Обсуждение: Efficiency in Multiple Queries of Same Table in a PL/PgSQL Function

Efficiency in Multiple Queries of Same Table in a PL/PgSQL Function

От
Gary Chambers
Дата:
All...

In the poly_example function below, I am emulating an actual
requirement by querying the same table three (3) times in order to
derive a solution to a problem.  Is this the best or most efficient
and effective way to implement this?  The table (which consists of
only five (5) FLOAT8 columns) I'm querying contains less than 50 rows.Thanks in advance for any insight or criticisms
youoffer.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION poly_example() RETURNS SETOF FLOAT8 AS
$poly_example$
DECLARE   term blah%ROWTYPE;   sigma_l FLOAT8 := 0.0;   sigma_b FLOAT8 := 0.0;   sigma_r FLOAT8 := 0.0;

BEGIN   FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP       sigma_l := sigma_l + (RANDOM() * 100) * (term.i * term.i) +
   RANDOM() * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;   END LOOP;

   FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP       sigma_b := sigma_b + (RANDOM() * 53) * (term.i * term.i) +
(RANDOM()* 5) * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;   END LOOP;

   FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP       sigma_r := sigma_r + 96.232234 * (term.i * term.i) +
0.32322325* (term.j * term.j) + term.k;   END LOOP;

   RETURN NEXT sigma_l + sigma_b + sigma_r;
END;
$poly_example$ LANGUAGE plpgsql STRICT IMMUTABLE;

-- Gary Chambers

/* Nothing fancy and nothing Microsoft! */

Re: Efficiency in Multiple Queries of Same Table in a PL/PgSQL Function

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
I don't see anything in the assignment statements (sigma_* :=) which
would prevent one from doing all three of them within a single for
loop.  In fact, written as is there's some chance the values of the
sigma_*s might change between repeated calls to the function since there
is no explicit ordering of the rows returned from table blah.  Putting
all the assignments into a single select from blah would at least say
that the sigma values are from the same dataset per run.

As to efficiency in general, I would expect the entire  table (~50 rows)
would be entirely in memory after the first select, but you plan triples
the time in the loop.  This expense would likely only be noticeable if
the function itself is called /lots/.

Gary Chambers wrote:
> All...
>
> In the poly_example function below, I am emulating an actual
> requirement by querying the same table three (3) times in order to
> derive a solution to a problem.  Is this the best or most efficient
> and effective way to implement this?  The table (which consists of
> only five (5) FLOAT8 columns) I'm querying contains less than 50 rows.
>  Thanks in advance for any insight or criticisms you offer.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION poly_example() RETURNS SETOF FLOAT8 AS
> $poly_example$
> DECLARE
>     term blah%ROWTYPE;
>     sigma_l FLOAT8 := 0.0;
>     sigma_b FLOAT8 := 0.0;
>     sigma_r FLOAT8 := 0.0;
>
> BEGIN
>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>         sigma_l := sigma_l + (RANDOM() * 100) * (term.i * term.i) +
>                 RANDOM() * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>     END LOOP;
>
>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>         sigma_b := sigma_b + (RANDOM() * 53) * (term.i * term.i) +
>                 (RANDOM() * 5) * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>     END LOOP;
>
>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>         sigma_r := sigma_r + 96.232234 * (term.i * term.i) +
>                 0.32322325 * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>     END LOOP;
>
>     RETURN NEXT sigma_l + sigma_b + sigma_r;
> END;
> $poly_example$ LANGUAGE plpgsql STRICT IMMUTABLE;
>
> -- Gary Chambers
>
> /* Nothing fancy and nothing Microsoft! */

Re: Efficiency in Multiple Queries of Same Table in a PL/PgSQL Function

От
matthias schoeneich
Дата:
Hi,

as you don't seem to need the sigma_*'s, you could calc the whole result
with one query using:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION poly_example2() RETURNS SETOF FLOAT8 AS
$poly_example$
DECLARE    f_result   FLOAT8 := 0.0;    i_rowcount INT    := 0  ;

BEGIN  SELECT sum((RANDOM() * 100 ) * (term.i * term.i) + RANDOM()     *
(term.j * term.j) + term.k) +         sum((RANDOM() *  53 ) * (term.i * term.i) +(RANDOM()* 5) *
(term.j * term.j) + term.k) +         sum(    96.232234     * (term.i * term.i) + 0.32322325   *
(term.j * term.j) + term.k) ,         count(*)    INTO f_result  ,         i_rowcount   FROM blah AS term;
  IF i_rowcount > 0 THEN    RETURN NEXT f_result;  ELSE    RETURN NEXT 0;  END IF;
END;
$poly_example$ LANGUAGE plpgsql STRICT IMMUTABLE;

I've just put it in your plpgsql body to handle the case where table
blah contains no rows.

