Обсуждение: Not receiving ml posts

Not receiving ml posts

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
Hi, all

The number of posts I've been receiving from the pgsql mailing lists
I'm on has significantly dropped off. I do receive some, but only a
handful a day. I can tell from the archives that it's not the case
that the lists have become more quiet: I'm just not getting all of
them. I don't see any pattern as to which I'm receiving. I've checked
with my host and they haven't been able to see any problems on their
end. Could someone take a look on the pgsql end and see if messages
are bouncing, and if so, with what errors? I'm subscribed to at least
-hackers, -general, -committers, and I believe -patches with this
account. (I've actually tried to resubscribe to -www, but haven't yet
received the confirmation email after 24 hours.)

Thanks! If there's anything I can do to help this along, please let
me know, cc'ing me if you're sending to the list.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Not receiving ml posts

Дата:
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
> The number of posts I've been receiving from the pgsql mailing lists
> I'm on has significantly dropped off.

In the same line --- Elein told me yesterday that she's been bounced
from all the PG mailing lists.  What's going on there?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Nov 16, 2006, at 0:04 , Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> The number of posts I've been receiving from the pgsql mailing
> lists I'm on has significantly dropped off. I do receive some, but
> only a handful a day. I can tell from the archives that it's not
> the case that the lists have become more quiet: I'm just not
> getting all of them.

Marc,

Thanks for looking into this. I can see from the ml archives that you
responded and cc'd me, but I didn't even get that mail. :( Did you
get a bounce? What seems to be the problem? Is there anything more
that I can check on my end or with my host? I've been checking my
spam folder, and my pgsql mail is not ending up there.

Thanks!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

- --On Thursday, November 16, 2006 01:41:18 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
>> The number of posts I've been receiving from the pgsql mailing lists
>> I'm on has significantly dropped off.
>
> In the same line --- Elein told me yesterday that she's been bounced
> from all the PG mailing lists.  What's going on there?

Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=varlena.com type=MX:
Host not found, try again

DNS issue somewhere, but it looks like its only affecting her that I can tell:

mx2# nslookup sss.pgh.pa.us
Server:         200.46.204.13
Address:        200.46.204.13#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   sss.pgh.pa.us
Address: 66.207.139.130

mx2# nslookup eastlink.ca
Server:         200.46.204.13
Address:        200.46.204.13#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   eastlink.ca
Address: 24.222.14.2

mx2# nslookup varlena.com

And its not a .com issue:

# nslookup microsoft.com
Server:         200.46.204.13
Address:        200.46.204.13#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   microsoft.com
Address: 207.46.130.108
Name:   microsoft.com
Address: 207.46.250.119

I just restarted the name server(s), and same result ... I've even disabled the
change I made the other day to 'disable recursive', restarted, same result ...
so it isn't related to any change I've made recently :(

Anyone out there with more knowledge of DNS then I have any ideas?

- ----

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> I just restarted the name server(s), and same result ... I've
> even disabled the change I made the other day to 'disable
> recursive', restarted, same result ...
> so it isn't related to any change I've made recently :(
>
> Anyone out there with more knowledge of DNS then I have any ideas?

whois says the domain expired very recently, and was updated Nov 17th.
My guess would be something expired before it was renewed and was
dropped from the zones for a while. Now you're probably just waiting for
the cache to clear...

//Magnus

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

> - --On Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:26:04 +0100 Magnus Hagander
> <mha@sollentuna.net> wrote:

> Where did you find that out?  According to whois here:
>
>    Domain Name: VARLENA.COM
>       Created on: 14-Nov-2002
>       Expires on: 12-Nov-2014
>       Last Updated on: 17-Nov-2005
>
> It was last updated Nov 17th *2005* ... a year ago ... neat thing is,
> shouldn't  I be able to resolve from her name servers:
>
> postgresql# nslookup varlena.com JASMINE.NORCOV.COM
>
> postgresql# nslookup varlena.com KOLIBRI.NORCOV.COM
>
> postgresql# nslookup varlena.com ns.uunet.ca
> Server:         ns.uunet.ca
> Address:        142.77.1.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   varlena.com
> Address: 64.81.253.188

Appears to be an unreachable network altogether:

traceroute to 64.81.253.164 (64.81.253.164), 64 hops max, 44 byte packets
 1  200.46.208.1  0.947 ms  0.767 ms  0.957 ms
 2  200.46.0.4  1.338 ms  1.282 ms  1.824 ms
 3  66.110.68.1  49.511 ms  62.223 ms  48.888 ms
 4  216.6.48.9  169.134 ms  199.943 ms  203.234 ms
 5  216.6.48.30  78.447 ms  80.531 ms  79.564 ms
 6  216.6.63.42  81.974 ms  78.439 ms  79.187 ms
 7  216.6.87.6  100.811 ms  96.325 ms  93.077 ms
 8  207.45.196.134  100.158 ms  95.476 ms  80.546 ms
 9  64.125.27.138  89.820 ms  92.928 ms  100.652 ms
10  64.125.27.241  90.647 ms  78.332 ms  91.383 ms
11  64.125.27.33  91.665 ms  91.179 ms  109.132 ms
12  64.125.29.185  92.118 ms  104.413 ms  105.281 ms
13  64.125.30.205  121.897 ms  129.035 ms  150.276 ms
14  64.125.28.221  153.740 ms  159.487 ms  170.590 ms
15  209.249.11.178  181.050 ms  165.286 ms  151.951 ms
16  69.17.83.190  153.708 ms  154.842 ms  154.627 ms
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * *^C

So I doubt my changes to /etc/resolv.conf will help her either ...

