Обсуждение: Change in policy on News?

Change in policy on News?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

When we last discussed "policy" for front-page news items, this was the
general terms:

1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably when they
introduce PostgreSQL support.

2) OSS Projects supporting PG get an announcement every major version,
but NOT for minor releases.

3) "Inside" projects (like PGAdmin & PostGIS) get an news item whenever
they have something new.

Lately, someone has been approving every single announcement from AM
software, giving them a front-page news item every 2-3 weeks, frequently
for patch releases.   What gives?

http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.444
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.433
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.453

--Josh

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Folks,
>
> When we last discussed "policy" for front-page news items,
> this was the general terms:
>
> 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably
> when they introduce PostgreSQL support.

I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per month,
top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)

The question then is - one per company, or one per product?

> 2) OSS Projects supporting PG get an announcement every major
> version, but NOT for minor releases.

Wasn't aware of that one either :-) I wonder if this whole policy
discussion was from before I started doing the -slaves stuff. Either
that or I have a bad memory.

> 3) "Inside" projects (like PGAdmin & PostGIS) get an news
> item whenever they have something new.

That, however, I knew :-)

> Lately, someone has been approving every single announcement
> from AM software, giving them a front-page news item every
> 2-3 weeks, frequently
> for patch releases.   What gives?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.444
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.433
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.453

See pt 1 above. Also, remember that there are different ppl approving
different items. (I'm sure I have probably approved at least one of
those, but I also know I've thrown away at least one, so it's not like
*every* one gets approved)

//mha

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> 3) "Inside" projects (like PGAdmin & PostGIS) get an news item whenever
> they have something new.
>
> Lately, someone has been approving every single announcement from AM
> software, giving them a front-page news item every 2-3 weeks, frequently
> for patch releases.   What gives?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.444
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.433
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.453

Can we get this put somewhere? A wiki? Something documented?

Joshua D. Drake

P.S. It wasn't I that approved it.

> --Josh

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

> > 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably
> > when they introduce PostgreSQL support.
>
> I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per month,
> top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)

Actually, I think you're right, only it was more like once per 6 months per
product.

> > 2) OSS Projects supporting PG get an announcement every major
> > version, but NOT for minor releases.
>
> Wasn't aware of that one either :-) I wonder if this whole policy
> discussion was from before I started doing the -slaves stuff. Either
> that or I have a bad memory.

It was on this list.   Will have to search the archives.

> See pt 1 above. Also, remember that there are different ppl approving
> different items. (I'm sure I have probably approved at least one of
> those, but I also know I've thrown away at least one, so it's not like
> *every* one gets approved)

Well, even if AMsoftware wasn't getting 1 item every 3 weeks, 2 of those
should have been turned down on "lack of content" grounds alone.  With
room for only 3 news items on the home page, I think we need to be really
restrictive about what gets on.   If people want to announce things more
frequently, there's the mailing list.  And we we need to be consistent, or
we're going to make enemies.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> When we last discussed "policy" for front-page news items,
>> this was the general terms:
>>
>> 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably
>> when they introduce PostgreSQL support.
>
> I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per month,
> top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)

Not to mention that it is fairly nazi. We should be supporting all
commercial vendors with products that support PostgreSQL.

Using this methodology the community may never speak on the website
again of:

Pervasive Postgres
EnterpriseDB
Mammoth Replicator

Cause they already have had their brief moment in the sun.

Or am I missing something?

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > > 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably
> when they
> > > introduce PostgreSQL support.
> >
> > I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per
> > month, top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember
> > which..)
>
> Actually, I think you're right, only it was more like once
> per 6 months per product.

Hmm. We should probalby write stuff like this down.

> > > 2) OSS Projects supporting PG get an announcement every major
> > > version, but NOT for minor releases.
> >
> > Wasn't aware of that one either :-) I wonder if this whole policy
> > discussion was from before I started doing the -slaves
> stuff. Either
> > that or I have a bad memory.
>
> It was on this list.   Will have to search the archives.

Either that, or we need to decide on a new policy starting now - and
preferrably write it down. In public, so the people who supply news know
about it. (We should probably do that either way, since now there is no
way to know)

> > See pt 1 above. Also, remember that there are different ppl
> approving
> > different items. (I'm sure I have probably approved at least one of
> > those, but I also know I've thrown away at least one, so
> it's not like
> > *every* one gets approved)
>
> Well, even if AMsoftware wasn't getting 1 item every 3 weeks,
> 2 of those should have been turned down on "lack of content"
> grounds alone.  With room for only 3 news items on the home
> page, I think we need to be really
> restrictive about what gets on.   If people want to announce
> things more
> frequently, there's the mailing list.  And we we need to be
> consistent, or we're going to make enemies.

I'm not sure I agree fully on this. There's a point in itself to having
a "good throughput" of the news - news changing often will bring people
to the site often to check it (be it through the standard page or RSS or
whatever). That said, we should have relevant news, of course (which is
why we reject a surprisingly large amount of news that has nothing at
all to do with PostgreSQL). But I think if we're very restrictive about
it, we throttle one of the reasons people come to the site often.

//Magnus

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Magnus,
>
>>> 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably
>>> when they introduce PostgreSQL support.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per month,
>> top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)
>
> Actually, I think you're right, only it was more like once per 6 months per
> product.

Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke ...
almost think we should add a 'Software Releases' section seperate from the
News Items ... keep News Items for stuff like 'article announcements' or
new service announcements, or such ... still need to have a policy on
software announces (ie. only major.minor, but no
major.minor.insignificant) ...

----

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke
> ... almost think we should add a 'Software Releases' section seperate
> from the News Items ... keep News Items for stuff like 'article
> announcements' or new service announcements, or such ... still need to
> have a policy on software announces (ie. only major.minor, but no
> major.minor.insignificant) ...

I'd love this, but it would require a site design change.  If you remember,
we'd talked about dividing the news tickers into 4 parts:  News, Product
Announcements, Events and Training.   However, that didn't work with the
design for the home page.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke
>> ... almost think we should add a 'Software Releases' section seperate
>> from the News Items ... keep News Items for stuff like 'article
>> announcements' or new service announcements, or such ... still need to
>> have a policy on software announces (ie. only major.minor, but no
>> major.minor.insignificant) ...
>
> I'd love this, but it would require a site design change.  If you remember,
> we'd talked about dividing the news tickers into 4 parts:  News, Product
> Announcements, Events and Training.   However, that didn't work with the
> design for the home page.

How much work would it be to fix up the right column on the main page?

Initial thoughts:

   Get rid of the individual dates ... change it to something like:

Latest News

Jan 2006
   Minor Versions ...
   Lattice SPGen vers ...
   PG Lightening ...
Dec 2005
   <anything in here>

Upcoming Events

Jan 2006
   PostgreSQL: Managing Roles ..
   Intense PostgreSQL Training ...
   PostgreSQL Training in Paris ...

   Also, truncate the 'headline' so that it fits all on one line ... click
on it to see the whole article, but don't span, in some cases, 3 lines ...

   And then just add the two new sections ...

----

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > I'd love this, but it would require a site design change.  If you
> > remember, we'd talked about dividing the news tickers into
> 4 parts:  News, Product
> > Announcements, Events and Training.   However, that didn't
> work with the
> > design for the home page.
>
> How much work would it be to fix up the right column on the main page?
>
> Initial thoughts:
>
>    Get rid of the individual dates ... change it to something like:

I think that's a really bad idea, for two reasons:
1) It's good to know the exact date, when you're a frequent browser
2) We more or less *have* to keep up the throughput. And the list isn't
"dynamic" enough - once the first entry goes in for february, it gets to
live alone..

WRT keeping a separate list of product news, the question is do we
really mind if the right side piece gets longer. Yes, it would mean that
events scroll off the main page for smaller screens (like my laptop
screen at 768 lines), but you'd probably still see the header and the
top event, so you'd know to scroll. We could also limit both number of
and length of "product announcements", so that piece would be smaller
than the current ones.

//Magnus

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
Dave Page

On 9/1/06 19:17, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Magnus,

>>> I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per month,
>>> top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)
>>
>> Actually, I think you're right, only it was more like once per 6 months per
>> product.
>
> Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke ...

It was 1 announcement every 6 weeks, per company. It was because a certain
company whose flagship PG-related product happens to compete with pgAdmin
had so many software releases that had they all been approved they would
have almost constantly been on the top 3 list, and sometimes would have
filled it themselves.

> almost think we should add a 'Software Releases' section seperate from the
> News Items ... keep News Items for stuff like 'article announcements' or
> new service announcements, or such ... still need to have a policy on
> software announces (ie. only major.minor, but no
> major.minor.insignificant) ...

That would take a non-trivial amount of work.

Regards, Dave

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> I'd love this, but it would require a site design change.  If you
>>> remember, we'd talked about dividing the news tickers into
>> 4 parts:  News, Product
>>> Announcements, Events and Training.   However, that didn't
>> work with the
>>> design for the home page.
>>
>> How much work would it be to fix up the right column on the main page?
>>
>> Initial thoughts:
>>
>>    Get rid of the individual dates ... change it to something like:
>
> I think that's a really bad idea, for two reasons:
> 1) It's good to know the exact date, when you're a frequent browser

If you are a frequent browser, you would know what's changed sicne the
last time you visited ... and if you are interested in a headline, you
would click on it to read the whole thing, and get teh exact date at the
same time ...

> 2) We more or less *have* to keep up the throughput. And the list isn't
> "dynamic" enough - once the first entry goes in for february, it gets to
> live alone..

I was more thinking '6 most recent headlines', and if they overlap months,
so be it, you have:

News
   Jan 2006
   Dec 2006

Or do you mean we *want* to get rid of Dec News when the first one for Jan
comes along?

----

Re: Change in policy on News?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> >> 4 parts:  News, Product
> >> work with the
> >>
> >> How much work would it be to fix up the right column on
> the main page?
> >>
> >> Initial thoughts:
> >>
> >>    Get rid of the individual dates ... change it to something like:
> >
> > I think that's a really bad idea, for two reasons:
> > 1) It's good to know the exact date, when you're a frequent browser
>
> If you are a frequent browser, you would know what's changed
> sicne the last time you visited ... and if you are interested
> in a headline, you would click on it to read the whole thing,
> and get teh exact date at the same time ...

Well, I know *I* get annoyed when I hit sites that listn ews without
dates on them ;-)

> > 2) We more or less *have* to keep up the throughput. And the list
> > isn't "dynamic" enough - once the first entry goes in for
> february, it
> > gets to live alone..
>
> I was more thinking '6 most recent headlines', and if they
> overlap months, so be it, you have:
>
> News
>    Jan 2006
>    Dec 2006
>
> Or do you mean we *want* to get rid of Dec News when the
> first one for Jan comes along?

Absolutely not. I thought you meant "show two months" or so. If we still
show <n> headlines, I can live with it. Though I still prefer the full
dates.

//Magnus