Обсуждение: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Marc,

I always seem to get problems checking out the earthdistance contrib
module from CVS. Tom mentioned in the past that this was because you had
experimented with it when trying to split the repository.

I can get at it if I checkout pgsql vs. pgsql-server (or vice-versa, I
forget which), but as this module is also missing from cvsweb, it would
be good if you could fix it. Please :-)

Cheers, Dave.

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> I always seem to get problems checking out the earthdistance contrib
> module from CVS. Tom mentioned in the past that this was because you had
> experimented with it when trying to split the repository.
>
> I can get at it if I checkout pgsql vs. pgsql-server (or vice-versa, I
> forget which), but as this module is also missing from cvsweb, it would
> be good if you could fix it. Please :-)

Unfortunately, to 'fix it', I'm not sure of the risks, since it causes
some major headaches when i pulled it out in the first place :(  If
nothing else, should probably wait until *after* the release, not middle
of beta ...

----

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > I always seem to get problems checking out the earthdistance contrib
> > module from CVS. Tom mentioned in the past that this was because you had
> > experimented with it when trying to split the repository.
> >
> > I can get at it if I checkout pgsql vs. pgsql-server (or vice-versa, I
> > forget which), but as this module is also missing from cvsweb, it would
> > be good if you could fix it. Please :-)
>
> Unfortunately, to 'fix it', I'm not sure of the risks, since it causes
> some major headaches when i pulled it out in the first place :(  If
> nothing else, should probably wait until *after* the release, not middle
> of beta ...

This just a CVS checkout issue.  It shouldn't affect the actual CVS
files.  I think it has been pushed off too long that we should just do
it now.  How many years must it be broken?

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Dave Page"

OK. Has it made it onto a todo list anywhere, or should I remind you
(which I'd rather not :-) )?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Dave Page"

Which reminds me of why I reported it in the first place - I already get
errors about it being missing. I'm not sure things could get much worse!

/D

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Dave Page wrote:

If I correctly remember the issue, if I merge earthdistance back into the
main source tree (which is a simple mv operation and cvs update on the
modules file), it will potentially break everyone's currently checked out
CVS source, since the 'paths' will change in the CVS/Root file ...

I'm willing to do it, since all the work I generally do, I do with a fresh
check out ...

Am CC'ng in -hackers, as they will potentially be *the most* affected by
doing this ...

----

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Marc,
>>>
>>> I always seem to get problems checking out the earthdistance contrib
>>> module from CVS. Tom mentioned in the past that this was because you had
>>> experimented with it when trying to split the repository.
>>>
>>> I can get at it if I checkout pgsql vs. pgsql-server (or vice-versa, I
>>> forget which), but as this module is also missing from cvsweb, it would
>>> be good if you could fix it. Please :-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, to 'fix it', I'm not sure of the risks, since it causes
>> some major headaches when i pulled it out in the first place :(  If
>> nothing else, should probably wait until *after* the release, not middle
>> of beta ...
>
> This just a CVS checkout issue.  It shouldn't affect the actual CVS
> files.  I think it has been pushed off too long that we should just do
> it now.  How many years must it be broken?

as far as I know, the only thing that is 'broken' is cvsweb ... and since
it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks that ...
but, it isn't 'just a CVS checkout issue', unless you mean that *everyone*
working on code is going to have to re-check out their source tree, which
then it is a simple matter :)

Note that 'cvs checkout -P pgsql' is, and always has been, the method of
checking out/in code ... and I haven't had any reports of that being
broken ... have you?

----

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > This just a CVS checkout issue.  It shouldn't affect the actual CVS
> > files.  I think it has been pushed off too long that we should just do
> > it now.  How many years must it be broken?
>
> as far as I know, the only thing that is 'broken' is cvsweb ... and since
> it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks that ...
> but, it isn't 'just a CVS checkout issue', unless you mean that *everyone*
> working on code is going to have to re-check out their source tree, which
> then it is a simple matter :)
>
> Note that 'cvs checkout -P pgsql' is, and always has been, the method of
> checking out/in code ... and I haven't had any reports of that being
> broken ... have you?

I have just seen too many problem reports.  I don't remember the cause.
I have no problem doing a fresh checkout.  In fact it is easier to do
this during beta than it is any other time.

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> If I correctly remember the issue, if I merge earthdistance back into
> the main source tree (which is a simple mv operation and cvs update
> on the modules file), it will potentially break everyone's currently
> checked out CVS source, since the 'paths' will change in the CVS/Root
> file ...

This whole thing has been a mess that has been dragging on for too long.
I suggest that after the release we make a clean break and put things
back the way they were before (that is, one single pgsql module).

