Обсуждение: New Lists?

New Lists?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

The kind people of the Tehran PUG would like to start an official
list.  How is this done, and should we have a procedure on the web for
getting this started?

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: New Lists?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hello,

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 21:55 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> The kind people of the Tehran PUG would like to start an official
> list.  How is this done.

We need a "list administrator's" e-mail first, after someone asks for
the list. Then, if noone objects, Marc creates the list in the form
"pgsql-"COUNTRY_CODE_ISO-3166-STANDARD"-"The local word for 'General'"

For example: pgsql-tr-genel, etc.

But, *in my opinion*, the list administrator must either be a well-known
person in the community or must be endorsed by a well-known person in
the community. We must be sure that (s)he is among the PostgreSQL
leaders in that country.

> and should we have a procedure on the web for getting this started?

Yes, we should add the procedure to our web page, agreed.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: New Lists?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 11:27:42AM +0300, Devrim G?ND?Z wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 21:55 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>
> > The kind people of the Tehran PUG would like to start an official
> > list.  How is this done.
>
> We need a "list administrator's" e-mail first, after someone asks
> for the list. Then, if noone objects, Marc creates the list in the
> form "pgsql-"COUNTRY_CODE_ISO-3166-STANDARD"-"The local word for
> 'General'"
>
> For example: pgsql-tr-genel, etc.
>
> But, *in my opinion*, the list administrator must either be a
> well-known person in the community or must be endorsed by a
> well-known person in the community. We must be sure that (s)he is
> among the PostgreSQL leaders in that country.

I like this idea, but I have questions about how we assess this.  We
have a sample of size comfortably less than 10 from all of the
People's Republic of China, and fewer still from Iran.  How do we know
whom we're talking to?

One way to define leadership is "those who step up and do the work."
It's always possible to revisit :)

> > and should we have a procedure on the web for getting this started?
>
> Yes, we should add the procedure to our web page, agreed.

:)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: New Lists?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: New Lists?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
David,

Just so you and others are aware: there can't be any interaction between the
Tehran PUG and SPI.  Stupid US embargo laws.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: New Lists?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 12:45:15PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> David,
>
> Just so you and others are aware: there can't be any interaction
> between the Tehran PUG and SPI.  Stupid US embargo laws.

I'm aware :P

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: New Lists?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> Just so you and others are aware: there can't be any interaction between
> the Tehran PUG and SPI.  Stupid US embargo laws.

Oh, related to this ... are the pugs mailing lists and the pugs.postgresql.org
VM located on a machine outside the US?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: New Lists?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> David,
>
> Just so you and others are aware: there can't be any interaction between the
> Tehran PUG and SPI.  Stupid US embargo laws.

Would we have a problem if any of the servers carrying list archives, or
linking to the lists were partially or fully funded by SPI or another US
based company?

/D

Re: New Lists?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 01:07:37PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > Just so you and others are aware: there can't be any interaction
> > between the Tehran PUG and SPI.  Stupid US embargo laws.
>
> Oh, related to this ... are the pugs mailing lists and the
> pugs.postgresql.org VM located on a machine outside the US?

As far as I know, they're still on redhotpenguin servers, which are
here in the SF Bay Area.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: New Lists?

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On May 30, 2007, at 1:27 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

>> and should we have a procedure on the web for getting this started?
>
> Yes, we should add the procedure to our web page, agreed.

And, if you're creating the Tehran archives.postgresql.org page,
could you please update the pdxpug page (http://
archives.postgresql.org/pdxpug/) to look more like http://
archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/ at the same time?

I volunteer to do this if someone gives me access, although I'm not
sure I meet the criteria Devrim laid out. 8-)

Thanks,
-selena

Re: New Lists?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 11:02 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> I like this idea, but I have questions about how we assess this.  We
> have a sample of size comfortably less than 10 from all of the
> People's Republic of China, and fewer still from Iran.  How do we know
> whom we're talking to?

How do you know that the people who ask you a list is really a
PostgreSQL guy? When I asked for a list for -tr (which is the first
country-specific list...) noone objected since people knew me.

"Endorsing by a known community member" is a good option, when there are
few people in that specific country.

