Обсуждение: \copy multiline

\copy multiline

От
Seb
Дата:
Hi,

I use \copy to output tables into CSV files:

\copy (SELECT ...) TO 'a.csv' CSV

but for long and complex SELECT statements, it is cumbersome and
confusing to write everything in a single line, and multiline statements
don't seem to be accepted.  Is there an alternative, or am I missing an
continuation-character/option/variable that would allow multiline
statements in this case?

Cheers,

--
Seb

Re: \copy multiline

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 21:21 -0600, Seb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use \copy to output tables into CSV files:
>
> \copy (SELECT ...) TO 'a.csv' CSV
>
> but for long and complex SELECT statements, it is cumbersome and
> confusing to write everything in a single line, and multiline statements
> don't seem to be accepted.  Is there an alternative, or am I missing an
> continuation-character/option/variable that would allow multiline
> statements in this case?

A simple way to workaround this issue is to create a view with your
query and use the view in the \copy meta-command of psql. Of course, it
means you need to have the permission to create views in the database.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: \copy multiline

От
Rob Sargentg
Дата:
On 11/29/2012 02:33 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 21:21 -0600, Seb wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use \copy to output tables into CSV files:
>>
>> \copy (SELECT ...) TO 'a.csv' CSV
>>
>> but for long and complex SELECT statements, it is cumbersome and
>> confusing to write everything in a single line, and multiline statements
>> don't seem to be accepted.  Is there an alternative, or am I missing an
>> continuation-character/option/variable that would allow multiline
>> statements in this case?
>>
> A simple way to workaround this issue is to create a view with your
> query and use the view in the \copy meta-command of psql. Of course, it
> means you need to have the permission to create views in the database.

Or maybe a function returning a table or set of records. Might be
slightly more flexible than the view.

Re: \copy multiline

От
Sebastian P. Luque
Дата:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:01:31 +0000,
Ben Morrow <ben@morrow.me.uk> wrote:

> Quoth spluque@gmail.com (Seb):
>> I use \copy to output tables into CSV files:

>> \copy (SELECT ...) TO 'a.csv' CSV

>> but for long and complex SELECT statements, it is cumbersome and
>> confusing to write everything in a single line, and multiline
>> statements don't seem to be accepted.  Is there an alternative, or am
>> I missing an continuation-character/option/variable that would allow
>> multiline statements in this case?

> CREATE TEMPORARY VIEW?

Of course, that's perfect.

Thanks!

--
Seb

Re: \copy multiline

От
Sebastian P. Luque
Дата:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:33:37 +0100,
Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 21:21 -0600, Seb wrote:
>> Hi,

>> I use \copy to output tables into CSV files:

>> \copy (SELECT ...) TO 'a.csv' CSV

>> but for long and complex SELECT statements, it is cumbersome and
>> confusing to write everything in a single line, and multiline
>> statements don't seem to be accepted.  Is there an alternative, or am
>> I missing an continuation-character/option/variable that would allow
>> multiline statements in this case?

> A simple way to workaround this issue is to create a view with your
> query and use the view in the \copy meta-command of psql. Of course,
> it means you need to have the permission to create views in the
> database.

Thanks.  Someone also suggested creating a temporary view, which helps
keep the schema sane and clean.

Cheers,

--
Seb