Обсуждение: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> I'd like to reiterate my request for some (or better?) spam filtering on
> the lists. I just rejected over 50 messages to pgsql-bugs, all of them
> spam and 95% of them would be easily caught by the worst spam filter
> on the market. The chance of the moderators mistakenly rejecting a
> legitimate message increases as the volume of spam does. If this is
> something the project cannot handle for technical/political reasons,
> there are plenty of third-party spam filtering solutions out there,
> some of which are using Postgres and would probably be happy to provide
> the service to us.

I am confused --- we have no spam filter for the bugs list?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 11:09 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I am confused --- we have no spam filter for the bugs list?

We do I am sure, I just find that @postgresql.org spam filtering is
lacking. I get more spam at my @postgresql.org address than my
@commandprompt.com address by far.

I have just learned to overlook it.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:01:13AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I have just learned to overlook it.

But moderators can't overlook it.  We have to troll through piles of
it.  Much of it is in Cyrillic or CJK, and is just obviously not aimed
at the list.  We still have to process it.

(I say "we" even though I am still unable to send mail from the
account I moderate from, and therefore can't do any useful
moderating.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:07 -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:01:13AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > I have just learned to overlook it.
>
> But moderators can't overlook it.  We have to troll through piles of
> it.  Much of it is in Cyrillic or CJK, and is just obviously not aimed
> at the list.  We still have to process it.

Yeah I thought about it afterword, I moderate announce. I get maybe a
dozen a day.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 23:17 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Its sad how this is such an ongoing problem, but this is the first that I hear
> that ppl are having problems ...

I can only assume you mean "this time".

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

I just cleared out the AWL ... going through the stuff label'd as 'non-spam',
am finding alot of stuff scoring a bit low due to the From being in AWL ...

Does anyone know if there is some 'rule' that return mail about 'Undeliverable'
has to be in English?  I'm finding some that *look* like that sort of thing,
but in other languages / character sets, and wonder if there is an RFC that is
meant to direct such stuff 'in English'?  (ie. should I be marking that stuff
as spam, since *I* can't confirm it isn't?)

- --On Wednesday, July 16, 2008 23:17:22 -0300 "Marc G. Fournier"
<scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> --

- --
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:01:08AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is some 'rule' that return mail about 'Undeliverable'
> has to be in English?

Nope, there isn't.  The bounce message is intended for human
consumption, and therefore localisation is approproate.

Note, however, that many of the messages should have a Content-Type:
multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status; header.  See RFC 3462,
which obsoletes RFC 1892.

RFC 3462 requires a machine-parsable delivery report, and one such
report is defined in RFC 3464.  Many mail systems (most?) conform to
this these days, so just detecting thatt here is a delivery-status
header, then parsing the second body-part for "^Action: failed" oughta
work.  The message/delivery-status content-type MUST be 7 bit, so you
can be relatively certain it's not going to be anything but ASCII.
(AFAIK, there are no machines left on the Internet that leak 7-bit
charsets that are not ASCII).

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:17:22PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Its sad how this is such an ongoing problem, but this is the first that I hear
> that ppl are having problems

I believe I mentioned this before.  If you really want me to plough
through the archives, I will.

> I can change the quarantining to be >4 if ppl want, which should greatly reduce
> the # of messages going through ...

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>> I can change the quarantining to be >4 if ppl want, which should
>> greatly reduce the # of messages going through ...
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me.

'k, I'll put it down to 4 tonight, and increase the frequency I check for
false-positives accordingly, to make sure that I don't get a big spike as
a result ...

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

> Its sad how this is such an ongoing problem, but this is the first that I hear
> that ppl are having problems ... looking at the message headers for a random
> few, I notice that they are scoring >4, but just below 5:
> I can change the quarantining to be >4 if ppl want, which should greatly reduce
> the # of messages going through ...

