Обсуждение: killing gborg - devision of labor

killing gborg - devision of labor

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Ok folks,

I've gotten in contact with some of the project admins and have some projects
that are ready to move and want to come up with a game plan for moving people
across.  I'm not overly familiar with some of the parts of the system, so I
am hoping that someone else can jump in for certain parts. Here's a recap of
what I think needs to happen for moving a project:

1. create a new project on pgfoundry and assign that project to the proper
owner.  I can submit these requests and include the proper info, though
someone will have to approve it.

2. Move CVS -  I think this is a simple move from one machine to the other
right?  ISTM this has been done before for other projects, is this something
I can just ask to have done and someone (Marc? Dave?) can make it happen? :-)

3. Mailing lists - AIUI this is a bit tricker.  Right now we don't have any
way to quietly migrate mailing lists right?  For a project to move it's list,
we create a new one on the pgfoundry site, and then load in a list of current
subscribers from gborg... does that sound right, or is there some other
method?  Again this is an area I'm not familiar with someone whom I can
coordinate this through would be great.

4. Moving bugs and tracker items - I know folks have talked about using
scripts to do this in the past, do such scripts exists? If not I can look
into writing one up... though if someone knows that to be a dead-end we can
probably brute force it by recreating at least the open items for each
project (assuming the projects are willing to help on this)

5. documentation / downloads - For projects that have a release history, I am
guessing there is no way to magically move these over; they are something
that will have to be done manually? If that's not the case please lmk,
otherwise I'll let project owners know thatsthe case.

Please let me know if there are other items I am overlooking. Since I have a
couple of projects ready to move, I'd like to start pushing these through
sooner rather than later, since it will take some effort to coordinate
things.  TIA.

--
Robert Treat

Re: killing gborg - devision of labor

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Ok folks,
>
> I've gotten in contact with some of the project admins and have some projects
> that are ready to move and want to come up with a game plan for moving people
> across.  I'm not overly familiar with some of the parts of the system, so I
> am hoping that someone else can jump in for certain parts. Here's a recap of
> what I think needs to happen for moving a project:
>
> 1. create a new project on pgfoundry and assign that project to the proper
> owner.  I can submit these requests and include the proper info, though
> someone will have to approve it.

the approval is handled by the gforge-admin team - so just submit them
and they will get approved.

> 2. Move CVS -  I think this is a simple move from one machine to the other
> right?  ISTM this has been done before for other projects, is this something
> I can just ask to have done and someone (Marc? Dave?) can make it happen? :-)
>
> 3. Mailing lists - AIUI this is a bit tricker.  Right now we don't have any
> way to quietly migrate mailing lists right?  For a project to move it's list,
> we create a new one on the pgfoundry site, and then load in a list of current
> subscribers from gborg... does that sound right, or is there some other
> method?  Again this is an area I'm not familiar with someone whom I can
> coordinate this through would be great.
>
> 4. Moving bugs and tracker items - I know folks have talked about using
> scripts to do this in the past, do such scripts exists? If not I can look
> into writing one up... though if someone knows that to be a dead-end we can
> probably brute force it by recreating at least the open items for each
> project (assuming the projects are willing to help on this)

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000013 has some scripts that
might be of use

Stefan

Re: killing gborg - devision of labor

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: killing gborg - devision of labor

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Ok folks,
>
> I've gotten in contact with some of the project admins and have some projects
> that are ready to move and want to come up with a game plan for moving people
> across.  I'm not overly familiar with some of the parts of the system, so I
> am hoping that someone else can jump in for certain parts. Here's a recap of
> what I think needs to happen for moving a project:
>
> 1. create a new project on pgfoundry and assign that project to the proper
> owner.  I can submit these requests and include the proper info, though
> someone will have to approve it.

Note that pgfoundry is about to move.
Yes someone will have to approve it.

> 2. Move CVS -  I think this is a simple move from one machine to the other
> right?  ISTM this has been done before for other projects, is this something
> I can just ask to have done and someone (Marc? Dave?) can make it happen? :-)

Yes it is as simple as moving the repo "once" the pgfoundry project is
setup.

> 3. Mailing lists - AIUI this is a bit tricker.  Right now we don't have any
> way to quietly migrate mailing lists right?  For a project to move it's list,
> we create a new one on the pgfoundry site, and then load in a list of current
> subscribers from gborg... does that sound right, or is there some other
> method?  Again this is an area I'm not familiar with someone whom I can
> coordinate this through would be great.

Actually this isn't that tough:

1. Create duplicative prefix name for list (foo-general@gborg ==
foo-general@pgfoundry)
2. Subscribe all users from gborg to pgfoundry (also easy as command
utilities exist, both are running mailman)
3. Redirect aliases on gborg to aliases on pgfoundry so that old users
can use old list address for short time
4. Move mboxes to regenerate archives.

> 4. Moving bugs and tracker items - I know folks have talked about using
> scripts to do this in the past, do such scripts exists? If not I can look

Supposedly to some degree they do, I would note that this is where the
migration usually stops because no one has used the scripts and
obviously nobody is willing to do the work by hand.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: killing gborg - devision of labor

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> Ok folks,
>> I've gotten in contact with some of the project admins and have some
>> projects that are ready to move and want to come up with a game plan
>> for moving people across.  I'm not overly familiar with some of the
>> parts of the system, so I am hoping that someone else can jump in for
>> certain parts. Here's a recap of what I think needs to happen for
>> moving a project:
>>
>> 1. create a new project on pgfoundry and assign that project to the
>> proper owner.  I can submit these requests and include the proper
>> info, though someone will have to approve it.
>
> Note that pgfoundry is about to move.

Yeah - I'll make sure we coordinate that with Rob though. I want to make
sure we minimise the impact of either project on the other.

Regards, Dave

Re: killing gborg - devision of labor

От
Chris Ryan
Дата:
   I was reviewing the conversion script that was created and it only
does the project and bugs. Nothing else was ever written to convert the
rest of the information.  Is there a feel yet for what projects are
willing to leave behind and what they won't. In the past most of the
projects that wanted to move and have done so already were happy with
CVS. I don't know if that is the case though as for the remaining
projects.

Chris Ryan

http://tv.yahoo.com/

Re: killing gborg - devision of labor

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Chris,

>     I was reviewing the conversion script that was created and it only
> does the project and bugs. Nothing else was ever written to convert the
> rest of the information.  Is there a feel yet for what projects are
> willing to leave behind and what they won't. In the past most of the
> projects that wanted to move and have done so already were happy with
> CVS. I don't know if that is the case though as for the remaining
> projects.

Also, note that I last synchronized users over a year ago, so any new users in
Gborg since then will need to be added *under the same ids* to pgfoundry for
the scripts to work.  The ids have an offset to prevent overlap.

Complicating this is that some users may have been added under the same names
in both systems with different user ids.  We'll have to come up with a script
to fix this.

As for CVS vs. SVN, I think we should worry about SVN support after we get
Gborg shut down and pgFoundry moved to a new server.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: killing gborg - devision of labor

От
Chris Ryan
Дата:
Josh,
   Yes I was aware of that but it's good to bring that to everyones
attention. That is one of the reasons that makes the automated
conversion now harder than it was way-back-when and why I think the
more projects we can get to move with just CVS and or mailman archives
would be the easiest.

Chris Ryan

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC