  return $text;
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

cww=# SELECT
remove_duplicates('ffffoooooooobbbbaaaarrrr.!@#$.foobar-baz-qux'); remove_duplicates
------------------- fobar.!@#$-zqux
(1 row)

Colin

Re: finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters

От
Osvaldo Rosario Kussama
Дата:
Jeff Frost escreveu:
> I've got an interesting one...I'm trying to find columns that have three
> or fewer distinct characters (for example, "aaaaaaaaaa").  Wondering if
> I need to write a function or if someone has an idea how to do it with
> built in functions and/or pattern matching?
>
> I think the thing to do would be to lowercase everything, then remove
> all duplicate chars and spaces, then use length() on that, but it's not
> obvious to me how I might remove the duplicate chars with the pattern
> matching support in the docs.

Try:
SELECT  array_to_string(array(    SELECT DISTINCT lower(substr('aabbcdddef  AB',i,1))           FROM
generate_series(1,length('aabbcdddef AB'))                s(i))                  , '');

Osvaldo

Re: finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Osvaldo Rosario Kussama wrote:

> Jeff Frost escreveu:
>> I've got an interesting one...I'm trying to find columns that have three or
>> fewer distinct characters (for example, "aaaaaaaaaa").  Wondering if I need
>> to write a function or if someone has an idea how to do it with built in
>> functions and/or pattern matching?
>>
>> I think the thing to do would be to lowercase everything, then remove all
>> duplicate chars and spaces, then use length() on that, but it's not obvious
>> to me how I might remove the duplicate chars with the pattern matching
>> support in the docs.
>>

> Try:
> SELECT
>  array_to_string(array(
>    SELECT DISTINCT lower(substr('aabbcdddef  AB',i,1))
>           FROM generate_series(1,length('aabbcdddef  AB'))
>                s(i))
>                  , '');

Osvaldo, that appears to work perfectly!  Thank you much!