Обсуждение: Using nicknames on planet?

Using nicknames on planet?

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
Hi,
I asked planet team to change "Hubert Lubaczewski" into "depesz" on
planet.postgresql.org, but was told that current policy doesn't allow
it, but it can be discussed. So I'd like to discuss possibility to
change the policy.

One of the most important reasons is that I much prefer using "depesz"
when it comes to anything technical. This makes the "brand" more
recognizable - for example - google has 87k pages for "depesz", and only
6.4k for "hubert lubaczewski".

Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full names - I
would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames on planet - at the
very least to allow newcomers easily associate person from irc with
author on planet.

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Feb 24, 2010, at 8:55 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:

> Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full names - I
> would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames on planet - at the
> very least to allow newcomers easily associate person from irc with
> author on planet.

+1

David

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2010, at 8:55 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
>
> > Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full names - I
> > would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames on planet - at the
> > very least to allow newcomers easily associate person from irc with
> > author on planet.
>
> +1

Yea, I think people can be called whatever they like.  We just had a
similar discussion about a name attributed to a commit.

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:55 +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> I asked planet team to change "Hubert Lubaczewski" into "depesz" on
> planet.postgresql.org, but was told that current policy doesn't allow
> it, but it can be discussed. So I'd like to discuss possibility to
> change the policy.

Given that planet.postgresql.org is being synced to www.postgresql.org,
I am (still) against adding nicknames instead of real names.

If we allow nicknames, then we will need to figure out a policy of what
nicknames should be used or not, to prevent people using abusing
nicknames.

> Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full names - I
> would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames on planet - at
> the very least to allow newcomers easily associate person from irc
> with author on planet.

I don't care about IRC, as long as logs are not synced to our main
website. IRC and Planet are not the same thing.

(and .../me uses realname in IRC.)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Devrim G�ND�Z wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:55 +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > I asked planet team to change "Hubert Lubaczewski" into "depesz" on
> > planet.postgresql.org, but was told that current policy doesn't allow
> > it, but it can be discussed. So I'd like to discuss possibility to
> > change the policy.
>
> Given that planet.postgresql.org is being synced to www.postgresql.org,
> I am (still) against adding nicknames instead of real names.
>
> If we allow nicknames, then we will need to figure out a policy of what
> nicknames should be used or not, to prevent people using abusing
> nicknames.

True, but real names could sound abusing too.  Can't we just reject
silly user names at our discretion.  I doubt it would ever happen, at
least in our group.

> > Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full names - I
> > would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames on planet - at
> > the very least to allow newcomers easily associate person from irc
> > with author on planet.
>
> I don't care about IRC, as long as logs are not synced to our main
> website. IRC and Planet are not the same thing.
>
> (and .../me uses realname in IRC.)

As do I, and frankly can't figure out the purpose of unrecognizable
nicknames, but then again, I don't understand key signing parties
either.

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2010/2/24 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> As do I, and frankly can't figure out the purpose of unrecognizable
> nicknames,

Some people have far more common names than you guys, and a nickname
is more memorable than dpage3729.

> but then again, I don't understand key signing parties
> either.

Yeah, but everyone knows who you are. The rest of us need validation
and verification :-p

--
Dave Page
PG East Conference: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do

Dave Page wrote:
> > but then again, I don't understand key signing parties
> > either.

I have to admit it always makes me think of a secret decoder ring:
http://s1.hubimg.com/u/196436_f260.jpg

> Yeah, but everyone knows who you are. The rest of us need validation
> and verification :-p

The larger group are people who want to pretend they don't know me, and
there is no easy fix for that.  ;-)

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Feb 24, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> (and .../me uses realname in IRC.)
>
> As do I, and frankly can't figure out the purpose of unrecognizable
> nicknames, but then again, I don't understand key signing parties
> either.

Free beer?

David

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:34 +0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> -1 for allowing nicknames. This isn't IRC, and "Hubert Lubaczewski"
> has the same first Google hit as "depesz" (and is a very unique name)
>
> > I don't understand key signing parties either.
>
> Bruce, we really need to have lunch soon. :)

+1 on nicknames.

.Org is not a corporation, its a community. In this community I am known
as three things:

JD, Linuxpoet, Jackass

Usually I only hear the first two but still. Let's lighten up people. If
Hubert wants to be Depesz let him.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 2/24/10 9:09 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> On Feb 24, 2010, at 8:55 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
>>
>>> Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full names - I
>>> would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames on planet - at the
>>> very least to allow newcomers easily associate person from irc with
>>> author on planet.
>> +1
>
> Yea, I think people can be called whatever they like.  We just had a
> similar discussion about a name attributed to a commit.
> ... although we're keeping a record of the real name somewhere, no?

--Josh Berkus

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 2/24/10 9:09 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > David E. Wheeler wrote:

> >> +1
> >
> > Yea, I think people can be called whatever they like.  We just had a
> > similar discussion about a name attributed to a commit.
> >
>  ... although we're keeping a record of the real name somewhere, no?

