Обсуждение: duplicate postings in planetpostgresql

duplicate postings in planetpostgresql

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
I think we have another case like David Wheelers where old blog posts
are picking up in the feed as new entrys for the current date. This one
is on Frank Wiles blog. I think last time it was an issue with the feed,
not sure if thats the case here, can you look into it?  If you need help
ping me on irc :-)

Robert Treat

Re: duplicate postings in planetpostgresql

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:57 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> I think we have another case like David Wheelers where old blog posts
> are picking up in the feed as new entrys for the current date. This one
> is on Frank Wiles blog. I think last time it was an issue with the feed,
> not sure if thats the case here, can you look into it?  If you need help
> ping me on irc :-)

Actually there is no problem with that. I'm not a Python guy (yet) but I
think it is a "feature" of Planet code + the RSS feed itselt.I've posted
a test entry (will delete it now) and it appeared at the top. As we add
new people, they will appear at the top.

Regards,

Re: duplicate postings in planetpostgresql

От
Frank Wiles
Дата:
On 13 Jan 2006 10:57:38 -0500
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I think we have another case like David Wheelers where old blog posts
> are picking up in the feed as new entrys for the current date. This
> one is on Frank Wiles blog. I think last time it was an issue with
> the feed, not sure if thats the case here, can you look into it?  If
> you need help ping me on irc :-)

  Hi Robert,

  I noticed this too and E-mailed Devrim about it just a few minutes
  ago.  As far as I know my feed is ok and has the proper dates in it,
  as things show up just fine in RSS readers.   The URL to the feed
  is:

  http://www.revsys.com/rss/blog/postgresql/index.xml

  This static file is generated hourly which I believe is the date/time
  planetpostgresql.org has listed as the date/time for all of my posts.

  I'm using Perl's XML::RSS module to generate the RSS and it doesn't
  appear to have a method of inserting a pub date/time per post.  Not
  being an RSS expert I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

  If someone can point out what is wrong with my feed, if my feed is at
  fault, I'll get it corrected right away.

  Thanks!

  ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <frank@revsys.com>
   Revolution Systems, LLC.
  ---------------------------------

Re: duplicate postings in planetpostgresql

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 11:13, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:57 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > I think we have another case like David Wheelers where old blog posts
> > are picking up in the feed as new entrys for the current date. This one
> > is on Frank Wiles blog. I think last time it was an issue with the feed,
> > not sure if thats the case here, can you look into it?  If you need help
> > ping me on irc :-)
>
> Actually there is no problem with that. I'm not a Python guy (yet) but I
> think it is a "feature" of Planet code + the RSS feed itselt.I've posted
> a test entry (will delete it now) and it appeared at the top. As we add
> new people, they will appear at the top.

What I was more wondering about was that his initial post on
planetplanet is actually three posts from his actual weblog, and none of
them from today. When I looked at the planetplanet code I didn't see
where it contained the knowledge to deduce that entries were showing up
in planetplanet for the first time vs. subsequent articles, which makes
me suspect that this is a bug of sorts. Well, this coupled with knowing
that other feeds (mine-s9y, niel-advogato) do seem to have publishing
dates in them. Course I am not a python guy (yet) either so I could be
reading the code wrong.

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 11:12, Frank Wiles wrote:
>   I noticed this too and E-mailed Devrim about it just a few minutes
>   ago.  As far as I know my feed is ok and has the proper dates in it,
>   as things show up just fine in RSS readers.   The URL to the feed
>   is:
>
>   http://www.revsys.com/rss/blog/postgresql/index.xml
>
>   This static file is generated hourly which I believe is the
date/time
>   planetpostgresql.org has listed as the date/time for all of my
posts.

>   I'm using Perl's XML::RSS module to generate the RSS and it doesn't
>   appear to have a method of inserting a pub date/time per post.  Not
>   being an RSS expert I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
>
>   If someone can point out what is wrong with my feed, if my feed is
at
>   fault, I'll get it corrected right away.

I don't know that your feed is busted (fwiw it does validate on its own
merits), but when you generate your rss feed, are you specifying a date
for the article?  Have a look at
http://search.cpan.org/~kellan/XML-RSS-1.05/lib/RSS.pm and the RSS 2.0
example, which contains both a pubDate and a lastBuildDate in it.

Robert Treat