Обсуждение: Request new version to support "on commit drop" for create temp table ... as select ?

Request new version to support "on commit drop" for create temp table ... as select ?

От
Emi Lu
Дата:
Good morning,

I googled to find that "on commit drop" does not support:

(a) create temp table as select * from table1 where 1<>2;
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2005-09/msg00153.php

If table1 has complex table structure, grammar(a) will save lots of
codes - col1 varchar(1), col2, ..... colN

I just wonder would the new version support "on commit drop" for select?

Thanks a lot!
--
Lu Ying

Emi Lu <emilu@encs.concordia.ca> writes:
> I googled to find that "on commit drop" does not support:

> (a) create temp table as select * from table1 where 1<>2;
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2005-09/msg00153.php

Ah, the pitfalls of believing that the first google hit you get
is authoritative.  Didn't you notice that message was from 2005?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Request new version to support "on commit drop" for create temp table ... as select ?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Emi Lu <emilu@encs.concordia.ca> writes:
>> I googled to find that "on commit drop" does not support:
>
>> (a) create temp table as select * from table1 where 1<>2;
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2005-09/msg00153.php
>
> Ah, the pitfalls of believing that the first google hit you get
> is authoritative.  Didn't you notice that message was from 2005?

That's what I thought, but

create temp table xyz as select * from abc on commit drop;

still fails on 8.3.  Was this fixed in 8.4 or is my syntax wonky?

Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> That's what I thought, but

> create temp table xyz as select * from abc on commit drop;

> still fails on 8.3.  Was this fixed in 8.4 or is my syntax wonky?

Your syntax is wonky -- switch the clause order.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-createtableas.html
        regards, tom lane

Got it. Thank you Tom!