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> This just a CVS checkout issue.  It shouldn't affect the actual CVS
>>> files.  I think it has been pushed off too long that we should just do
>>> it now.  How many years must it be broken?
>>
>> as far as I know, the only thing that is 'broken' is cvsweb ... and since
>> it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks that ...
>> but, it isn't 'just a CVS checkout issue', unless you mean that *everyone*
>> working on code is going to have to re-check out their source tree, which
>> then it is a simple matter :)
>>
>> Note that 'cvs checkout -P pgsql' is, and always has been, the method of
>> checking out/in code ... and I haven't had any reports of that being
>> broken ... have you?
>
> I have just seen too many problem reports.

I wish ppl would actually post these reports publicly ... the only one
that I'm aware of is the cvsweb one that Dave just posted *shrug*

----

Re: [HACKERS] Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> If I correctly remember the issue, if I merge earthdistance back into
>> the main source tree (which is a simple mv operation and cvs update
>> on the modules file), it will potentially break everyone's currently
>> checked out CVS source, since the 'paths' will change in the CVS/Root
>> file ...
>
> This whole thing has been a mess that has been dragging on for too long.
> I suggest that after the release we make a clean break and put things
> back the way they were before (that is, one single pgsql module).

Agreed, but Bruce is calling for this *during* beta, which I'm not
comfortable with ... if anyone else wants to agree with Bruce, I'll do it,
as I know it won't affect me ...

----

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> as far as I know, the only thing that is 'broken' is cvsweb ... and since
> it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks that ...

The problem is that
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/
works, but
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/
does not, and of course the former view doesn't include earthdistance.

I'm all for merging earthdistance back in and renaming the module back
to just "pgsql".  If it forces a fresh checkout, that's no big deal from
my end, and I think it would get rid of a lot of confusion in the long
run.

You had better give -hackers some notice, of course.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> If I correctly remember the issue, if I merge earthdistance back into
> >> the main source tree (which is a simple mv operation and cvs update
> >> on the modules file), it will potentially break everyone's currently
> >> checked out CVS source, since the 'paths' will change in the CVS/Root
> >> file ...
> >
> > This whole thing has been a mess that has been dragging on for too long.
> > I suggest that after the release we make a clean break and put things
> > back the way they were before (that is, one single pgsql module).
>
> Agreed, but Bruce is calling for this *during* beta, which I'm not
> comfortable with ... if anyone else wants to agree with Bruce, I'll do it,
> as I know it won't affect me ...

Seems we have 100% agreement so far.  Beta is a better time to require a
cvs fresh checkout than during development.

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> as far as I know, the only thing that is 'broken' is cvsweb ... and since
>> it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks that ...
>
> The problem is that
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/
> works, but
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/

pgsql is an 'alias' that merges pgsql-server and contrib modules ...
cvsweb doesn't see it, as it only looks as the disk layout :(

> I'm all for merging earthdistance back in and renaming the module back
> to just "pgsql".  If it forces a fresh checkout, that's no big deal from
> my end, and I think it would get rid of a lot of confusion in the long
> run.
>
> You had better give -hackers some notice, of course.

Baring anyone being against this, I'll make the changes tomorrow and post
to the list once finished ... shouldn't take more then 5 minutes, but this
gives ~24hrs notice for anyone working on something that they'd like to
save :)

----

Re: [HACKERS] Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I trust those of us using CVSup will see the right thing, if we pick up the
> new CVSROOT/modules file?

it will most likely require a new checkout for you as well, since you'll
be still using teh 'old paths' ...

----

Re: [HACKERS] Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>>
>>> as far as I know, the only thing that is 'broken' is cvsweb ... and
>>> since
>>> it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks
>>> that ...
>>

>> The problem is that
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/
>> works, but
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/
>

> pgsql is an 'alias' that merges pgsql-server and contrib modules ...
> cvsweb doesn't see it, as it only looks as the disk layout :(
>
>> I'm all for merging earthdistance back in and renaming the module
>> back to just "pgsql".  If it forces a fresh checkout, that's no big
>> deal from my end, and I think it would get rid of a lot of confusion
>> in the long run.
>>
>> You had better give -hackers some notice, of course.
>

> Baring anyone being against this, I'll make the changes tomorrow and
> post to the list once finished ... shouldn't take more then 5 minutes,
> but this gives ~24hrs notice for anyone working on something that
> they'd like to save :)
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
pgsql-server won't get it, pgsql will get it ... but as pgsql is an alias,
and not a physical directory, cvsweb can't see it unless you go into the
contrib directory ...

But ... we're fixing that tomorrow ...

----