Matthias

Rob Sargent schrieb:
> I don't see anything in the assignment statements (sigma_* :=) which
> would prevent one from doing all three of them within a single for
> loop.  In fact, written as is there's some chance the values of the
> sigma_*s might change between repeated calls to the function since there
> is no explicit ordering of the rows returned from table blah.  Putting
> all the assignments into a single select from blah would at least say
> that the sigma values are from the same dataset per run.
>

> As to efficiency in general, I would expect the entire  table (~50 rows)
> would be entirely in memory after the first select, but you plan triples
> the time in the loop.  This expense would likely only be noticeable if
> the function itself is called /lots/.
>
> Gary Chambers wrote:
>> All...
>>
>> In the poly_example function below, I am emulating an actual
>> requirement by querying the same table three (3) times in order to
>> derive a solution to a problem.  Is this the best or most efficient
>> and effective way to implement this?  The table (which consists of
>> only five (5) FLOAT8 columns) I'm querying contains less than 50 rows.
>>  Thanks in advance for any insight or criticisms you offer.
>>
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION poly_example() RETURNS SETOF FLOAT8 AS
>> $poly_example$
>> DECLARE
>>     term blah%ROWTYPE;
>>     sigma_l FLOAT8 := 0.0;
>>     sigma_b FLOAT8 := 0.0;
>>     sigma_r FLOAT8 := 0.0;
>>
>> BEGIN
>>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>>         sigma_l := sigma_l + (RANDOM() * 100) * (term.i * term.i) +
>>                 RANDOM() * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>>     END LOOP;
>>
>>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>>         sigma_b := sigma_b + (RANDOM() * 53) * (term.i * term.i) +
>>                 (RANDOM() * 5) * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>>     END LOOP;
>>
>>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>>         sigma_r := sigma_r + 96.232234 * (term.i * term.i) +
>>                 0.32322325 * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>>     END LOOP;
>>
>>     RETURN NEXT sigma_l + sigma_b + sigma_r;
>> END;
>> $poly_example$ LANGUAGE plpgsql STRICT IMMUTABLE;
>>
>> -- Gary Chambers
>>
>> /* Nothing fancy and nothing Microsoft! */

Re: Efficiency in Multiple Queries of Same Table in a PL/PgSQL Function

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
But if I read the OP correctly the sigma are in fact used additively in
each row in blah.  "sigma_* = sigma_* +"

matthias schoeneich wrote:
> [...]
>>>     sigma_r FLOAT8 := 0.0;
>>>
>>> BEGIN
>>>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>>>         sigma_l := sigma_l + (RANDOM() * 100) * (term.i * term.i) +
>>>                 RANDOM() * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>>>     END LOOP;
>>>
>>>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>>>         sigma_b := sigma_b + (RANDOM() * 53) * (term.i * term.i) +
>>>                 (RANDOM() * 5) * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>>>     END LOOP;
>>>
>>>     FOR term in SELECT * FROM blah LOOP
>>>         sigma_r := sigma_r + 96.232234 * (term.i * term.i) +
>>>                 0.32322325 * (term.j * term.j) + term.k;
>>>     END LOOP;
>>>
>>>     RETURN NEXT sigma_l + sigma_b + sigma_r;
>>> END;
>>> $poly_example$ LANGUAGE plpgsql STRICT IMMUTABLE;
>>>
>>> -- Gary Chambers
>>>
>>> /* Nothing fancy and nothing Microsoft! */

Re: Efficiency in Multiple Queries of Same Table in a PL/PgSQL Function

Дата:
> But if I read the OP correctly the sigma are in fact used additively in each
> row in blah.  "sigma_* = sigma_* +"

I apologize, but I omitted a CASE statement prior to each calculation
of the values.  The coefficients for each calculation change depending
upon which case is valid.  I could probably rewrite it using arrays
and may, in fact, do so to eliminate the two added queries.  Thank you
for your input.