Обсуждение: Bad news approval

Bad news approval

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW Team,

DreamCoder for PostgreSQL version 2 beta released
This news item should not have been approved; it's a beta release of a
commercial product.  Our policy says we only approve major releases and
beginning of PG support for commercial products, and not more often than
once every 6 months.

Just trying to fine-tune this by getting everyone on the same approval
policy.

--Josh

Re: Bad news approval

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Sunday 15 March 2009 17:21:29 Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW Team,
>
> DreamCoder for PostgreSQL version 2 beta released
>
> This news item should not have been approved; it's a beta release of a
> commercial product.  Our policy says we only approve major releases and
> beginning of PG support for commercial products, and not more often than
> once every 6 months.
>
> Just trying to fine-tune this by getting everyone on the same approval
> policy.

That was my bad. For some reason I thought we had an exception for products
that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I guess that
isn't the case?

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: Bad news approval

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 00:29 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Sunday 15 March 2009 17:21:29 Josh Berkus wrote:
> > WWW Team,
> >
> > DreamCoder for PostgreSQL version 2 beta released
> >
> > This news item should not have been approved; it's a beta release of a
> > commercial product.  Our policy says we only approve major releases and
> > beginning of PG support for commercial products, and not more often than
> > once every 6 months.
> >
> > Just trying to fine-tune this by getting everyone on the same approval
> > policy.
> >

> That was my bad. For some reason I thought we had an exception for products
> that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I guess that
> isn't the case?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Robert Treat
> Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net
> Consulting: http://www.omniti.com

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Bad news approval

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> That was my bad. For some reason I thought we had an exception for products
> that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I guess that
> isn't the case?

Yeah, but not betas.  Look at it this way; if we're only allowing them one
announcement per 6 months, then their final release will get no announcement.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL

Re: Bad news approval

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 17 March 2009 12:03:31 Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > That was my bad. For some reason I thought we had an exception for
> > products that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I
> > guess that isn't the case?
>
> Yeah, but not betas.  Look at it this way; if we're only allowing them one
> announcement per 6 months, then their final release will get no
> announcement.

Well, this assumes the final release is within 6 months of the beta
announcement, which is probably true, though GMail is still in beta. I guess
assuming a priori knowledge of the product release cycle should be done in
favor of increasing the beta pool to help ensure solid support upon release.
Thanks for the clarification.  :-)

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net
Consulting: http://www.omniti.com

Re: Bad news approval

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 12:03:31 Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Robert,
> >
> > > That was my bad. For some reason I thought we had an exception for
> > > products that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I
> > > guess that isn't the case?
> >
> > Yeah, but not betas.  Look at it this way; if we're only allowing them one
> > announcement per 6 months, then their final release will get no
> > announcement.
>
> Well, this assumes the final release is within 6 months of the beta
> announcement, which is probably true, though GMail is still in beta. I guess
> assuming a priori knowledge of the product release cycle should be done in
> favor of increasing the beta pool to help ensure solid support upon release.

Actually this makes a lot of sense.  Surely we'd like top-notch Postgres
support on proprietary products, right?  What about changing the policy
to admit one beta announcement and one final release, even if they are
closer than 6 months apart?