Обсуждение: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

[ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
So... since we all *love* the current archive engine (and it's search)
so much...

What about switching over to this? It appears it should work fine with
majordomo, and I'd bet we could get someone from Archiveopteryx to help
with this.

----- Forwarded message from Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@oryx.com> -----

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:12:19 +0530
From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@oryx.com>
To: pgsql-announce@postgresql.org
Cc: info@oryx.com
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released

We are happy to announce the release of Archiveopteryx 1.10.

    http://www.archiveopteryx.org/1.10.html

Archiveopteryx (formerly Oryx Mailstore) is a mail archive server that
stores normalized mail in a PostgreSQL database, and serves it using
IMAP/POP. It has now been used in production for several months, and
is available both on commercial terms and as open source.

This release comes sooner than planned, because we feel the deployment
of privilege separation is important enough to justify it.

Changes since 1.09:

- Privilege separation: the server can't destroy the database.
- "aox vacuum" permanently removes deleted mail after 7 days.
- Installer creates user/group aox/aox by default.
- RFC 2180 compliance for mailboxes accessed by multiple clients.
- A few IMAP and message parsing bug fixes.
- Added UTF-16/UTF-16BE/UTF16-LE codecs.

Please let us know if you find any problems.

The next release is expected on 2006-09-24.

Please join the mailstore-announce list if you want to be notified of
future releases; and mailstore-users to discuss Archiveopteryx.

    http://www.archiveopteryx.org/lists.html

Bug reports, questions, and suggestions to info@oryx.com.

--
Abhijit Menon-Sen
Oryx Mail Systems GmbH

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Dave Page"

> What about switching over to this? It appears it should work fine with
> majordomo, and I'd bet we could get someone from Archiveopteryx to help
> with this.

To do what exactly? It says it's pop/imap server!?

Regards, Dave

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> So... since we all *love* the current archive engine (and it's search)
> so much...
>
> What about switching over to this? It appears it should work fine with
> majordomo, and I'd bet we could get someone from Archiveopteryx to help
> with this.

It also has a Tsearch2 interface :)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 11:03:03PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

The name *Archive*opteryx would be a little hint. ;)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Harald Armin Massa"
Дата:
What about switching over to this? It appears it should work fine with
majordomo, and I'd bet we could get someone from Archiveopteryx to help
with this.

Archiveopteryx  is a cool name: check.
It uses the right database: check.

doublecheck, so without knowing the product and without having the slightest idea about reasons for actual problems, switch recommended :)

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Dave Page"

I have a optical drive designed for archiving - it doesn't mean that it
has an interface that users can search and view data through.

/D

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Dave Page"

Meaning what exactly? I'm sure any one of us is capable of writing a
small script that could catch the mail messages from each list, and
store them in a tsearch enabled database. The difficult bit is adding a
good *web* interface to it with all the appropriate thread links and
index pages, and without breaking all those pesky legacy URLs. There are
also tens of thousands of documents in the search index that aren't
emails that would also need to be handled.

If you want to move to a new tsearch search engine (which I'm not
against btw) then using our existing crawler script as a basis for a
generic indexer would bypass all those problems, leaving just a web
interface to tsearch to build.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Stupid question here, but haven't Oleg and crew not already done this?

----

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Dave Page"

Yes, I believe so.

/D

Re: [ams@oryx.com: [ANNOUNCE] Archiveopteryx 1.10 released]

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>> If you want to move to a new tsearch search engine (which I'm not
>> against btw) then using our existing crawler script as a basis for a
>> generic indexer would bypass all those problems, leaving just a web
>> interface to tsearch to build.
>
> Stupid question here, but haven't Oleg and crew not already done this?

Yes and they have also offered to do it for us, once 8.2 is out. They
want GIN on the new interface.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/