I think that would be a good start, but there are definitely some other problems.
First, the example you gave:

> DCC_CHECK=1.37, DIGEST_MULTIPLE=0.001, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001,
> MIME_HTML_ONLY=1.672, RAZOR2_CHECK=0.5, RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET=2.188,
> RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB=1.117

A score of 0.001 for HTML_MESSAGE? Might as well not have the check at all. Same
with things like DIGEST_MULTIPLE. I think we need more checks, and much higher
scores for many of them.

I grabbed a few random messages from the bugs list last night. Most interesting
was that some had no X-Spam-Status headers at all - does this mean they slipped
through the spam filtering entirely? Here's one of them:

===
for<pgsql-bugs-postgresql.org@postgresql.org>; Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:40:45 -0300 (ADT)

10024)withESMTP id 48600-04-3 for <pgsql-bugs-postgresql.org@postgresql.org>;Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:40:43 -0300 (ADT)

withESMTP id AB1D565026D       for <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>; Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:40:44 -0300 (ADT)

(8.13.8/8.13.8)with ESMTP id m6GIehuA007983       for <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>; Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:40:43 GMT
(envelope-fromwww@wwwmaster.postgresql.org)

16Jul 2008 18:40:43 GMT       (envelope-from www)

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:40:43 GMT
To: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: BUG #4310: PkMERMInZQ
From: "make money on line" <makemoney@money2009.com>

Bug reference:      4310
Logged by:          make money on line
Email address:      makemoney@money2009.com
PostgreSQL version: IUrjkiPgQkQXNgo
Operating system:   aJzBuaSGetA
Details:

">work at home jobs 101waystoincome.com</a>

====

Did it get whitelisted because it came from our form? I still think we
should scan it  - the "make money on line" is a dead giveaway, and
when I ran a local spamassassin on it, I even found:
2.0 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist                           [URIs:
101waystoincome.com]

Here's another one from last night that did have a spam header. I apologize
for how long this post is getting, but I'm trying to provide some hard data:
===

for<pgsql-hackers-postgresql.org@postgresql.org>; Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:15:20 -0300 (ADT)

10024)withESMTP id 35883-07 for <pgsql-hackers-postgresql.org@postgresql.org>;Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:15:11 -0300 (ADT)

8ECBB64FCE4      for <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>; Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:15:17 -0300 (ADT)

200803:59:43 +0200

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 02:59:41 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
From: "Tajana for(Mrs. Lucy Berg)" <clementetajana@virgilio.it>
Subject: REMINDER NOTIFICATION
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

REMINDER NOTIFICATION

This email is to notify you that your Email
Address attached to a
Ticket Number(140408) has won an Award Sum of
($500,000.00)(Five
Hundred Thousand Dollars)In an Email Sweepstakes
program held in
The Netherlands these year 2008.Please contact the
claim officer
through the below given contact information.

MR.HANSON
CHRIS.
TEL. +31-643-502-787.
FAX: +31-847-290-539.
E-mail:cpinans@aol.
nl

WINNING INFORMATIONS
Ref Number:Nl50286
lucky Numbers:
07,12,24,36,45
Batch Number:EU-175508
Ticket Number:360208

Please
forward the above stated winning information to your Claim
Agent and do
include the following,

Your Name:
Telephone Number:

Congratulations!!!

Yours Sincerely,
Mrs. Lucy Berg.
Public Relation
Officer.

===

The only spam trigger found by postgresql.org was:

There are numerous triggers in the body of the email that should
have boosted the score up. Personally, I'd also like to see
SUBJ_ALL_CAPS raised to 3 or 4.