For commits, no.  We have their email addresses but do not require a
full name.  If we did, the name could easily be forged anyway.

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Greg Smith
Dave Page wrote:
> Some people have far more common names than you guys, and a nickname
> is more memorable than dpage3729.

When I sign up for sites that use some variation on your first and last
name to assign usernames, I regularly discover the first one it suggests
is available for me has a three digit number at the end.  I have a
standard four-digit number I use in these cases, and I've even seen a
collision on that before.

I used to live in a small town with only about 30K residents, and once
when I forgot my ID card I discovered that just my gym had 3 Greg Smiths
listed as members when they tried to confirm my membership by name.

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

Дата:
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> I used to live in a small town with only about 30K residents, and once
> when I forgot my ID card I discovered that just my gym had 3 Greg Smiths
> listed as members when they tried to confirm my membership by name.

Yeah, there are four or five Tom Lanes in the Pittsburgh phonebook,
but at least I'm not a Smith ;-)

I think we should have a policy that prevents using misleading or
unknown nicks on planet, but in this case depesz is arguably better
known by that name than as his "real" name.  I cannot see any reason
not to let his planet blog be signed that way.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
Hi!

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> I used to live in a small town with only about 30K residents, and once
>> when I forgot my ID card I discovered that just my gym had 3 Greg Smiths
>> listed as members when they tried to confirm my membership by name.
>
> Yeah, there are four or five Tom Lanes in the Pittsburgh phonebook,
> but at least I'm not a Smith ;-)
>
> I think we should have a policy that prevents using misleading or
> unknown nicks on planet, but in this case depesz is arguably better
> known by that name than as his "real" name.  I cannot see any reason
> not to let his planet blog be signed that way.

I encourage people to use their real names, as it establishes
credibility (you stand behind your posts with your reputation!) and
helps expand the community around Postgres. The goal of Planet isn't
branding - it's about making knowledge about Postgres more easily
accessible to developers and users of Postgres (and the rest of the
software world!), not necessarily to build business associates or
strengthen ties in a secret club.

We're an international group, but I like to think of us as software
neighbors. How you would introduce yourself to your neighbors? Most of
us would use our real names.

That said, there are certainly people who are better known by
nicknames than by real name.

I support providing the ability for people to have a nickname
displayed, but strongly recommend people still reference their real
names.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:55 +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:

> One of the most important reasons is that I much prefer using "depesz"
> when it comes to anything technical. This makes the "brand" more
> recognizable - for example - google has 87k pages for "depesz", and
> only
> 6.4k for "hubert lubaczewski".

This reminded me something that happened around 2007: I was asked for a
point of contact at Poland. I told them to find Depesz, but it returned
null result for them. Then I remembered your name (and IIRC they worked
with you) :)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> We're an international group, but I like to think of us as software
> neighbors. How you would introduce yourself to your neighbors? Most of
> us would use our real names.
>
> That said, there are certainly people who are better known by
> nicknames than by real name.
>
> I support providing the ability for people to have a nickname
> displayed, but strongly recommend people still reference their real
> names.

On another note, some blog pages make it very hard to identify the
name of the person who created the blog --- not sure why someone would
want that.

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 19:10 +0000, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Hi!

> We're an international group, but I like to think of us as software
> neighbors. How you would introduce yourself to your neighbors? Most of
> us would use our real names.

I introduce myself as jd AND linuxpoet in every talk I give. Everyone in
this community knows me as either jd or linuxpoet. I think you would be
hard pressed to find someone that "knows me" as Joshua D. Drake, except
that is how I sign my email.

> That said, there are certainly people who are better known by
> nicknames than by real name.
>
> I support providing the ability for people to have a nickname
> displayed, but strongly recommend people still reference their real
> names.

+1, Let people identify themselves how they want to identify themselves.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>

>>> If we allow nicknames, then we will need to figure out a policy of what
>>> nicknames should be used or not, to prevent people using abusing
>>> nicknames.
>> True, but real names could sound abusing too.
>
> Huh?
>
> -1 for allowing nicknames. This isn't IRC, and "Hubert Lubaczewski"
> has the same first Google hit as "depesz" (and is a very unique name)

well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their profile
and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or "Stefan
Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?

Stefan

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2010/2/24 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 19:10 +0000, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>> Hi!
>
>> We're an international group, but I like to think of us as software
>> neighbors. How you would introduce yourself to your neighbors? Most of
>> us would use our real names.
>
> I introduce myself as jd AND linuxpoet in every talk I give. Everyone in
> this community knows me as either jd or linuxpoet. I think you would be
> hard pressed to find someone that "knows me" as Joshua D. Drake, except
> that is how I sign my email.

Yes, the insiders do.

Want to guess if the majority of our planet readers are insiders or
not? (hint: i wish we had that many insiders)

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2010/2/24 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

>>> True, but real names could sound abusing too.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> -1 for allowing nicknames. This isn't IRC, and "Hubert Lubaczewski" has the same first Google hit as "depesz" (and
isa very unique name)

> well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski
(depesz)"or "Stefan Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?