- ----

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> >> I just restarted the name server(s), and same result ... I've even
> >> disabled the change I made the other day to 'disable recursive',
> >> restarted, same result ...
> >> so it isn't related to any change I've made recently :(
> >>
> >> Anyone out there with more knowledge of DNS then I have any ideas?
> >
> > whois says the domain expired very recently, and was
> updated Nov 17th.
> > My guess would be something expired before it was renewed and was
> > dropped from the zones for a while. Now you're probably
> just waiting
> > for the cache to clear...
>
> Where did you find that out?  According to whois here:
>
>    Domain Name: VARLENA.COM
>       Created on: 14-Nov-2002
>       Expires on: 12-Nov-2014
>       Last Updated on: 17-Nov-2005
>
> It was last updated Nov 17th *2005* ... a year ago ... neat

Beh. I can't read. That's of course correct. Sorry about the noise.

> thing is, shouldn't I be able to resolve from her name servers:
>
> postgresql# nslookup varlena.com JASMINE.NORCOV.COM ;;
> connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
> postgresql# nslookup varlena.com KOLIBRI.NORCOV.COM ;;
> connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Both these nameservers are on the same network (bad, bad, but that's how
it is), maybe you'r ehaving routing problems to that network?

They both resolve varlena.com for me. (Though I can't tracerotue to
them, that drops at speakeasy.net somewhere)

//Magnus

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > thing is, shouldn't I be able to resolve from her name servers:
> >
> > postgresql# nslookup varlena.com JASMINE.NORCOV.COM ;; connection
> > timed out; no servers could be reached
> >
> > postgresql# nslookup varlena.com KOLIBRI.NORCOV.COM ;; connection
> > timed out; no servers could be reached
>
> Both these nameservers are on the same network (bad, bad, but
> that's how it is), maybe you'r ehaving routing problems to
> that network?
>
> They both resolve varlena.com for me. (Though I can't
> tracerotue to them, that drops at speakeasy.net somewhere)

Actually, not so. It seems to go up and down - I get different results
from different networks, both wrt being able to resolve and
tracerouting. It's obvious they have some kind of network issues.

//Magnus

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
>
>> The number of posts I've been receiving from the pgsql mailing lists
>> I'm on has significantly dropped off.
>>

> In the same line --- Elein told me yesterday that she's been bounced
> from all the PG mailing lists.  What's going on there?

I can confirm this as well. I have had really odd reception from the
lists. Elein also emailed me and
asked if the mailing lists had changed :(.

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Nov 16, 2006, at 20:30 , Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Figured out Michael's problem, and have email'd him offlist about
> it ...

It looks like I'm back in business. Thanks, Marc, for your help. Now
to wade through the 2000 messages, I've got backed up...

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Not receiving ml posts

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> In Elein's case, its a network issue that Magnus has confirmed that he's seeing
> from various locations as well ... nothing I can do about that one ...

From here, I can resolve Elein's domain just fine, but when I tried to
email her to point her at this discussion, I got

Nov 16 15:43:42 sss2 sm-mta[634]: kAGKcgcE000631: timeout waiting for input from mail2.norcov.com. during client
greeting
Nov 16 15:43:42 sss2 sm-mta[634]: kAGKcgcE000631: to=<elein@varlena.com>, ctladdr=<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> (301/20),
delay=00:05:00,xdelay=00:05:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=120459, relay=mail2.norcov.com. [64.81.253.169], dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred:Connection timed out with mail2.norcov.com.

According to netstat the connection never got out of SYN_SENT state,
ie, no ACK ever came back.  So I concur it's some kind of connectivity
issue at her ISP.

(Interestingly enough, the third retry a few minutes later got through.
So it's also intermittent.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Not receiving ml posts

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Nov 16, 2006, at 11:07 , Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 0:04 , Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>
>> The number of posts I've been receiving from the pgsql mailing
>> lists I'm on has significantly dropped off. I do receive some, but
>> only a handful a day. I can tell from the archives that it's not
>> the case that the lists have become more quiet: I'm just not
>> getting all of them.
>
> Marc,
>
> Thanks for looking into this. I can see from the ml archives that
> you responded and cc'd me, but I didn't even get that mail. :( Did
> you get a bounce? What seems to be the problem? Is there anything
> more that I can check on my end or with my host? I've been checking
> my spam folder, and my pgsql mail is not ending up there.

Marc,

Thanks for the log entry. I've forwarded it to my hosts. Again, I
didn't receive your email, but I'm frequenting the archives page
regularly. Something's definitely off. Hopefully we can get to the
bottom of this.

Thanks again!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net