So, to reiterate, I'd like to request the following:

1) Spam filtering is run on all messages
2) The default to reject is lowered to at least 4
3) The values get raised significantly for some tests
4) More SA tests get added (are we at least cronning sa-update?)
5) If 3 and 4 are too much trouble to maintain, outsource the
filtering to someone who does have the time, or who specializes
in it (economies of scale)

I did #5 myself years ago, after getting tired of updating SA rules,
messing with DNS lookups, blacklists, etc. and now just let
maillaunder.com handle it all.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200807171149

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
>>> I can change the quarantining to be >4 if ppl want, which should
>>> greatly reduce the # of messages going through ...
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea to me.
>
> 'k, I'll put it down to 4 tonight, and increase the frequency I check for
> false-positives accordingly, to make sure that I don't get a big spike as
> a result ...

Hmm, I think keeping it at 5 is a good idea, seeing how 2 of those were
being substracted by the AWL and you've just cleared that.

Maybe what we need is a way to remove a particular domain from the AWL
instead?

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Sounds like a good idea to me.
>>
>> 'k, I'll put it down to 4 tonight, and increase the frequency I check for
>> false-positives accordingly, to make sure that I don't get a big spike as
>> a result ...
>
> Hmm, I think keeping it at 5 is a good idea, seeing how 2 of those were
> being substracted by the AWL and you've just cleared that.
>
> Maybe what we need is a way to remove a particular domain from the AWL
> instead?

Actually, I was thinking of disabling the AWL feature altogether ... it
might make a few extra false-positives to need to release, but I doubt it
will make a huge difference ...

Maybe disable AWL and leave score threshold at 5 ... ?  I can adjust
after, based on # of false positives ... if false positives don't go up,
then without AWL causes no adverse problems ... then I can look at
adjusting score threshold down while watching for false-positives ...

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>> Hmm, I think keeping it at 5 is a good idea, seeing how 2 of those were
>> being substracted by the AWL and you've just cleared that.
>>
>> Maybe what we need is a way to remove a particular domain from the AWL
>> instead?
>
> Actually, I was thinking of disabling the AWL feature altogether ... it
> might make a few extra false-positives to need to release, but I doubt it
> will make a huge difference ...

I think that's a bad idea because it'll delay all email.

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>>> Hmm, I think keeping it at 5 is a good idea, seeing how 2 of those were
>>> being substracted by the AWL and you've just cleared that.
>>>
>>> Maybe what we need is a way to remove a particular domain from the AWL
>>> instead?
>>
>> Actually, I was thinking of disabling the AWL feature altogether ... it
>> might make a few extra false-positives to need to release, but I doubt it
>> will make a huge difference ...
>
> I think that's a bad idea because it'll delay all email.

Wait, i think we are talking about two different things here ... I'm not
talking about Greylisting AWL, I'm talking abotu the AWL that modifies the
spamscore ... totally different databases ... I'm not touching
GreyListing, only spamscore ...

Re: Spam filtering on the mailing lists

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Actually, I was thinking of disabling the AWL feature altogether ... it
>>> might make a few extra false-positives to need to release, but I doubt it
>>> will make a huge difference ...
>>
>> I think that's a bad idea because it'll delay all email.
>
> Wait, i think we are talking about two different things here ... I'm not
> talking about Greylisting AWL, I'm talking abotu the AWL that modifies
> the spamscore ... totally different databases ... I'm not touching
> GreyListing, only spamscore ...

Ah, sorry for the noise then -- I see no problem with that.

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

- --On Thursday, July 17, 2008 15:54:41 +0000 Greg Sabino Mullane
<greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

> I grabbed a few random messages from the bugs list last night. Most
> interesting was that some had no X-Spam-Status headers at all - does this
> mean they slipped through the spam filtering entirely? Here's one of them:
>
> ===
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:40:43 GMT
> To: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
> Subject: BUG #4310: PkMERMInZQ
> From: "make money on line" <makemoney@money2009.com>

The X-Virus-Scanned indicates it went through Amavis/Maia, not sure why it
would have bypassed the spam checker though ... let me check into it to make
sure, as I thought both "outbound" and "inbound" was scanned, but maybe just
for virus, with the expectation that if you are using a spam scanner on
incoming, you aren't sending *out* spam ...

- --
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)