I'll +1 this version (though I think Hubert usually says "Hubert
'depesz' Lubaczewski". But I'm happy to leave the exact spelling
entirely up to the author).

That will at least convey the most amount of information...

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 20:43 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their
> profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or "Stefan
> Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?

+100 on this, as long as the name is written first.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 21:55 +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 20:43 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their
> > profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or "Stefan
> > Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?
>
> +100 on this, as long as the name is written first.

Yeah I can get behind this too.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Feb 24, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their
>>> profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or "Stefan
>>> Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?
>>
>> +100 on this, as long as the name is written first.
>
> Yeah I can get behind this too.

Compromise++

David

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:34 +0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> -1 for allowing nicknames. This isn't IRC, and "Hubert Lubaczewski"
> has the same first Google hit as "depesz" (and is a very unique name)
>
> > I don't understand key signing parties either.
>
> Bruce, we really need to have lunch soon. :)

+1 on nicknames.

.Org is not a corporation, its a community. In this community I am known
as three things:

JD, Linuxpoet, Jackass

Usually I only hear the first two but still. Let's lighten up people. If
Hubert wants to be Depesz let him.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19:47PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Devrim G�ND�Z wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:55 +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > > I asked planet team to change "Hubert Lubaczewski" into "depesz" on
> > > planet.postgresql.org, but was told that current policy doesn't allow
> > > it, but it can be discussed. So I'd like to discuss possibility to
> > > change the policy.
> >
> > Given that planet.postgresql.org is being synced to www.postgresql.org,
> > I am (still) against adding nicknames instead of real names.
> >
> > If we allow nicknames, then we will need to figure out a policy of what
> > nicknames should be used or not, to prevent people using abusing
> > nicknames.
>
> True, but real names could sound abusing too.  Can't we just reject
> silly user names at our discretion.  I doubt it would ever happen, at
> least in our group.

I don't see any point in allowing nicknames at all.

> > > Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full
> > > names - I would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames
> > > on planet - at the very least to allow newcomers easily
> > > associate person from irc with author on planet.
> >
> > I don't care about IRC, as long as logs are not synced to our main
> > website. IRC and Planet are not the same thing.
> >
> > (and .../me uses realname in IRC.)
>
> As do I, and frankly can't figure out the purpose of unrecognizable
> nicknames, but then again, I don't understand key signing parties
> either.

My understanding of them comes under the heading of security theater,
in that they protect against a pretty uncommon threat and the step
taken to mitigate this threat is about on the level of seizing water
bottles in airports.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:02:21PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 21:55 +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 20:43 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > > well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their
> > > profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or "Stefan
> > > Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?
> >
> > +100 on this, as long as the name is written first.
>
> Yeah I can get behind this too.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

For PostgreSQL Weekly News, I use First (nick) Last.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 19:10 +0000, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Hi!

> We're an international group, but I like to think of us as software
> neighbors. How you would introduce yourself to your neighbors? Most of
> us would use our real names.

I introduce myself as jd AND linuxpoet in every talk I give. Everyone in
this community knows me as either jd or linuxpoet. I think you would be
hard pressed to find someone that "knows me" as Joshua D. Drake, except
that is how I sign my email.

> That said, there are certainly people who are better known by
> nicknames than by real name.
>
> I support providing the ability for people to have a nickname
> displayed, but strongly recommend people still reference their real
> names.

+1, Let people identify themselves how they want to identify themselves.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 21:55 +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 20:43 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their
> > profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or "Stefan
> > Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?
>
> +100 on this, as long as the name is written first.

Yeah I can get behind this too.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:47:56 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> 2010/2/24 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
> >
> > well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their
> > profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or
> > "Stefan Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?
>
> I'll +1 this version (though I think Hubert usually says "Hubert
> 'depesz' Lubaczewski". But I'm happy to leave the exact spelling
> entirely up to the author).

+1 for this, this was in my mind when i spotted this thread, but
Stefan/Mastermind already posted this idea.

Personally i mostly use this combination. It's my "From" in my emails
and i don't hide behind "ads" (which would be really easy).

Bye

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:23, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:47:56 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> 2010/2/24 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
>> >
>> > well - why no allow people to optionally add a nickname to their
>> > profile and display lit like "Hubert Lubaczewski (depesz)" or
>> > "Stefan Kaltenbrunner (mastermind)" or similiar?
>>
>> I'll +1 this version (though I think Hubert usually says "Hubert
>> 'depesz' Lubaczewski". But I'm happy to leave the exact spelling
>> entirely up to the author).
>
> +1 for this, this was in my mind when i spotted this thread, but
> Stefan/Mastermind already posted this idea.
>
> Personally i mostly use this combination. It's my "From" in my emails
> and i don't hide behind "ads" (which would be really easy).

From what I can tell we've basically reached a consensus on the
compromise that we should allwo the name+nickname combination, but not
nicknames alone. I'll add this to the policy, since the previous
policy wasn't actually listed there :-)

Re: Using nicknames on planet?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"