Обсуждение: DNS: mirrors?

DNS: mirrors?

От
"Larry Rosenman"
Дата:
Is this a problem?  Do I need to change my master?

Jan 20 15:18:30 lerami named[1409]: zone mirrors.postgresql.org/IN: refused
notify from non-master: 200.46.204.2#2867

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893

Re: DNS: mirrors?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Is this a problem?  Do I need to change my master?

No. The master is the blind primary on the 62.65 network, hasn't
changed. And I see you transferring from there.

> Jan 20 15:18:30 lerami named[1409]: zone
> mirrors.postgresql.org/IN: refused notify from non-master:
> 200.46.204.2#2867

That, however, is wrong. I don't know why neptune is sending out
notifies - it's not the master. It's not even a slave for that zone!

Also, I ran my test script. Seems there are problems with several of the
listed nameservers!

We have the following servers:
 ns.hub.org          | 200.46.204.2
 ns2.hub.org         | 66.98.250.36
 ns3.hub.org         | 200.46.204.4
 ns-a.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.11
 ns-b.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.45
 ns1.pgadmin.org     | 194.217.48.34
 ns2.pgadmin.org     | 81.187.210.23

Of these we have:
ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all. Changed or
should be removed?

ns.hub.org - now has a different IP? But something is answering on the
listed one? And it's the old one that sends notifies? Which one is
right?

ns3.hub.org - now has a different IP? Nothing answering on specified IP.

This means that more than half the DNS servers have changed since this
system was set up (and that was just a year ago! DNS servers are
supposed to be stable :P), and not one of the changes were reported
here... (Or if they were, nobody made sure the system was updated. But
I'm fairly certain I haven't heard anything about it)

Anyway. If I can get confirmation on how the above is supposed to be,
I'll fix it up ASAP.

//Magnus

Re: DNS: mirrors?

От
Dave Page

On 20/1/06 21:48, "Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> wrote:

>> Is this a problem?  Do I need to change my master?
>
> No. The master is the blind primary on the 62.65 network, hasn't
> changed. And I see you transferring from there.
>

>> Jan 20 15:18:30 lerami named[1409]: zone
>> mirrors.postgresql.org/IN: refused notify from non-master:
>> 200.46.204.2#2867
>
> That, however, is wrong. I don't know why neptune is sending out
> notifies - it's not the master. It's not even a slave for that zone!
>
> Also, I ran my test script. Seems there are problems with several of the
> listed nameservers!
>
> We have the following servers:
>  ns.hub.org          | 200.46.204.2
>  ns2.hub.org         | 66.98.250.36
>  ns3.hub.org         | 200.46.204.4
>  ns-a.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.11
>  ns-b.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.45
>  ns1.pgadmin.org     | 194.217.48.34
>  ns2.pgadmin.org     | 81.187.210.23
>

> Of these we have:
> ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all. Changed or
> should be removed?

Oops, changed today as it happens - sorry.

ns1.vale-housing.co.uk
ns2.vale-housing.co.uk
> ns.hub.org - now has a different IP? But something is answering on the
> listed one? And it's the old one that sends notifies? Which one is
> right?
>
> ns3.hub.org - now has a different IP? Nothing answering on specified IP.
>
> This means that more than half the DNS servers have changed since this
> system was set up (and that was just a year ago! DNS servers are
> supposed to be stable :P), and not one of the changes were reported
> here... (Or if they were, nobody made sure the system was updated. But
> I'm fairly certain I haven't heard anything about it)

Marc was re-arranging his DNS servers recently...

/D

Re: DNS: mirrors?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Of these we have:
> > ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all.
> Changed or
> > should be removed?
>
> Oops, changed today as it happens - sorry.
>
> ns1.vale-housing.co.uk
> ns2.vale-housing.co.uk

Updated. Now verify fine.

Just Marc to go ;-)

//Magnus

Re: DNS: mirrors?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Jan 20 15:18:30 lerami named[1409]: zone
>> mirrors.postgresql.org/IN: refused notify from non-master:
>> 200.46.204.2#2867
>
> That, however, is wrong. I don't know why neptune is sending out
> notifies - it's not the master. It's not even a slave for that zone!
>
> Also, I ran my test script. Seems there are problems with several of the
> listed nameservers!
>
> We have the following servers:
> ns.hub.org          | 200.46.204.2
> ns2.hub.org         | 66.98.250.36
> ns3.hub.org         | 200.46.204.4
> ns-a.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.11
> ns-b.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.45
> ns1.pgadmin.org     | 194.217.48.34
> ns2.pgadmin.org     | 81.187.210.23
>

> Of these we have:
> ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all. Changed or
> should be removed?

'k, where are ns{1,2}.pgadmin.org being used?

> ns.hub.org - now has a different IP? But something is answering on the
> listed one? And it's the old one that sends notifies? Which one is
> right?
>
> ns3.hub.org - now has a different IP? Nothing answering on specified IP.
>
> This means that more than half the DNS servers have changed since this
> system was set up (and that was just a year ago! DNS servers are
> supposed to be stable :P), and not one of the changes were reported
> here... (Or if they were, nobody made sure the system was updated. But
> I'm fairly certain I haven't heard anything about it)
>
> Anyway. If I can get confirmation on how the above is supposed to be,
> I'll fix it up ASAP.

'k, I just did a major overhaul of our DNS this month ... 200.46.204.2 was
getting overloaded, and there was no easy way to move things around, so I
put the DNS servers on a floating IP (the IP doesn't change, it can just
float between servers) instead of tying it to a specific server ...

So, the IPs should all be:

   ?column?   |      data
-------------+----------------
  ns4.hub.org | 200.46.208.251
  ns.hub.org  | 200.46.204.13
  ns2.hub.org | 66.98.250.36
  ns3.hub.org | 200.46.204.254
(4 rows)

Everything is in a bind-dlz database right now (except postgresql.org
itself, since I haven't quite figured out a clean way of doing that yet,
since its generated based on other data sources) ...

Primaary is 200.46.204.13, as the others are all slony slaves from it ...

----

Re: DNS: mirrors?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Of these we have:
> > ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all.
> Changed or
> > should be removed?
>
> 'k, where are ns{1,2}.pgadmin.org being used?

This whole thing is about the mirrors.postgresql.org zone.

> > Anyway. If I can get confirmation on how the above is
> supposed to be,
> > I'll fix it up ASAP.
>
> 'k, I just did a major overhaul of our DNS this month ...
> 200.46.204.2 was getting overloaded, and there was no easy
> way to move things around, so I put the DNS servers on a
> floating IP (the IP doesn't change, it can just float between
> servers) instead of tying it to a specific server ...
>
> So, the IPs should all be:
>
>    ?column?   |      data
> -------------+----------------
>   ns4.hub.org | 200.46.208.251
>   ns.hub.org  | 200.46.204.13
>   ns2.hub.org | 66.98.250.36
>   ns3.hub.org | 200.46.204.254
> (4 rows)

Ok. Will update.

> Everything is in a bind-dlz database right now (except
> postgresql.org itself, since I haven't quite figured out a
> clean way of doing that yet, since its generated based on
> other data sources) ...
>
> Primaary is 200.46.204.13, as the others are all slony slaves
> from it ...

Uh, I hope it's not set up like that for mirrors.postgresql.org? If so,
it's very much broken. It needs to be set up with them all as slaves off
the blind primary, the way it used to be.

Can you check and confirm for that specific zone?

//Magnus

Re: DNS: mirrors?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Of these we have:
>>> ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all.
>> Changed or
>>> should be removed?
>>
>> 'k, where are ns{1,2}.pgadmin.org being used?
>
> This whole thing is about the mirrors.postgresql.org zone.
>

>>> Anyway. If I can get confirmation on how the above is
>> supposed to be,
>>> I'll fix it up ASAP.
>>
>> 'k, I just did a major overhaul of our DNS this month ...
>> 200.46.204.2 was getting overloaded, and there was no easy
>> way to move things around, so I put the DNS servers on a
>> floating IP (the IP doesn't change, it can just float between
>> servers) instead of tying it to a specific server ...
>>
>> So, the IPs should all be:
>>
>>    ?column?   |      data
>> -------------+----------------
>>   ns4.hub.org | 200.46.208.251
>>   ns.hub.org  | 200.46.204.13
>>   ns2.hub.org | 66.98.250.36
>>   ns3.hub.org | 200.46.204.254
>> (4 rows)
>
> Ok. Will update.
>

>> Everything is in a bind-dlz database right now (except
>> postgresql.org itself, since I haven't quite figured out a
>> clean way of doing that yet, since its generated based on
>> other data sources) ...
>>
>> Primaary is 200.46.204.13, as the others are all slony slaves
>> from it ...
>
> Uh, I hope it's not set up like that for mirrors.postgresql.org? If so,
> it's very much broken. It needs to be set up with them all as slaves off
> the blind primary, the way it used to be.
>
> Can you check and confirm for that specific zone?

'k, I can't see anything about ns1.pgadmin.org in teh zone file:

www             IN      CNAME   static.mirrors.postgresql.org.
mirrors IN      NS      ns.hub.org.
mirrors IN      NS      ns2.hub.org.
mirrors IN      NS      ns3.hub.org.
mirrors IN      NS      ns-1.sollentuna.net.
mirrors IN      NS      ns-a.lerctr.org.
mirrors IN      NS      ns-b.lerctr.org.

I'm obviously missing something here ...

----

Re: DNS: mirrors?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> 'k, I can't see anything about ns1.pgadmin.org in teh zone file:
>
> www             IN      CNAME   static.mirrors.postgresql.org.
> mirrors IN      NS      ns.hub.org.
> mirrors IN      NS      ns2.hub.org.
> mirrors IN      NS      ns3.hub.org.
> mirrors IN      NS      ns-1.sollentuna.net.
> mirrors IN      NS      ns-a.lerctr.org.
> mirrors IN      NS      ns-b.lerctr.org.
>
> I'm obviously missing something here ...

Yup. That's not the actual zone, that's the glue records. You get the
zone by doing a NS query to the blind primary. They should always be in
sync, so don't change the glue records without having the zone updated.

The zone right now has (after I updated the NS records for the hub.org
ones that were incorrect):
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mirrors.postgresql.org.                IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns2.hub.org.
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns2.vale-housing.co.uk.
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns3.hub.org.
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns-1.sollentuna.net.
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns-a.lerctr.org.
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns-b.lerctr.org.
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns.hub.org.
mirrors.postgresql.org. 900     IN      NS      ns1.vale-housing.co.uk.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns.hub.org.             458120  IN      A       200.46.204.13
ns1.vale-housing.co.uk. 5356    IN      A       194.217.48.34
ns2.hub.org.            7756    IN      A       66.98.250.36
ns2.vale-housing.co.uk. 5356    IN      A       81.187.210.23
ns3.hub.org.            7756    IN      A       200.46.204.4
ns-1.sollentuna.net.    172756  IN      A       62.65.68.8
ns-a.lerctr.org.        86356   IN      A       192.147.25.11
ns-b.lerctr.org.        86356   IN      A       192.147.25.45

Please make sure your glue records match those.

//Magnus