Обсуждение: GIT repo broken

GIT repo broken

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

I noticed the other day that the branches in the GIT postgresql.git
repository do not contain any patch after it was released.  For example,
in

http://git.postgresql.org/?p=postgresql.git;a=shortlog;h=REL8_3_STABLE

the last commit is on 2008-02-12.  For example this commit is not there:
http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/nls-global.mk?rev=1.14

What's going on here?

Re: GIT repo broken

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: GIT repo broken

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > I noticed the other day that the branches in the GIT postgresql.git
> > repository do not contain any patch after it was released.
>
> The cvs->git import script doesn't handle branches yet: this is a known problem,
> just wanted to reply here so there it is on record. No idea of when it might
> be fixed: I looked it over, but I need stronger git/ruby skills and/or more
> free time to figure it all out.

Huh, this seems to make the repo a non-starter for any serious work.

Re: GIT repo broken

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 30 June 2008 10:03:15 Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > I noticed the other day that the branches in the GIT postgresql.git
> > repository do not contain any patch after it was released.
>
> The cvs->git import script doesn't handle branches yet: this is a known
> problem, just wanted to reply here so there it is on record. No idea of
> when it might be fixed: I looked it over, but I need stronger git/ruby
> skills and/or more free time to figure it all out.

I'm not entirely sure that is true though it certainly looks that way from
initial start.  I've been messing around with the ppa repo on some other git
providers and I have repos that seem to have all of my branches... need to do
a bit more legwork to determine if it is all actually working though.

--
Robert Treat

Re: GIT repo broken

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 30 June 2008 11:57:58 Robert Treat wrote:
> On Monday 30 June 2008 10:03:15 Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > > I noticed the other day that the branches in the GIT postgresql.git
> > > repository do not contain any patch after it was released.
> >
> > The cvs->git import script doesn't handle branches yet: this is a known
> > problem, just wanted to reply here so there it is on record. No idea of
> > when it might be fixed: I looked it over, but I need stronger git/ruby
> > skills and/or more free time to figure it all out.
>
> I'm not entirely sure that is true though it certainly looks that way from
> initial start.  I've been messing around with the ppa repo on some other
> git providers and I have repos that seem to have all of my branches... need
> to do a bit more legwork to determine if it is all actually working though.

Just to follow up, I have managed to get all of the branches / tags from the
PPA tree into a git repo.  Now, this used my local git tools and tools of a
git hosting service, so it is possible it wont work with the postgresql.org
tools, but I think all the versions are the same, so hopefully it should.
Still no sudo for me, so poke me on irc and we can do some testing.

--
Robert Treat

Re: GIT repo broken

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Montag, 30. Juni 2008 schrieb Greg Sabino Mullane:
> The cvs->git import script doesn't handle branches yet: this is a known
> problem, just wanted to reply here so there it is on record. No idea of
> when it might be fixed: I looked it over, but I need stronger git/ruby
> skills and/or more free time to figure it all out.

I think the tool does handle branches, it just broke somewhere along the way
and now it doesn't continue.  It has been suspected that this happens when
the git-cvs update happens while an rsync of the CVS repository is in
progress, owing to the nonatomic nature of CVS.

We should probably rebuild the Git repository sometime, but everytime you do
that all the commit IDs change, and I haven't had the enthusiasm yet to give
users a proper recipe for dealing with that, e.g., pulling and merging or
rebasing to adjust existing clones to the upstream.  If someone has an idea
how to deal with the latter, I'd appreciate that.