Обсуждение: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus, all:

1) Sun still does not appear in the list of commercial sources for
PostgreSQL.   Why did this not get committed?

2) Someone added "TrafficReports" under a new category "Reporting".
This is unreasonable favoritism towards a single reporting project.
Either we need to list at least 6 of the OSS & commercial reporting
tools which support PostgreSQL, or delete the category alltogther (I
support the latter).

--Josh Berkus

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Magnus, all:
>
> 1) Sun still does not appear in the list of commercial sources for
> PostgreSQL.   Why did this not get committed?

this looks more like missunderstanding than anything else ...
iirc after the last discussion about that topic correctly devrim quickly
added solaris/opensolaris here :

http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/pgweb-commits/2007-August/001734.html

under "commercial software"(ie.:
http://www.postgresql.org/download/commercial) but I guess you were
actually taking about the small listing on the very end of the
"Downloads" main page (http://www.postgresql.org/download/) - right ?

> 2) Someone added "TrafficReports" under a new category "Reporting". This
> is unreasonable favoritism towards a single reporting project. Either we
> need to list at least 6 of the OSS & commercial reporting tools which
> support PostgreSQL, or delete the category alltogther (I support the
> latter).

not so sure about that category either but are there more reporting
tools out there that are worth mentioning ?

Stefan

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
"Dave Page"

That was me. It was not favouritism - I've never used the product and I don't know the author(s). It just happens that
they'rethe only reporting project who have asked for a listing.

Oh, and we don't include commercial products there at all - they have a separate 'by request' page.

If you want to add apps to either page then feel free to send patches (or prompt others to send in their details). I'm
notgoing to go off compiling lists myself though.

/D

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Stefan,

> under "commercial software"(ie.:
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/commercial) but I guess you were
> actually taking about the small listing on the very end of the
> "Downloads" main page (http://www.postgresql.org/download/) - right ?

Correct, since that's where other OS platforms are listed.  If RH & EDB
are there, Solaris ought to be there.

>> 2) Someone added "TrafficReports" under a new category "Reporting". This
>> is unreasonable favoritism towards a single reporting project. Either we
>> need to list at least 6 of the OSS & commercial reporting tools which
>> support PostgreSQL, or delete the category alltogther (I support the
>> latter).
>
> not so sure about that category either but are there more reporting
> tools out there that are worth mentioning ?

Only a few dozen.  JasperReports, OpenRPT, Pentaho, BusinessObjects,
Microstrategy, BIRT, etc, etc.

Overall, I think adding stuff to this page (and frankly, elsewhere on
the web site) needs to be discussed on list (or at least announced) and
not just arbitrarily added.  When we put one product in a category on
the page and not others it gives the appearance of favoritism.  Also, by
adding something like a reporting category with only one entry in it, we
give the impression that it's the *only* reporting tool which works with
PostgreSQL.

For reporting tools specifically, it should be removed from the
downloads page and added to the Tools page, or get its own Reporting
page.  There are too many reporting tools which work with PostgreSQL to
have it on the main downloads page.

I also question moving the /commercial stuff to a permanent page rather
than techdocs.  This list of compatible tools is *far* to volatile to
depend on CVS access to update it.  Please move it back to Techdocs.

--Josh

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> For reporting tools specifically, it should be removed from the
> downloads page and added to the Tools page, or get its own Reporting
> page.  There are too many reporting tools which work with PostgreSQL to
> have it on the main downloads page.
>
> I also question moving the /commercial stuff to a permanent page rather
> than techdocs.  This list of compatible tools is *far* to volatile to
> depend on CVS access to update it.  Please move it back to Techdocs.

Are you talking about the same website as the rest of us Josh? There is
no 'Tools' download page, nor has there ever been as far as I'm aware,
and the Commercial stuff hasn't been moved from Techdocs at all - it's
been there for nearly 3 years as a page in it's own right, started form
scratch.

If we do anything with those pages it will be to remove the general FOSS
stuff from the downloads page and include it, and all the commercial
stuff in a database backed application directory.

/D

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> Are you talking about the same website as the rest of us Josh? There is
> no 'Tools' download page, nor has there ever been as far as I'm aware,

The Commercial page is a page of tools, by content.

> and the Commercial stuff hasn't been moved from Techdocs at all - it's
> been there for nearly 3 years as a page in it's own right, started form
> scratch.

Parts of it, at least, were copied from the old techdocs.  I know because I
wrote some of the text, and recognize my own writing.

My point with this page is that many parts of it are out of date, and the
subject matter is diverse enough that it needs to be in a part of our site
which is under a CMS rather than WWW-rights and CVS-based so that more of
the community can keep it up to date.

> If we do anything with those pages it will be to remove the general FOSS
> stuff from the downloads page and include it, and all the commercial
> stuff in a database backed application directory.

Sounds good to me.  We still need to make it obvious from the downloads
page, though, to cut down on the "where is the C++ driver" type questions.
But we could do that by topic rather than individually, e.g. "A list of
Drivers is <link>here</link>"

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 01 October 2007 14:35, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> > under "commercial software"(ie.:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/download/commercial) but I guess you were
> > actually taking about the small listing on the very end of the
> > "Downloads" main page (http://www.postgresql.org/download/) - right ?
>
> Correct, since that's where other OS platforms are listed.  If RH & EDB
> are there, Solaris ought to be there.

We're not trying to list every OS that can run postgres in this section, we're
trying to provide pointers for end users to standardized package systems they
may want to use to manage installation.  As I stated previously[1], if you
can provide a pointer to a package management system for Sun, we can
certainly add it here.

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2007-09/msg00000.php

--
Robert Treat

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> We're not trying to list every OS that can run postgres in this section,
> we're trying to provide pointers for end users to standardized package
> systems they may want to use to manage installation.  As I stated
> previously[1], if you can provide a pointer to a package management
> system for Sun, we can certainly add it here.

Thing is, if you install OpenSolaris or Solaris 10 PostgreSQL is simply
there.  There's no additional packages required.  I also think there are
enough sources that some of this should be organized by OS.  So:

Solaris users can get PostgreSQL from <a
href="http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/postgresql">Blastwave</a>.
For users of Solaris 10 update 2 or later, PostgreSQL is simply included.

The OSX references should be reorganized to:

Mac OSX users can get PostgreSQL packages from <a
href="http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/postgresql">Fink</a>, <a
href="http://www.macports.org/">MacPorts</a>, or
<http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>Entropy.ch</a>.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

> Mac OSX users can get PostgreSQL packages from <a
> href="http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/postgresql">Fink</a>,
> <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>Entropy.ch</a>.

Actually:

href="http://www.macports.org/">MacPorts</a>, <a