Обсуждение: Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the postgresql.org site

Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the postgresql.org site

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Robert,

> Please pass this email on to whomever else you feel should be
> aware of this.

Probably best to keep discussion on the pgsql-www list.

> You will find attached a zipped archive containing three
> files: default.php, README.txt and sampleEmails.txt
>
> The code is less than 50 lines and is amazingly simple. It
> takes advantage of a running IMAP server in that you submit a
> news article to the email account and it automatically gets
> added, properly formatted, into the news feed.
>
> I've set up "default.php" to read the IMAP server directly
> and feed it straight to the webserver. However, you could
> always read it through a browser first and save the source
> code as an XML file. This XML file is then read directly by
> the webserver instead of the PHP page i.e. faster performance.

We would run the code in this way on wwwmaster.postgresql.org. It would
automatically be saved to a static file periodically, for mirroring to
the static front end servers.

Using an imap source shouldn't be a major problem, but how would you
expire messages? Perhaps some code should be added to delete everything
over 1 month old?

> I have this currently running at
> http://sraapowergres.com/en/newsfeed/ so you can see what it
> looks like. May I suggest that you try it with both a news
> reader and download the source through your browser. I used
> KDE's aKregator to do my testing on it.

Hmm, Firefox doesn't like that very much, perhaps because it's being
served as text/html not application/rss+xml:
http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsraapowergres.com%2F
en%2Fnewsfeed%2F

Regards, Dave.

Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Dave Page wrote:

> We would run the code in this way on wwwmaster.postgresql.org. It would
> automatically be saved to a static file periodically, for mirroring to
> the static front end servers.
>
> Using an imap source shouldn't be a major problem, but how would you
> expire messages? Perhaps some code should be added to delete everything
> over 1 month old?

wwwmaster uses cyrus-imapd for its imap spool ... whih includes a
'cyr_expire' command that could be run from cron to periodically dump any
messages in a mailbox > n days ...

----

Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
On March 7, 2005 06:11 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Dave Page wrote:
> > We would run the code in this way on wwwmaster.postgresql.org. It would
> > automatically be saved to a static file periodically, for mirroring to
> > the static front end servers.

Yes, running the php as a command line script and piping its standard output
to a file should do the trick.

> > Using an imap source shouldn't be a major problem, but how would you
> > expire messages? Perhaps some code should be added to delete everything
> > over 1 month old?
>
> wwwmaster uses cyrus-imapd for its imap spool ... whih includes a
> 'cyr_expire' command that could be run from cron to periodically dump any
> messages in a mailbox > n days ...

Excellent idea.

We could add tags of our own into the email news event that when read by the
script would also carry out extra instructions. For example, if there's an
older announcement that is still important it could still be placed near the
top of the list by using one the RSS ordering tags on the news items.

regards

Robert

Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
This is an interesting way to set up feeds. We could the same with our own mails lists if we wanted to:
http://www.newscientist.com/feeds.ns

cheers

Robert