Обсуждение: "current" interactive docs busted

"current" interactive docs busted

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/index.html gets a 404 now,
although http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/index.html works ok.
The problem stems from switching the "current" label from 7.4 to 8.0rc2.  I
think we need to switch this back (I'm not actually sure this was done on
purpose) since really 7.4 is the current release.  If people want a nice url
for the developer docs, we could go ahead and add another label of
development or cvs or something like that to point to the developer docs, but
current should point to the current release and interactivity should work.

--
Robert Treat

Re: "current" interactive docs busted

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/index.html gets a 404 now,
> although http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/index.html works ok.
> The problem stems from switching the "current" label from 7.4 to 8.0rc2.  I
> think we need to switch this back (I'm not actually sure this was done on
> purpose) since really 7.4 is the current release.  If people want a nice url
> for the developer docs, we could go ahead and add another label of
> development or cvs or something like that to point to the developer docs, but
> current should point to the current release and interactivity should work.

Not a bad thought.  Having a permanent bounce or link to the development
docs may have its uses.  :)

For the moment, I'm wondering if a bounce/redirect from:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/index.html

to:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/index.htm

... would be useful?

(As far as I know I don't have commit access to CVS so I'm not sure if I
can add one)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: "current" interactive docs busted

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Sorry, my fault - I preloaded the 8.0rc2 docs as a test forgetting at the time that 'current' is now generated using a
selectmax(version) on the docs table. I've dropped those docs now so all should be fine following the next rebuild.

For the record, including dev docs should be easy enough, but I would be inclined to only have a static version. The
'current'version would have to be hard coded of course...

Regards, Dave.

PS. I'm back in the office from tomorrow so will start on moving/merging svr2, svr4 & wwwmaster to our new box kindly
donatedby Gavin M. Roy.

The problem stems from switching the "current" label from 7.4 to 8.0rc2.  I
think we need to switch this back (I'm not actually sure this was done on
purpose) since really 7.4 is the current release.  If people want a nice url
for the developer docs, we could go ahead and add another label of
development or cvs or something like that to point to the developer docs, but
current should point to the current release and interactivity should work.

--
Robert Treat

Re: "current" interactive docs busted

От
Justin Clift
Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> For the record, including dev docs should be easy enough, but I would be inclined to only have a static version. The
'current'version would have to be hard coded of course...

 From a "just had an idea" point of view, if the dev docs allowed
comments, it might make for an interesting way of getting people to
review and contribute to them prior to each official release.

?

> Regards, Dave.
>
> PS. I'm back in the office from tomorrow so will start on moving/merging svr2, svr4 & wwwmaster to our new box kindly
donatedby Gavin M. Roy.

Hey, cool.  :)

Hope he's going to be listed on a Contributors/Sponsors/Something page
for it too.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: "current" interactive docs busted

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
On January 5, 2005 04:36 am, Justin Clift wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > For the record, including dev docs should be easy enough, but I would be
> > inclined to only have a static version. The 'current' version would have
> > to be hard coded of course...
>
>  From a "just had an idea" point of view, if the dev docs allowed
> comments, it might make for an interesting way of getting people to
> review and contribute to them prior to each official release.

I like the idea

Robert B

Re: "current" interactive docs busted

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 07:41, Robert Bernier wrote:
> On January 5, 2005 04:36 am, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Dave Page wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > For the record, including dev docs should be easy enough, but I would be
> > > inclined to only have a static version. The 'current' version would have
> > > to be hard coded of course...
> >
> >  From a "just had an idea" point of view, if the dev docs allowed
> > comments, it might make for an interesting way of getting people to
> > review and contribute to them prior to each official release.

Would the idea make sense when we're not in release mode? I mean Dave
had loaded the docs included with RC1, but once 8.0 goes out this would
mean loading docs that would have to be built from cvs every day (or
maybe even more often than that). I see issues with page names and
content changing during development that make me unsure how useful this
would be in practice.

Robert Treat

Re: "current" interactive docs busted

Дата:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>>> From a "just had an idea" point of view, if the dev docs allowed
>>> comments, it might make for an interesting way of getting people to
>>> review and contribute to them prior to each official release.

> Would the idea make sense when we're not in release mode? I mean Dave
> had loaded the docs included with RC1, but once 8.0 goes out this would
> mean loading docs that would have to be built from cvs every day (or
> maybe even more often than that). I see issues with page names and
> content changing during development that make me unsure how useful this
> would be in practice.

Good point.  And it wouldn't be a whole lot better in "release mode",
either, because we tend to make pushes on the documentation during that
timeframe.  I did some rearrangement just a few days ago ...

            regards, tom lane