Обсуждение: Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
After almost 3 weeks without a proper internet connection, this morning I
got high speed cable installed in our new residence, and this evening, I
finally got the backup server back online ...

Apologies to those using gborg for how long it has taken to get things
back online ... the temporary internet connection we were able to get the
server onto was reporting ~3 days of constant upload to get gborg uploaded
... the new net connection took 5 hours ...

I will be working tomorrow on getting gborg back up and running ... this
will be put onto the 64bit server, so that it can be easily moved to the
new HP server that arrived while I was offline ...

There *was* a lose of data with this crash, unfortunately, so I hope those
on the slony project have backups of any commits made over the ~2 week
period *before* the server crashed ... once it goes onto the 64bit server,
the redundant local backup will be re-enabled, but since we were at the
end of moving off of 4.x, the redundant server option wasn't working, and
with the backup server down while we moved, offsite backups were
temporarily offline when neptune crashed :(

Will post once gborg is back online ...

----

Re: [CORE] Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jan Wieck wrote:

> The last commits shouldn't be much of a problem. But we will have to
> talk about the strategy for access backup to the infrastructure. This
> was a prime example of the classic "hit by a bus" scenario (except for
> the missing bus). No doubt I'm happy there was no bus, but what if?

I think we are covered for most everything *except* gborg at this time ;(
And we all know gborg needs to be merged into pgfoundry :)

JoshB, do you know if pgfoundry is being duplicated over to that new
server in any way, just in case something does happen?

----

Re: [CORE] Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Jan,

> I also learned that some of the software used on PgFoundry isn't open
> source any more (?). What do we do about that?

That's a matter for the gforge-admins.  Can you be more specific?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: [CORE] Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> I think we are covered for most everything *except* gborg at this time ;(
> And we all know gborg needs to be merged into pgfoundry :)

I'm still getting intermittent DNS failures for mail.postgresql.org.

> JoshB, do you know if pgfoundry is being duplicated over to that new
> server in any way, just in case something does happen?

Not on an active basis -- remember, there's the whole 32/64 bit thing.  Let's
re-rsync the files, and then set up some kind of daily DB copy.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: [CORE] Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jan Wieck wrote:

> I also learned that some of the software used on PgFoundry isn't open
> source any more (?). What do we do about that?

I haven't heard this ... do you know which software?

----

Re: [CORE] Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
http://gforge.org/

http://gforge.org/frs/download.php/219/gforge-4.5.11.tar.bz2 being
the latest release, still has COPYING which says it's a GNU licensed
package.

Gavin

On Sep 6, 2006, at 6:43 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
>> I also learned that some of the software used on PgFoundry isn't
>> open source any more (?). What do we do about that?
>
> I haven't heard this ... do you know which software?
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://
> www.hub.org)
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN .
> scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: [CORE] Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> I think we are covered for most everything *except* gborg at this time ;(
>> And we all know gborg needs to be merged into pgfoundry :)
>
> I'm still getting intermittent DNS failures for mail.postgresql.org.

'k, will investigate this one further ... one of the name servers
(ns3.hub.org) doesn't seem to be running for some reason, but the other 2
are all reporting fine, as are the two lerctr.org name servers :(

>> JoshB, do you know if pgfoundry is being duplicated over to that new
>> server in any way, just in case something does happen?
>
> Not on an active basis -- remember, there's the whole 32/64 bit thing.  Let's
> re-rsync the files, and then set up some kind of daily DB copy.

pgfoundry.org has been 64bit since it was upgraded to FreeBSD 6.x way back
when ... I thought you knew that? :(  We should setup *at least* a daily
rsync of the whole vServer so that there is an easy to access backup ...
DB needs to be moved into the vServer yet too, which will improve its
performance ... I will most likely look into that next week, once I get a
desk to work at again ...

----

Re: [CORE] Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
All,

> http://gforge.org/
>
> http://gforge.org/frs/download.php/219/gforge-4.5.11.tar.bz2 being
>  the latest release, still has COPYING which says it's a GNU licensed
>  package.

Oh, I didn't realize this was public yet.   Tim Perdue had let me know
confidentially what he was planning to do with the next version of GF,
now being called GF Advanced.   The basic issue is that he wants to
make some money (imagine that) and isn't very good at managing
corporate sponsorships.  Hence, the fork for license revenue.

The version we use is unaffected.  For that matter, Tim would happily
give us a free perpetual license for GF advanced if we wanted it.  It's
a complete refactor of the code base.  GF-GPL, with security patches,
will continue to exist but don't expect it to advance much.

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco 415-752-2500