Обсуждение: Archives too slow

Archives too slow

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Archives too slow

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I can confirm the performance currently is terrible.

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
[ There is text before PGP section. ]

[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

[ Decrypting message... End of raw data. ]

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
I'm going to look at mirroring it onto the same server that runs
ftp.postgresql.org ... archives is the worst site that we run, since its
all a bunch of little flat files, so when it gets indexed by the various
search engines, disk I/O goes through the roof ... we had googlebot index
it once where we had to literally shut down the server for a few minutes
while we waited for load to drop ...

Will work on this this weekend

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

----

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Archives too slow

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
I always didn't understand why not have static pages for mailing list
archive if they already generated.

Another thing to consider is using
lightweight frontend with ability to cache pages generated by heavy backend.
www.pgsql.ru uses 3-servers setup - frontend (apache+mod_accel),
backend ( apache + modperl ) and thttpd (very light and fast) for serving
binary data (images, for example). Only frontend interacts with user, so slow
clients (bad connectivity) don't bother heavy backend and, consequently,
db server.

    Oleg
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
The reason why they are dynamic was so that we could 'strip' the garbage
out for the search engines, so that they didn't search all of the extra
verbage, only the message itself ... it also meant that if we changed the
format (ie. added a new list to the left menu), we didn't have to
regenerate all the pages ...

I'm open to moving them back to static myself, if nobody objects *shrug*

In fact, if we get rid of the php code altogether, we could go with what
one other suggested, and use a 'light weight' web server instead of apache
... you mention thttpd below, someone else mentioned one called Boa(?) ...
never having used either, I'm flexible either way ...

Does anyone care if I get rid of the .php code?  Before I do that,
assuming no ... does anyone know a way of 'hiding' sections of HTML code
from search engines?  Right now, we're doing that with the PHP, and I nkow
there is/was a <!-- --> way of doing it, but someone (Oleg?) mentioned
that it isn't very consistent in being honored by search engines ... ?

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> I always didn't understand why not have static pages for mailing list
> archive if they already generated.
>
> Another thing to consider is using
> lightweight frontend with ability to cache pages generated by heavy backend.
> www.pgsql.ru uses 3-servers setup - frontend (apache+mod_accel),
> backend ( apache + modperl ) and thttpd (very light and fast) for serving
> binary data (images, for example). Only frontend interacts with user, so slow
> clients (bad connectivity) don't bother heavy backend and, consequently,
> db server.
>

>     Oleg
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>                http://archives.postgresql.org
>>

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

----

Re: Archives too slow

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> The reason why they are dynamic was so that we could 'strip' the garbage
> out for the search engines, so that they didn't search all of the extra
> verbage, only the message itself ... it also meant that if we changed the
> format (ie. added a new list to the left menu), we didn't have to
> regenerate all the pages ...

You always could use SSI for that.

> I'm open to moving them back to static myself, if nobody objects *shrug*
>
> In fact, if we get rid of the php code altogether, we could go with what
> one other suggested, and use a 'light weight' web server instead of apache
> ... you mention thttpd below, someone else mentioned one called Boa(?) ...
> never having used either, I'm flexible either way ...

thttpd is nice for simple binary data, but currently we evaluate lighttpd
http://jan.kneschke.de/projects/lighttpd/, which looks realy powerful.
It's faster than thttpd having much more features.

> Does anyone care if I get rid of the .php code?  Before I do that,
> assuming no ... does anyone know a way of 'hiding' sections of HTML code
> from search engines?  Right now, we're doing that with the PHP, and I nkow
> there is/was a <!-- --> way of doing it, but someone (Oleg?) mentioned
> that it isn't very consistent in being honored by search engines ... ?

<!-- --> doesn't help, because comment tags also hide content from browser :)
In principle, smart search engines should understand firm elements
like navigation bar and penalize their weight. We do that, at least.

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
> > I always didn't understand why not have static pages for mailing list
> > archive if they already generated.
> >
> > Another thing to consider is using
> > lightweight frontend with ability to cache pages generated by heavy backend.
> > www.pgsql.ru uses 3-servers setup - frontend (apache+mod_accel),
> > backend ( apache + modperl ) and thttpd (very light and fast) for serving
> > binary data (images, for example). Only frontend interacts with user, so slow
> > clients (bad connectivity) don't bother heavy backend and, consequently,
> > db server.
> >

> >     Oleg
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> >> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >> TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
> >>
> >>                http://archives.postgresql.org
> >>

> >     Regards,
> >         Oleg
> > Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> > Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> > Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> > phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
> >      joining column's datatypes do not match
> >

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Archives too slow

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
<!-- --> doesn't help, because comment tags also hide content from browser :)
In principle, smart search engines should understand firm elements
like navigation bar and penalize their weight. We do that, at least.

