Обсуждение: Movement of FAQ's

Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I have moved the Cygwin FAQ to FAQ_CYGWIN and created a new Win32 FAQ
called FAQ_MINGW.  Please update the web site list.  Thanks.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 13:05, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have moved the Cygwin FAQ to FAQ_CYGWIN and created a new Win32 FAQ
> called FAQ_MINGW.  Please update the web site list.  Thanks.

Have you spoken with the cygwin/win32 projects about this? I was
involved in a discussion just the other day on how best to handle cygwin
vs. native vs. generic win32 issues that seems to be mixed within the
two projects FAQ's; I'm wondering if some guidelines came out of that
discussion.

Robert Treat

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have moved the Cygwin FAQ to FAQ_CYGWIN and created a new Win32 FAQ
> called FAQ_MINGW.  Please update the web site list.  Thanks.

Ummm, wouldn't it make more sense to call it FAQ_WIN32?  MingW is the
compiler, no?  I thought Borland worked as well?

----

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Bruce,

I've updated the files. It might be worth replacing the FAQ_MINGW.html
with a tweaked version of
http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html. The vast
majority of it is not installer specific, and it does include most of
the FAQs we've seen so far.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have moved the Cygwin FAQ to FAQ_CYGWIN and created a new Win32 FAQ
> > called FAQ_MINGW.  Please update the web site list.  Thanks.
>
> Ummm, wouldn't it make more sense to call it FAQ_WIN32?  MingW is the
> compiler, no?  I thought Borland worked as well?

No, MinGW is the compile environment.  Borland and MSVC only compile
clients and these FAQ's don't deal with that.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Yes, most is installer-specific but there is some overlap.  Let me work
it out with Magnus.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
"Dave Page"

Err, OK. You did notice that I wrote it, not Magnus?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
> > Yes, most is installer-specific but there is some overlap.
> > Let me work it out with Magnus.
> >

> Err, OK. You did notice that I wrote it, not Magnus?

Oh, no I didn't.  Would you like to make adjustments to it and/or
FAQ_MINGW so they point to each other and don't duplicate information?

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
"Dave Page"

I'm not entirely convinced that's the right answer. The main concern is
making things easy for the users - that's what I've tried to do with the
installer faq (which I now notice Magnus has been editting!) by covering
both installer specific stuff, and non-installer specific; a kindof 1
stop shop for all Win32 faqs. I appreciate that we don't necessarily
want the installer stuff in the main tree however. What about making the
version in the tree a subset of our one, simply covering the
mingw/compiliation issues which I can include in one standalone section
in our faq?

Regard,s Dave.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
Dave Page wrote:
> > Oh, no I didn't.  Would you like to make adjustments to it
> > and/or FAQ_MINGW so they point to each other and don't
> > duplicate information?
>
> I'm not entirely convinced that's the right answer. The main concern is
> making things easy for the users - that's what I've tried to do with the
> installer faq (which I now notice Magnus has been editting!) by covering
> both installer specific stuff, and non-installer specific; a kindof 1
> stop shop for all Win32 faqs. I appreciate that we don't necessarily
> want the installer stuff in the main tree however. What about making the
> version in the tree a subset of our one, simply covering the
> mingw/compiliation issues which I can include in one standalone section
> in our faq?

Both FAQ's are going to change over time, I am sure.  I see no problem
in giving them a web link to the FAQ_MINGW for compilation issues.
Having the Mingw outside our CVS doesn't make sense to me.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
"Dave Page"

No, and I don't think it should be outside. What I would like to avoid
if possible though, is having win32 problems split across different
FAQs. Most end users won't care about whether something is a Mingw or
Installer issue and will just get frustrated if they cannot find the
info they need.

I guess the best answer might be to clearly mark the Mingw FAQ as a
diy-compilation FAQ, and include a link for 'normal' end users to the
installer FAQ in which we try to include all relevant q&a's.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> No, and I don't think it should be outside. What I would like to avoid
> if possible though, is having win32 problems split across different
> FAQs. Most end users won't care about whether something is a Mingw or
> Installer issue and will just get frustrated if they cannot find the
> info they need.
>
> I guess the best answer might be to clearly mark the Mingw FAQ as a
> diy-compilation FAQ, and include a link for 'normal' end users to the
> installer FAQ in which we try to include all relevant q&a's.

Is there a reason why this can't just be one FAQ with a 'Compiler Issues'
section?  Are there *that* many Compiler specific issues that it warrants
a whole FAQ to itself?

----

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>
> > No, and I don't think it should be outside. What I would like to avoid
> > if possible though, is having win32 problems split across different
> > FAQs. Most end users won't care about whether something is a Mingw or
> > Installer issue and will just get frustrated if they cannot find the
> > info they need.
> >
> > I guess the best answer might be to clearly mark the Mingw FAQ as a
> > diy-compilation FAQ, and include a link for 'normal' end users to the
> > installer FAQ in which we try to include all relevant q&a's.
>
> Is there a reason why this can't just be one FAQ with a 'Compiler Issues'
> section?  Are there *that* many Compiler specific issues that it warrants
> a whole FAQ to itself?

The compiler issues are of little interest to people who are downloading
pginstaller, which is the majority of people.  If he wants to pull the
install information into the pginstaller FAQ, fine, but then we don't
have instructions in our CVS on how to build using MinGW.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I have updated the MinGW FAQ with a new heading and pointing to the
pginstaller FAQ:

                 Compiling PostgreSQL On Native Win32 FAQ

   Last updated: Thu Oct 14 18:22:57 EDT 2004

   Current maintainer: Bruce Momjian (pgman@candle.pha.pa.us)

   The most recent version of this document can be viewed at
   http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/project/win32.html.

   The FAQ for running PostgreSQL on native Win32 is at
   http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html.

   The native Win32 port is built from source using MinGW tools.  There
   is also a precompiled binary installer called
   pginstaller which you can download from
   http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller.  It is a fully native build and
   uses no additional software like MinGW.

> > > I'm not entirely convinced that's the right answer. The
> > main concern
> > > is making things easy for the users - that's what I've tried to do
> > > with the installer faq (which I now notice Magnus has been
> > editting!)
> > > by covering both installer specific stuff, and
> > non-installer specific;
> > > a kindof 1 stop shop for all Win32 faqs. I appreciate that we don't
> > > necessarily want the installer stuff in the main tree however. What
> > > about making the version in the tree a subset of our one, simply
> > > covering the mingw/compiliation issues which I can include in one
> > > standalone section in our faq?
> >
> > Both FAQ's are going to change over time, I am sure.  I see
> > no problem in giving them a web link to the FAQ_MINGW for
> > compilation issues.
> > Having the Mingw outside our CVS doesn't make sense to me.
>
> No, and I don't think it should be outside. What I would like to avoid
> if possible though, is having win32 problems split across different
> FAQs. Most end users won't care about whether something is a Mingw or
> Installer issue and will just get frustrated if they cannot find the
> info they need.
>
> I guess the best answer might be to clearly mark the Mingw FAQ as a
> diy-compilation FAQ, and include a link for 'normal' end users to the
> installer FAQ in which we try to include all relevant q&a's.
>
> Regards, Dave.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Looks good to me - thanks!

Regards, Dave.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От
Bruce Momjian
Dave Page wrote:
> Looks good to me - thanks!

Are you going to modify the pginstaller FAQ to remove mention of
building and point to the MinGW FAQ?

> Regards, Dave.

Re: Movement of FAQ's

От