Обсуждение: Request for SVPUG mailing list

Request for SVPUG mailing list

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW,

Administrator is dan.bikle@gmail.com.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> WWW,

> Administrator is dan.bikle@gmail.com.

sv being?

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:

Huh, sv ... is that Swedish?

I thought the plan was that PUGs should be named after airport codes.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Request for SVPUG mailing list

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Done on the mail server ...

----

Re: Request for SVPUG mailing list

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

> I thought the plan was that PUGs should be named after airport codes.

Sorry, "Silcon Valley".  That's the preferred name of the group.  If
"SVPUG" isn't OK, then maybe  "SiliconPUG" or "SiValleyPUG".  Ideas, Dan?

The San Jose airport code is "SJC", but San Jose is only a small part of
Silicon Valley, and the group's meeting space isn't in San Jose, so
using SJC would confuse people.

Amusingly, the airport code for San Mateo is "SQL".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 7/21/09 1:29 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Done on the mail server ...

Marc, you should probably read the feedback on pgsql-www list before
creating lists.  People objected.

Dan, please don't use that list until we straighten out the name.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
All I saw was someone asking what sv was, and Tom asking about using
airport codes ... the first was a question, the second isn't something
we've done on any other lists, is it  and, I think it wouldn't be that
intuitive, would it?

torontopug => yyzpug?

----

Re: Request for SVPUG mailing list

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Huh, sv ... is that Swedish?
>
> I thought the plan was that PUGs should be named after airport codes.

I don't think that's the plan, airports are often convenient and well
known but not always. We have ukpug for example (well we would if we
got around do doing anything to promote it:) The names are pretty much
whatever makes sense for the area in question. Some areas have pugs
for whole countries, other areas have them per state or per city.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

Greg Stark
Дата:
Sorry to write twice, but i'm actually kind of curious about this.
Don't we already have an sfpug? Is San Jose and the rest of silicon
valley not the same group of people as San Francisco?

If it is it seems pretty clear "sv" isn't instantly recognizable. I
would suggest valleypug :) But really I think I would suggest you
speak to the sfpug people about having extra locations for sfpug
events.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 00:05 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> Sorry to write twice, but i'm actually kind of curious about this.
> Don't we already have an sfpug? Is San Jose and the rest of silicon
> valley not the same group of people as San Francisco?

They are pretty far apart actually and consider the population density.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Dan Bikle
Дата:
My opinion is that sfpug is good enough for the entire bay area.  We
dont need sjcpug or svpug.

On 7/21/09, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> Sorry to write twice, but i'm actually kind of curious about this.
> Don't we already have an sfpug? Is San Jose and the rest of silicon
> valley not the same group of people as San Francisco?
>
> If it is it seems pretty clear "sv" isn't instantly recognizable. I
> would suggest valleypug :) But really I think I would suggest you
> speak to the sfpug people about having extra locations for sfpug
> events.
>
> --
> greg
> http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

Дата:
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I thought the plan was that PUGs should be named after airport codes.

> I don't think that's the plan, airports are often convenient and well
> known but not always. We have ukpug for example (well we would if we
> got around do doing anything to promote it:) The names are pretty much
> whatever makes sense for the area in question. Some areas have pugs
> for whole countries, other areas have them per state or per city.

Well, there are certainly likely to be cases where there's no suitable
airport code, but the main point of my comment was that SV isn't
particularly unique or instantly recognizable.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Request for SVPUG mailing list

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Greg Stark<gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>>
>> Huh, sv ... is that Swedish?
>>
>> I thought the plan was that PUGs should be named after airport codes.
>
> I don't think that's the plan, airports are often convenient and well
> known but not always. We have ukpug for example (well we would if we
> got around do doing anything to promote it:)

lhrpug? Mind you, a number of us are clustered around Oxford, so maybe oxfpug?

:-)

--
Dave Page

Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 7/21/09 4:08 PM, Dan Bikle wrote:
> My opinion is that sfpug is good enough for the entire bay area.  We
> dont need sjcpug or svpug.

Ok, we'll just use the SFPUG list for now.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Greg Stark
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 7/21/09 4:08 PM, Dan Bikle wrote:
>>
>> My opinion is that sfpug is good enough for the entire bay area.  We
>> dont need sjcpug or svpug.
>
> Ok, we'll just use the SFPUG list for now.

Aw, I was thinking of all the valspeak jokes we could make if you went
with valleypug :)

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 16:04 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 7/21/09 4:08 PM, Dan Bikle wrote:
> > My opinion is that sfpug is good enough for the entire bay area.  We
> > dont need sjcpug or svpug.
>
> Ok, we'll just use the SFPUG list for now.