... BTW, "leadership" does not meet the meaning that I wanted to say.
Ignore that part, please.

> One way to define leadership is "those who step up and do the work."
> It's always possible to revisit :)

Once we create the list, people from local community will ask for
updates whenever the list administrator cannot administrate the list any
longer.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: New Lists?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

> Would we have a problem if any of the servers carrying list archives, or
> linking to the lists were partially or fully funded by SPI or another US
> based company?

Yes, potentially.  It's enough that we'd have to talk to an attorney.

> As far as I know, they're still on redhotpenguin servers, which are
> here in the SF Bay Area.

Oh.  That could be a problem.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: New Lists?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 02:27:54PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> > Would we have a problem if any of the servers carrying list archives, or
> > linking to the lists were partially or fully funded by SPI or another US
> > based company?
>
> Yes, potentially.  It's enough that we'd have to talk to an attorney.
>
> > As far as I know, they're still on redhotpenguin servers, which are
> > here in the SF Bay Area.
>
> Oh.  That could be a problem.

We've already got Tunisia and United Arab Emirates lists on there.
I'm not sure whether either of those countries is subject to export
controls :P

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: New Lists?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
David,

> We've already got Tunisia and United Arab Emirates lists on there.
> I'm not sure whether either of those countries is subject to export
> controls :P

No.  I've been checking.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: New Lists?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:26:00AM +0300, Devrim G?ND?Z wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 11:02 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > I like this idea, but I have questions about how we assess this.
> > We have a sample of size comfortably less than 10 from all of the
> > People's Republic of China, and fewer still from Iran.  How do we
> > know whom we're talking to?
>
> How do you know that the people who ask you a list is really a
> PostgreSQL guy? When I asked for a list for -tr (which is the first
> country-specific list...) noone objected since people knew me.

That is the problem.  Not every country has a known representative,
nor, I think, should we demand that that they do in order to get
started.

> "Endorsing by a known community member" is a good option, when there
> are few people in that specific country.

In China, we have approximately zero.  Similar with Iran.

> ... BTW, "leadership" does not meet the meaning that I wanted to
> say.  Ignore that part, please.
>
> > One way to define leadership is "those who step up and do the
> > work." It's always possible to revisit :)
>
> Once we create the list, people from local community will ask for
> updates whenever the list administrator cannot administrate the list
> any longer.

OK :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: New Lists?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: New Lists?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: New Lists?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 08:28:26PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Wednesday, May 30, 2007 13:11:42 -0700 David Fetter <david@fetter.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 01:07:37PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Marc,

> >> Oh, related to this ... are the pugs mailing lists and the
> >> pugs.postgresql.org VM located on a machine outside the US?
> >
> > As far as I know, they're still on redhotpenguin servers, which are
> > here in the SF Bay Area.
>
> They never have been:
>
> Name:   pugs.postgresql.org
> Address: 200.46.204.175

Great :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: New Lists?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 30 May 2007 18:17, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:26:00AM +0300, Devrim G?ND?Z wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 11:02 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > > I like this idea, but I have questions about how we assess this.
> > > We have a sample of size comfortably less than 10 from all of the
> > > People's Republic of China, and fewer still from Iran.  How do we
> > > know whom we're talking to?
> >
> > How do you know that the people who ask you a list is really a
> > PostgreSQL guy? When I asked for a list for -tr (which is the first
> > country-specific list...) noone objected since people knew me.
>
> That is the problem.  Not every country has a known representative,
> nor, I think, should we demand that that they do in order to get
> started.
>
> > "Endorsing by a known community member" is a good option, when there
> > are few people in that specific country.
>
> In China, we have approximately zero.  Similar with Iran.

Eh... I've spoken with a few chinese members on related topics... and have at
least one I'd endorse if I had to.

> > ... BTW, "leadership" does not meet the meaning that I wanted to
> > say.  Ignore that part, please.
> >
> > > One way to define leadership is "those who step up and do the
> > > work." It's always possible to revisit :)
> >
> > Once we create the list, people from local community will ask for
> > updates whenever the list administrator cannot administrate the list
> > any longer.

yeah, I don't see too much concern from that side.

--
Robert Treat