Обсуждение: Adjusted the hackers mailing list

Adjusted the hackers mailing list

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Adjusted the hackers mailing list

Дата:
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> You may have noticed some old emails just showing up
> on the hackers list. They were held because their
> "header lines were too long." I've just changed the limits
> on the hackers list as follows:

> max_header_line_length from 1024 to 2048
> max_mime_header_length from 1024 to 2048

> The trapped messages were at lengths of 1030 or so.

Actually, long threads tend to run into that restriction on all the
lists --- it's the References: lines that get long.  If we're going to
increase the limit (which I agree with) please do it across the board
not just for -hackers.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Adjusted the hackers mailing list

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
>> You may have noticed some old emails just showing up
>> on the hackers list. They were held because their
>> "header lines were too long." I've just changed the limits
>> on the hackers list as follows:
>
>> max_header_line_length from 1024 to 2048
>> max_mime_header_length from 1024 to 2048
>
>> The trapped messages were at lengths of 1030 or so.
>
> Actually, long threads tend to run into that restriction on all the
> lists --- it's the References: lines that get long.  If we're going to
> increase the limit (which I agree with) please do it across the board
> not just for -hackers.

I think we shouldn't raise it to 10240 rather than just 2048. I mean,
what are we afraid of with long headers, that the mail servers will
run out of memory on a 1k header?

--
greg

"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Adjusted the hackers mailing list

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> I'm sure there's a relevant RFC somewhere about the lengths, but it's
> kind of a moot point. In all my years of moderating (and I've been at
> this longer than anyone except Marc at this point, I think), I've
> never seen a header long enough to warrant 10240.

That's precisely my point. If we raise it to that we'll probably never
have to worry about it again. If you raise it to some smaller value
just large enough for the current violators it'll come up again
sometime and we won't have accomplished much.

I'm on a hundreds of mailing lists, this is the only place where I've
seen where people keep bumping into all these arcane limits. Either
other mail server software don't impose these limits or they're
generally set high enough that you never bump into them. We seem to
have lots of these limits set just barely high enough to let 99% of
our mail go through but regularly annoy us with unnecessary problems.

--
greg

Greg Stark
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>> I'm sure there's a relevant RFC somewhere about the lengths, but it's
>> kind of a moot point. In all my years of moderating (and I've been at
>> this longer than anyone except Marc at this point, I think), I've
>> never seen a header long enough to warrant 10240.
>
> That's precisely my point. If we raise it to that we'll probably never
> have to worry about it again. If you raise it to some smaller value
> just large enough for the current violators it'll come up again
> sometime and we won't have accomplished much.
>
> I'm on a hundreds of mailing lists, this is the only place where I've
> seen where people keep bumping into all these arcane limits.

So coincidentally I just saw this somewhere else for the first time.
Their limit was 32k and they're raising it to 64k due to an entirely
legitimate email which exceeded the 32k limit.

--
greg

"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата: