Обсуждение: for your approval, changes to the existing SRA description at postgresql.org

for your approval, changes to the existing SRA description at postgresql.org

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
Guys, Justin,

Here's what I've written for the company description at techdocs:

==========================

Software Research Associates (SRA), founded in 1967, is one of the oldest
software houses in Japan, http://www.sra.co.jp. With branches throughout the
world and founder of the GNU Software Service (the Wingnut project
http://www.sra.co.jp/wingnut/), it has become one of the largest backers of
the Open Source movement in Asia today.

SRA America, http://www.sraapowergres.com, which was founded in 1984, is a New
York City based consultancy that offers PostgreSQL services that includes
consulting, development, migration and training.

Number of Employees: 1200+
Office Location(s): Tokyo, NewYork, Amstelveen (Netherlands), Cupertino
(California), Bangalore (India)
World Regions Covered: Asia, Europe, North America
Hours of Support: 24 hours
Languages supported : Japanese, English, more

Note: SRA currently employs a number of PostgreSQL community members that
include Bruce Momjiam (CORE) and Robert Bernier (advocacy).

========================

--
Robert Bernier
 PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst,

  Tel:  212.244.8833

Re: for your approval, changes to the existing SRA description at

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> Guys, Justin,
>
> Here's what I've written for the company description at techdocs:
>
> ==========================
>
> Software Research Associates (SRA), founded in 1967, is one of the oldest
> software houses in Japan, http://www.sra.co.jp. With branches throughout the
> world and founder of the GNU Software Service (the Wingnut project
> http://www.sra.co.jp/wingnut/), it has become one of the largest backers of
> the Open Source movement in Asia today.
<snip>

Hmmm... not sure here.  In Australia, the term "Wingnut" has a meaning
associated with someone who is crazy (not in any kind of good way) and
not someone to be associated with.

Would having a mention of SRA with something called "Wingnut" be a
potential negative for the customers you're targeting this description
on techdocs to?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: for your approval, changes to the existing SRA description at postgresql.org

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
On January 24, 2005 08:33 pm, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Software Research Associates (SRA), founded in 1967, is one of the oldest
> > software houses in Japan, http://www.sra.co.jp. With branches throughout
> > the world and founder of the GNU Software Service (the Wingnut project
> > http://www.sra.co.jp/wingnut/), it has become one of the largest backers
> > of the Open Source movement in Asia today.
>
> Hmmm... not sure here.  In Australia, the term "Wingnut" has a meaning
> associated with someone who is crazy (not in any kind of good way) and
> not someone to be associated with.

It used to be true in Canada back in the 60's but the term fell out of disuse.
The fact of the matter is that this is the name of the project. It was coined
after one of the SRA seniour execs had a meeting with Stallman back in the
80's. If it's lasted this long and not been commented upon then why change it
now?

Re: for your approval, changes to the existing SRA description at

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Robert Bernier wrote:
<snip>
>>Hmmm... not sure here.  In Australia, the term "Wingnut" has a meaning
>>associated with someone who is crazy (not in any kind of good way) and
>>not someone to be associated with.
>
> It used to be true in Canada back in the 60's but the term fell out of disuse.
> The fact of the matter is that this is the name of the project. It was coined
> after one of the SRA seniour execs had a meeting with Stallman back in the
> 80's. If it's lasted this long and not been commented upon then why change it
> now?

Heh, I was just pointing it out in case it was important.  :)

If you feel the entry is suitable, I can't see anything wrong with it.

Do you have commit access to the right CVS repository?  (Might be Robert
Treat's thing)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: for your approval, changes to the existing SRA

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Robert Bernier wrote:

> On January 24, 2005 08:33 pm, Justin Clift wrote:
>>> Software Research Associates (SRA), founded in 1967, is one of the oldest
>>> software houses in Japan, http://www.sra.co.jp. With branches throughout
>>> the world and founder of the GNU Software Service (the Wingnut project
>>> http://www.sra.co.jp/wingnut/), it has become one of the largest backers
>>> of the Open Source movement in Asia today.
>>
>> Hmmm... not sure here.  In Australia, the term "Wingnut" has a meaning
>> associated with someone who is crazy (not in any kind of good way) and
>> not someone to be associated with.
>
> It used to be true in Canada back in the 60's but the term fell out of disuse.

Damn, I was only *just* born in the 60's (tail end of it), and we still
use it all the time to denote something missing half a load :(

> The fact of the matter is that this is the name of the project. It was
> coined after one of the SRA seniour execs had a meeting with Stallman
> back in the 80's. If it's lasted this long and not been commented upon
> then why change it now?

Agreed, but it will have 'crazy connotations' for alot of ppl :)

----

Re: for your approval, changes to the existing SRA

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: for your approval, changes to the existing SRA

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
All right already, you guys win. Please edit my suggested post "without" the
term wingnut.

Robert you have cvs rights?

--
Robert Bernier
PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst
SRA AMERICA (Formerly of One WTC)
PostgreSQL Services:Consulting,Migration,Support and Training
One Penn Plaza, Suite 1910
New York, NY 10119

Tel:  212.244.8833 ext:22

www.sraapowergres.com  robertbh@sraapowergres.com