Обсуждение: Comment 1976 added to page installation.html of version 7.4

Comment 1976 added to page installation.html of version 7.4

От
nobody
Author: kwanghui Lim <lim_kwang_hui@yahoo.com>
----
Dear Moderator,

I sent the earlier comment (attached below).
pl note some changes are needed:
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createdb test
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql test

I would appreciate if you could update those two lines.
Basically, on debian systems, the executable files are not stored in /usr/local/pgsql/bin but at
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/instead.

Many Thanks

.kwang.

-----------message as presently posted online ------------------
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/installation.html

kwang <lim_kwang_hui AT yahoo.com>
06 Jan 2005 15:42:53

On Debian Systems, the "short version" of the setup above should use the following, including the different
directories.

to install the package
apt-get update
apt-get install postgresql

initialize the database system
su
su - postgres
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgres/data
/etc/init.d/postgresql start

that's it. once running, you can use it, e.g.
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test
----
Manual page: http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/installation.html
Reject:      http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comments.php?action=reject&id=1976
Edit:        http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comment-edit.php?id=1976
Delete:      http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comments.php?action=delete&id=1976

Re: Comment 1976 added to page installation.html of version

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi all,

This seems more appropriate to be forwarded to the Debian packager, or
the docs people.

Any suggestions? (I'm not sure who looks after the Debian packages)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

nobody wrote:
> Author: kwanghui Lim <lim_kwang_hui@yahoo.com>
> ----
> Dear Moderator,
>
> I sent the earlier comment (attached below).
> pl note some changes are needed:
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createdb test
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql test
>
> I would appreciate if you could update those two lines.
> Basically, on debian systems, the executable files are not stored in /usr/local/pgsql/bin but at
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/instead.

> Many Thanks
>
> .kwang.
>
> -----------message as presently posted online ------------------
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/installation.html
>
> kwang <lim_kwang_hui AT yahoo.com>
> 06 Jan 2005 15:42:53
>
> On Debian Systems, the "short version" of the setup above should use the following, including the different
directories.

> to install the package
> apt-get update
> apt-get install postgresql
>
> initialize the database system
> su
> su - postgres
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgres/data
> /etc/init.d/postgresql start
>
> that's it. once running, you can use it, e.g.
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test
> ----
> Manual page: http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/installation.html
> Reject:      http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comments.php?action=reject&id=1976
> Edit:        http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comment-edit.php?id=1976
> Delete:      http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comments.php?action=delete&id=1976

"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: Comment 1976 added to page installation.html of version

Дата:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> This seems more appropriate to be forwarded to the Debian packager, or
> the docs people.

The whole thing belongs nowhere in our docs anyway.  It is not our
business to document decisions made by downstream packagers; it is
theirs.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>
>>This seems more appropriate to be forwarded to the Debian packager, or
>>the docs people.
>
> The whole thing belongs nowhere in our docs anyway.  It is not our
> business to document decisions made by downstream packagers; it is
> theirs.

Ok.

Is is worth making a note of, that its different for Debian, just so
that people using Debian but new to PostgreSQL will be aware of it?

In the SysAdmin part of the docs, we document shared memory (and
similar) settings for various platforms, so I was thinking along that line.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: Comment 1976 added to page installation.html of version

Дата:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> Is is worth making a note of, that its different for Debian, just so
> that people using Debian but new to PostgreSQL will be aware of it?

The entire installation chapter is meant to be read *only* by people who
are installing from source, and it already says so.  Perhaps we could
add a line or two to the chapter heading to make that clearer ...

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>
>>Is is worth making a note of, that its different for Debian, just so
>>that people using Debian but new to PostgreSQL will be aware of it?
>
> The entire installation chapter is meant to be read *only* by people who
> are installing from source, and it already says so.  Perhaps we could
> add a line or two to the chapter heading to make that clearer ...

Heh, it's probably just that I didn't notice it, which I do a lot. ;)

+ Justin