Обсуждение: Feature Matrix + 8.5a3

Feature Matrix + 8.5a3

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
I've just noticed the addition of 8.5a3 to the feature matrix on the
live site.  I'm wondering if we should be displaying this at all,
especially since there will never actually be a final 8.5, or an 8.5a4
for that matter.

Also, I think it's a bit dubious including "contrib/hstore
improvements" as feature in its own right.  Surely that's merely an
enhancement of an existing feature?  I thought the purpose of the
feature matrix was to give a fairly high level list of features and
show which releases they are available in, not enhancements to single
features?  Going down this path means the feature matrix has the
potential to grow out of control, effectively becoming more like a
change log... or I'm being too pedantic.

Thom

Re: Feature Matrix + 8.5a3

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Thom Brown wrote:
> I've just noticed the addition of 8.5a3 to the feature matrix on the
> live site.  I'm wondering if we should be displaying this at all,
> especially since there will never actually be a final 8.5, or an 8.5a4
> for that matter.

heh we used to not track in-development versions but I received a fair
amount of feedback that people would like to get this kind of "dashboard
overview" also for the alpha's(which are a new concept as well)

> Also, I think it's a bit dubious including "contrib/hstore
> improvements" as feature in its own right.  Surely that's merely an
> enhancement of an existing feature?  I thought the purpose of the
> feature matrix was to give a fairly high level list of features and
> show which releases they are available in, not enhancements to single
> features?  Going down this path means the feature matrix has the
> potential to grow out of control, effectively becoming more like a
> change log... or I'm being too pedantic.

agreed - it's always a tradeoff, right now the FM is pretty much at it's
limit both in terms of features and also in the sheer number of
releases. I have some hopes that with the new website infrastructure we
will be able to make it a bit more dynamic (as in providing a way to
only show certain versions and stuff like that)
Desciding on adding that feature but not another one is always kind of
hard, though I agree that the one you highlighted might be a candidate
for removal.

Stefan