Обсуждение: Moving the website project from GBorg

Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Dave Page
Дата:
I've created a pgweb project on pgFoundry to migrate from GBorg to. The
original idea was to migrate the CVS and just lose the bugs etc. as
they're largely out of date at the moment anyway. We can make an effort
to be more organised with the more usable pgFoundry trackers in the future.

Magnus has since come up with an idea though, that instead of using CVS
on pgFoundry, we move the website CVS to an SVN repository actually on
wwwmaster to remove the dependency on pgFoundry for the operation of the
website. This seems like a fine idea to me - any other thoughts or ideas?

/D

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 09:06:58AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> I've created a pgweb project on pgFoundry to migrate from GBorg to. The
> original idea was to migrate the CVS and just lose the bugs etc. as
> they're largely out of date at the moment anyway. We can make an effort
> to be more organised with the more usable pgFoundry trackers in the future.

They're only slightly more usable, but still ;-)
Agreed (again) on the fact that we just drop whatever's tehre now. It's all
insanely out of date.

> Magnus has since come up with an idea though, that instead of using CVS
> on pgFoundry, we move the website CVS to an SVN repository actually on
> wwwmaster to remove the dependency on pgFoundry for the operation of the
> website. This seems like a fine idea to me - any other thoughts or ideas?

Can we set up some way to replicate that repository *back* into pgfoundry?
Might be nice for "outsiders" to be able to use the cvs viewer... Or we
just add a simplistic cvs viewer on wwwmaster for them?

//Magnus

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 09:06:58AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> I've created a pgweb project on pgFoundry to migrate from GBorg to. The
>> original idea was to migrate the CVS and just lose the bugs etc. as
>> they're largely out of date at the moment anyway. We can make an effort
>> to be more organised with the more usable pgFoundry trackers in the future.
>
> They're only slightly more usable, but still ;-)
> Agreed (again) on the fact that we just drop whatever's tehre now. It's all
> insanely out of date.
>
>> Magnus has since come up with an idea though, that instead of using CVS
>> on pgFoundry, we move the website CVS to an SVN repository actually on
>> wwwmaster to remove the dependency on pgFoundry for the operation of the
>> website. This seems like a fine idea to me - any other thoughts or ideas?
>
> Can we set up some way to replicate that repository *back* into pgfoundry?
> Might be nice for "outsiders" to be able to use the cvs viewer... Or we
> just add a simplistic cvs viewer on wwwmaster for them?

We could probably rsync it back in, *when* we have a SVN-supporting
GForge, assuming that it remains 1 repo per project.

/D

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 04:39, Dave Page wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 09:06:58AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> >> I've created a pgweb project on pgFoundry to migrate from GBorg to. The
> >> original idea was to migrate the CVS and just lose the bugs etc. as
> >> they're largely out of date at the moment anyway. We can make an effort
> >> to be more organised with the more usable pgFoundry trackers in the
> >> future.
> >
> > They're only slightly more usable, but still ;-)
> > Agreed (again) on the fact that we just drop whatever's tehre now. It's
> > all insanely out of date.
> >
> >> Magnus has since come up with an idea though, that instead of using CVS
> >> on pgFoundry, we move the website CVS to an SVN repository actually on
> >> wwwmaster to remove the dependency on pgFoundry for the operation of the
> >> website. This seems like a fine idea to me - any other thoughts or
> >> ideas?
> >
> > Can we set up some way to replicate that repository *back* into
> > pgfoundry? Might be nice for "outsiders" to be able to use the cvs
> > viewer... Or we just add a simplistic cvs viewer on wwwmaster for them?
>
> We could probably rsync it back in, *when* we have a SVN-supporting
> GForge, assuming that it remains 1 repo per project.

If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to put up
a public trac site some place and make use of it?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

> If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to put up
> a public trac site some place and make use of it?

Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used, other
than the SVN interface.

/D

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:53:11PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> >
> > If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to put up
> > a public trac site some place and make use of it?
> >

> Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used, other
> than the SVN interface.

