Обсуждение: Dumping the banner ads

Dumping the banner ads

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

SInce someone on Advocacy pointed out that Marc switched the banner ads to a
mysql-based platform while we weren't looking, I think it's time to raise the
issue of dumping the banner ads.  I've long regarded them as
unprofessional-looking and inappropriate for a community, NPO-supported
project.

I was planning to wait until we had our Donor Policy and Donor Listings in
place, but the little "expose" on -advocacy kind of forces the issue.

Marc, could you please acquaint us with the outstanding obligations with the
banner ads?  Whom have we promised what?  Who will we owe refunds to?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Dave Page"

I cannot speak for the paid ones, but we have always offered our mirror
providers a free ad - there certainly should be a few of those still in
the system. We might find we cheese off a few of them by removing the

/D

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 10 May 2006, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Right now, we have active:

CommandPrompt    - Mirror/Free
EnterpriseDB     - Expires June 18th
ExtendDB         - Expires May 15th
Navicat          - Expires July 4th
Pervasive        - Mirror/Free
PgAdmin          - OSS Project/Free
Sam's Publishing - Exchange program for 'Show Books'

Navicat runs until July 4th, everyone else expires earlier then that ...
so we can scheduale dumping them on the 4th of July ...

Personally, the use of MySQL vs PostgreSQL for banner ads is 'using the
right tool for the job' ... Banner ads aren't "data integrity heavy", who
cares if you lose a click or impression here or there in the stats?

Just to put things into perspective ... the banners used to run on a 10
line, homegrown script that did nothing more then keep track of # of
impressions ... pg_autovacuum ran almost continuously on the one table
that did "UPDATE counter SET cnt = cnt + 1 WHERE banner_id = #" ... and
the counter table was purely "banner_id, cnt" ... switching over to
phpAdsNew allows ppl login to an interface and see extended statistics
like countries ppl are clicking in from, etc ... and performing better
then the '10 line script' did ...

As for Josh's comment about "switching to a mysql platform while we
weren't looking" ... nobody ever asked what the backend was ... everyone
was complaining that the banners weren't loading fast enough, so I fixed
that situation *while* extending the functionality of the system so that
more detailed statistics were being maintained ... and I wasn't going to
lie about what we were using ...

Matteo asked what we were using on -advocacy, and, IMHO, it would have
been suspicious if, after you pointedly asked me to confirm, the query
went un-answered ...

PostgreSQL is a steady workhorse, but there are at least 2 things that
I've found it doesn't do well: banner ads and bayesian database :(

----

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> >> Marc, could you please acquaint us with the outstanding
> obligations
> >> with the banner ads?  Whom have we promised what?
> >>  Who will we owe refunds to?
> >
> > I cannot speak for the paid ones, but we have always offered our
> > mirror providers a free ad - there certainly should be a
> few of those
> > still in the system. We might find we cheese off a few of them by
> > removing the ads.
>
> Right now, we have active:
>
> CommandPrompt    - Mirror/Free
> EnterpriseDB     - Expires June 18th
> ExtendDB         - Expires May 15th
> Navicat          - Expires July 4th
> Pervasive        - Mirror/Free
> PgAdmin          - OSS Project/Free
> Sam's Publishing - Exchange program for 'Show Books'
>
> Navicat runs until July 4th, everyone else expires earlier
> then that ...
> so we can scheduale dumping them on the 4th of July ...

Seems reasonable to me. I doubt the mirror sites in question, being
those that they are, would pull their mirrors because of this.

//Magnus

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Dave Page"

Didn't realise there were so few now.

/D

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

ALthough it is important that we keep our obligations, it does seem odd
that the mirror would ask the requirement. Most mirrors will mirror FOSS
projects for free...

Hmmm... that is usually FTP sites though. Are we talking about WWW?

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Right now, we have active:
>
> CommandPrompt    - Mirror/Free

Well I have mentioned in the past we don't require this. Of course if we
keep them I want one :) but otherwise you have no problem from us.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Dave Page"

We have always offered them to both, but clearly many are no longer
there anyway.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc, Dave, etc.

BTW, my plan is to have a set of static credits for mirror sponsors somewhere,
probably on the "Sponsors" page.  I can't imagine that any of the mirror
sponsors would be unhappy with that.

> > Sam's Publishing - Exchange program for 'Show Books'

Ah, right.  Speaking of which, we never *received* these books.  Who's the
contact for Sams?

Oh, and July 4th is fine with me.  That gives us some time to argue about how
to list sponsors.  ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 10 May 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Ah, right.  Speaking of which, we never *received* these books.  Who's
> the contact for Sams?

What I have is:

kit.kemper@pearsoned.com

Would you like me to disable them temporarily, while you deal with the
issue?

----

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> Would you like me to disable them temporarily, while you deal with the
> issue?

No, I don't think so.   I'll bet we just missed a connection somewhere.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc, Dave, etc.
>
> BTW, my plan is to have a set of static credits for mirror sponsors somewhere,
> probably on the "Sponsors" page.  I can't imagine that any of the mirror
> sponsors would be unhappy with that.
>
>>> Sam's Publishing - Exchange program for 'Show Books'
>
> Ah, right.  Speaking of which, we never *received* these books.  Who's the
> contact for Sams?
>
> Oh, and July 4th is fine with me.  That gives us some time to argue about how
> to list sponsors.  ;-)

Well mirror sponsors, can just get a textual link (that is how we do
archives,www and searcH)....

And then just have another link under a contribution page of some sort.

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 10 May 2006 08:24, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Sam's Publishing - Exchange program for 'Show Books'

Could osmeone share the details of this program with me? I might be able to
work out a similar arrangement with Apress depending on the details.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Dumping the banner ads

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> Could osmeone share the details of this program with me? I might be able to
> work out a similar arrangement with Apress depending on the details.

Actually, you can't, since we're eliminating the banner ads.

But what happened is that Pearson offered to ship us a box and a half of
Korry's book in exchange for a banner ad.  They did this in 2002 as
well, and we gave away those books at LWE-SF and at JPUG.

I'll get in touch with Kit and ship the books so that we can have them
for upcomming conferences.

--Josh