Обсуждение: columns for count histograms of values

columns for count histograms of values

От
Alexy Khrabrov
Дата:
Greetings -- I have a table of the kind

Ratings:
id integer
rating smallint

-- where value can take any value in the range 1 to 5.  Now I want to
have a statistical table Stats of the form

id integer
min smallint
max smallint
avg real
r1 integer
r2 integer
r3 integer
r4 integer
r5 integer

-- how can I create it in one pass over Ratings?  I can use min(),
max(), avg() for

insert into stats values (id,select min(rating), max(rating),
avg(rating), ...) from ratings

-- but what to do for r1,..,r5, short of subselects (select
count(rating) from ratings where stats.id=ratings.id) for each, which
is an overkill?

Also, if a table Stats already exists with some more columns, and we
need to do an update, not insert, for the above, how would that work --

update stats set min=min(ratings), ... from ratings where
stats.id=ratings.id -- how do we do the histogram in this case, where
the id is fixed explicitly?

Cheers,
Alexy

Re: columns for count histograms of values

От
"Mag Gam"
Дата:
Just curious, how are you planning to display the histogram? <br />Are you allowed to use application code (C/C++/Perl,
etc..)to generate the histogram? Personally, SQL is great for showing the data but not good for making graphs with data
href="mailto:deliverable@gmail.com">deliverable@gmail.com</a>>wrote:<br /><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"> Greetings -- I have a
intostats values (id,select min(rating), max(rating), avg(rating), ...) from ratings<br /><br /> -- but what to do for
r1,..,r5,short of subselects (select count(rating) from ratings where stats.id=<a href="http://ratings.id"
somemore columns, and we need to do an update, not insert, for the above, how would that work --<br /><br /> update
statsset min=min(ratings), ... from ratings where stats.id=<a href="http://ratings.id" target="_blank">ratings.id</a>
href="http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-sql"target="_blank">http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-sql</a><br

Re: columns for count histograms of values

От
chester c young
Дата:
--- Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings -- I have a table of the kind
>
> Ratings:
> id integer
> rating smallint
>
> -- where value can take any value in the range 1 to 5.  Now I want to
>
> have a statistical table Stats of the form
>
> id integer
> min smallint
> max smallint
> avg real
> r1 integer
> r2 integer
> r3 integer
> r4 integer
> r5 integer
>
> -- how can I create it in one pass over Ratings?

select id, min(rating), max(rating), avg(rating), sum( case rating = 1 then 1 else 0 end ), ...

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: columns for count histograms of values

От
Alexy Khrabrov
Дата:
Chester -- awesome!  Exactly what the doctor ordered.  Just one
syntactic fix needed on 8.3.1:

case when rating=1 then 1 else 0 end

-- etc.

Cheers,