I use Trac as a svn browser all the time, FWIW. I like it a lot more than
viewcvs or whatever it is you use for pgadmin ;-) But that's just a matter
of taste. Either one *works* fine :)

//Magnus

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 11:02, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:53:11PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> > > If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to
> > > put up a public trac site some place and make use of it?
> >
> > Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used, other
> > than the SVN interface.
>
> I use Trac as a svn browser all the time, FWIW. I like it a lot more than
> viewcvs or whatever it is you use for pgadmin ;-) But that's just a matter
> of taste. Either one *works* fine :)

Well, you get integrated SVN with browser which is good, but also a bug
tracking thingy if people wanted to use that... and a wiki for public
documentation... all kinds of goodies.  (Yes, we are officially in bizarro
world when I'm the one promoting trac sites...)

--
Robert Treat

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 11:02, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used, other
>>> than the SVN interface.
>> I use Trac as a svn browser all the time, FWIW. I like it a lot more than
>> viewcvs or whatever it is you use for pgadmin ;-) But that's just a matter
>> of taste. Either one *works* fine :)
>>

> Well, you get integrated SVN with browser which is good, but also a bug
> tracking thingy if people wanted to use that... and a wiki for public
> documentation... all kinds of goodies.

Pretty much all of which we already have don't we?

> (Yes, we are officially in bizarro
> world when I'm the one promoting trac sites...)

Yeah, that is weird. Make it stop please - I'm feeling quite queasy :-S

/D

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Dave Page wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>>> I use Trac as a svn browser all the time, FWIW. I like it a lot more than
>>> viewcvs or whatever it is you use for pgadmin ;-) But that's just a matter
>>> of taste. Either one *works* fine :)
>>>
>> Well, you get integrated SVN with browser which is good, but also a bug
>> tracking thingy if people wanted to use that... and a wiki for public
>> documentation... all kinds of goodies.
>
> Pretty much all of which we already have don't we?

well yeah and it is also a bit of duplication of the features we
(mostly) have on pgfoundry already ...

Stefan

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Robert Treat wrote:
>>>>
>>> Well, you get integrated SVN with browser which is good, but also a bug
>>> tracking thingy if people wanted to use that... and a wiki for public
>>> documentation... all kinds of goodies.
>> Pretty much all of which we already have don't we?
>
> well yeah and it is also a bit of duplication of the features we
> (mostly) have on pgfoundry already ...

Right. What we could do is just stick up a trac (or whatever, really)
*until* pgfoundry has svn support.

//Magnus

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 12:42, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > Dave Page wrote:

> >> Pretty much all of which we already have don't we?
> >
> > well yeah and it is also a bit of duplication of the features we
> > (mostly) have on pgfoundry already ...
>
> Right. What we could do is just stick up a trac (or whatever, really)
> *until* pgfoundry has svn support.

Did I miss the part where someone said that they'd like to not have the
website be dependent on pgfoundry?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
>> Right. What we could do is just stick up a trac (or whatever, really)
>> *until* pgfoundry has svn support.
>>

> Did I miss the part where someone said that they'd like to not have the
> website be dependent on pgfoundry?

That would be me - yes, I think it would be a feature not to be
dependent on pgfoundry. Especially given pgfoundrys history, but also in
general wrt external depdendencies.

What I'd envision is to have the primary archive on wwwmaster and
replicate it off to pgfoundry - since we want public access to the code,
and that would be a logical place to have it.

//Magnus

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Moving the website project from GBorg

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 17:24, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> --On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 15:53:11 +0100 Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>
>
> wrote:
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> >> If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to
> >> put up  a public trac site some place and make use of it?
> >
> > Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used, other
> > than the SVN interface.
>
> Why not just put the project on pgfoundry, and replicate the repository to
> wwwmaster, so that wwwmaster itself isn't relying on pgfoundry ... instead
> of putting it on wwwmaster and trying to replicate it to pgfoundry ... ?

We may need to make website changes even if pgfoundry is down.

--
Robert Treat