Wait, this is silly. The bay is huge. The idea that SF and SJ is the
same is ridiculous. The "city" of San Francisco has 800k people. The
"city" of San Jose has 900k people.

They are 49 miles apart and based on average traffic, what 55 minutes?

Nobody on this list would think twice about a Portland and Salem PUG and
they only 26 miles a part.

Why is this an issue in the least? It makes perfect sense to have two
separate groups.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Greg Stark
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Joshua D. Drake<jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> They are 49 miles apart and based on average traffic, what 55 minutes?
>
> Nobody on this list would think twice about a Portland and Salem PUG and
> they only 26 miles a part.
>
> Why is this an issue in the least? It makes perfect sense to have two
> separate groups.

I think it comes down to the people in those areas and what they want.
I don't understand why you would want a Salem Pug, surely anyone 20
minutes away from Portland would want to know about Portland events --
they probably live closer to those than some people in Portland! The
more you break up the groups the fewer people you reach with each
event.

If you expect too many people signing up for sfpug now or too many
events annoying people then by all means break up the lists so people
can subscribe to just the ones in their immediate area.

I've never been to any of these areas and have no idea how separate
they are or what's best. I was curious and asked.

I think the only real "issue" was that "sv" was considered a poor
choice. It's neither self-explanatory nor likely to be unique
globally. Notably people in Sweden might find it confusing.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 00:37 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Joshua D. Drake<jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > They are 49 miles apart and based on average traffic, what 55 minutes?
> >
> > Nobody on this list would think twice about a Portland and Salem PUG and
> > they only 26 miles a part.
> >
> > Why is this an issue in the least? It makes perfect sense to have two
> > separate groups.
>

> I think it comes down to the people in those areas and what they want.
> I don't understand why you would want a Salem Pug, surely anyone 20
> minutes away from Portland would want to know about Portland events --

Shrug, if I lived in Salem, I wouldn't drive to Portland to go to a PUG.
Heck, I am only 60 miles from PDXPUG and I don't go.

> they probably live closer to those than some people in Portland!

Not really. Portland is actually quite small.

>  The
> more you break up the groups the fewer people you reach with each
> event.

Well if you are going to have an "Oregon" event or something sure but
for just a PUG?

> I think the only real "issue" was that "sv" was considered a poor
> choice. It's neither self-explanatory nor likely to be unique
> globally. Notably people in Sweden might find it confusing.

I do agree that sv was bad. It is probably better to be called
sanjose-pug.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake escribió:
> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 16:04 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > On 7/21/09 4:08 PM, Dan Bikle wrote:
> > > My opinion is that sfpug is good enough for the entire bay area.  We
> > > dont need sjcpug or svpug.
> >
> > Ok, we'll just use the SFPUG list for now.
>
> Wait, this is silly. The bay is huge. The idea that SF and SJ is the
> same is ridiculous. The "city" of San Francisco has 800k people. The
> "city" of San Jose has 900k people.

I think the point is just about what mailing list they will use.  Have
you considered what the lefthand menu in archives.pg.org would look like
if every single town in the US had its own PUG mailing list?  It's quite
long already: http://archives.postgresql.org/diapug/

I think it would be more than enough if there were a single list for
each state.  There would still be a lot of lists; and each of them would
only carry traffic for your own city (your own PUG) and a couple of
others you would not be interested in, at the most.

How is that a problem?  Is there a sense of lost identity being fought?
Is there an identity, which is a precondition for identity being lost in
the first place?

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 11:58 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I think the point is just about what mailing list they will use.

Right. Give them their own list and the problem goes away.

>   Have
> you considered what the lefthand menu in archives.pg.org would look like
> if every single town in the US had its own PUG mailing list?  It's quite
> long already: http://archives.postgresql.org/diapug/

We do not have to put every user group on the left hand menu. I would
think it would be smarter to have a region grouping (for the states)
anyway. That however is for a different thread.

> I think it would be more than enough if there were a single list for
> each state.  There would still be a lot of lists; and each of them would
> only carry traffic for your own city (your own PUG) and a couple of
> others you would not be interested in, at the most.

I do not agree.

> How is that a problem?  Is there a sense of lost identity being fought?
> Is there an identity, which is a precondition for identity being lost in
> the first place?

This isn't a philosophical debate. If a user group wants a mailing list
we should provide it.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Aw, I was thinking of all the valspeak jokes we could make if you went
> with valleypug :)

Heh, wrong valley.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier escribió:

> All I saw was someone asking what sv was, and Tom asking about using
> airport codes ... the first was a question, the second isn't something
> we've done on any other lists, is it  and, I think it wouldn't be that
> intuitive, would it?

Marc, please delete the bogus list.  It is not wanted.