I think you misunderstood this.
The comment tags do not hide things from the browser, think of this:

<!--noindex-->
stuff we want hidden
<!--/noindex-->
stuff we don't want hidden

... John

Re: Archives too slow

От
Josh Berkus
Folks:

Archives are more than slow now.  They're down.   And the rest of
www.postgresql.org is molasses-slow as well.

I have another suggestion:  Command Prompt has offered to host the archives;
they have excess capacity and believe that they can make them run faster.
Why not let them?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks:
>
> Archives are more than slow now.  They're down.   And the rest of
> www.postgresql.org is molasses-slow as well.
>
> I have another suggestion:  Command Prompt has offered to host the archives;
> they have excess capacity and believe that they can make them run faster.
> Why not let them?

'k, I must have missed the offer, but sure ... I can work with Joshua to
get the scripts and all put into place ...

----

Re: Archives too slow

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Folks:
> >
> > Archives are more than slow now.  They're down.   And the rest of
> > www.postgresql.org is molasses-slow as well.
> >
> > I have another suggestion:  Command Prompt has offered to host the archives;
> > they have excess capacity and believe that they can make them run faster.
> > Why not let them?
>
> 'k, I must have missed the offer, but sure ... I can work with Joshua to
> get the scripts and all put into place ...

Agreed.  I got the offer from Joshua Drake via private email but was not
sure how to address the issue.

Re: Archives too slow

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, John Hansen wrote:

> <!-- --> doesn't help, because comment tags also hide content from browser :)
> In principle, smart search engines should understand firm elements
> like navigation bar and penalize their weight. We do that, at least.
>
> I think you misunderstood this.
> The comment tags do not hide things from the browser, think of this:

> <!--noindex-->
> stuff we want hidden
> <!--/noindex-->
> stuff we don't want hidden

Aha, got that. I don't know such syntax and not sure if it's well supported.
I know about <NOINDEX>.....</NOINDEX> by atomz.com, though

> ... John

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Dave Page"

That's the problem I think - there is no standard, just lot's of
variations :-(

/D

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Folks:
>>>
>>> Archives are more than slow now.  They're down.   And the rest of
>>> www.postgresql.org is molasses-slow as well.
>>>
>>> I have another suggestion:  Command Prompt has offered to host the archives;
>>> they have excess capacity and believe that they can make them run faster.
>>> Why not let them?
>>
>> 'k, I must have missed the offer, but sure ... I can work with Joshua to
>> get the scripts and all put into place ...
>
> Agreed.  I got the offer from Joshua Drake via private email but was not
> sure how to address the issue.

Joshua and I are talking about it ... :)

----

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, John Hansen wrote:
>
>> <!-- --> doesn't help, because comment tags also hide content from browser :)
>> In principle, smart search engines should understand firm elements
>> like navigation bar and penalize their weight. We do that, at least.
>>
>> I think you misunderstood this.
>> The comment tags do not hide things from the browser, think of this:

>> <!--noindex-->
>> stuff we want hidden
>> <!--/noindex-->
>> stuff we don't want hidden
>
> Aha, got that. I don't know such syntax and not sure if it's well supported.
> I know about <NOINDEX>.....</NOINDEX> by atomz.com, though

Does Google have an equivalent that they honor?

----

Re: Archives too slow

От
"John Hansen"

> > Aha, got that. I don't know such syntax and not sure if
> it's well supported.
> > I know about <NOINDEX>.....</NOINDEX> by atomz.com, though
>
> Does Google have an equivalent that they honor?

I've asked google, and their reply was consistent with the information available on their website.
Google does not allow cloaking, and any attempt to do so, will result in a permanent ban.

They define cloaking as presenting different content to search engines as to what regular visitors see.

... John

Re: Archives too slow

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, John Hansen wrote:

>>> Aha, got that. I don't know such syntax and not sure if
>> it's well supported.
>>> I know about <NOINDEX>.....</NOINDEX> by atomz.com, though
>>
>> Does Google have an equivalent that they honor?
>>

> I've asked google, and their reply was consistent with the information
> available on their website. Google does not allow cloaking, and any
> attempt to do so, will result in a permanent ban.
>
> They define cloaking as presenting different content to search engines
> as to what regular visitors see.

Guess they don't check often then since we've been doing it for months now
:)

----

Re: Archives too slow

От
"John Hansen"

> > They define cloaking as presenting different content to
> search engines
> > as to what regular visitors see.
>
> Guess they don't check often then since we've been doing it
> for months now
> :)

Yea, I think tho, that it's meant as a way to discourage so-called SEO's from creating pages whose sole purpose is to
skewthe
ranking.

One could for example just join all these offers of link exchanges one gets, and just not show them to the search
engines.That
would improve your own ranking in a positive way, hehe.

... John

Btw, marc, could you tar.bz2 up the archives for me,... I'm moving machines and will need to recrawl all of it.