Обсуждение: missing attachment in mails

missing attachment in mails

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Hello dear WWW team,

I've sent some patches by mail to -hackers yesterday and I don't find the
attachments in the archives. Maybe a bug ?
See :
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281455.49280.cedric@2ndquadrant.com
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281515.55378.cedric@2ndquadrant.com
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281410.32535.cedric@2ndquadrant.com
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281507.25645.cedric@2ndquadrant.com

(BTW I also have trouble adding new item in commitfest, sometime it works,
sometime it fails)
--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Cédric Villemain wrote:
> Hello dear WWW team,
>
> I've sent some patches by mail to -hackers yesterday and I don't find the
> attachments in the archives. Maybe a bug ?
> See :
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281455.49280.cedric@2ndquadrant.com
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281515.55378.cedric@2ndquadrant.com
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281410.32535.cedric@2ndquadrant.com
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281507.25645.cedric@2ndquadrant.com

The disposition of the parts in your messages is pretty weird, and it
seems to come from the PGP signature thingies.  I would guess that
having the attachments be multiple parts inside one toplevel part is
confusing the parser.

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le mercredi 29 mai 2013 19:01:55, Alvaro Herrera a écrit :
> Cédric Villemain wrote:
> > Hello dear WWW team,
> >
> > I've sent some patches by mail to -hackers yesterday and I don't find the
> > attachments in the archives. Maybe a bug ?
> > See :
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281455.49280.cedric@2ndquadran
> > t.com
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281515.55378.cedric@2ndquadra
> > nt.com
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281410.32535.cedric@2ndquadra
> > nt.com
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281507.25645.cedric@2ndquadra
> > nt.com
>
> The disposition of the parts in your messages is pretty weird, and it
> seems to come from the PGP signature thingies.  I would guess that
> having the attachments be multiple parts inside one toplevel part is
> confusing the parser.

I've search another example and found one from Stephen Frost (Sign +
attachment):

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130413030619.GN4361@tamriel.snowman.net

it contains an attachment not visible in the archive.

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Cédric Villemain (cedric@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> I've search another example and found one from Stephen Frost (Sign +
> attachment):
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130413030619.GN4361@tamriel.snowman.net
>
> it contains an attachment not visible in the archive.

Huh, neat.  Yeah, this is the way mutt handles attachments, etc, and is
pretty common (at least, among open source folks :).  We should probably
look into figuring out how to support it..
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le mercredi 29 mai 2013 19:36:46, Stephen Frost a écrit :
> * Cédric Villemain (cedric@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > I've search another example and found one from Stephen Frost (Sign +
> > attachment):
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130413030619.GN4361@tamriel.snowma
> > n.net
> >
> > it contains an attachment not visible in the archive.
>
> Huh, neat.  Yeah, this is the way mutt handles attachments, etc, and is
> pretty common (at least, among open source folks :).  We should probably
> look into figuring out how to support it..

I had no time to have a look at that.
CF is on its way but the mails linked from CF items don't contain
attachment...

How can I help fixing that ?
--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 mai 2013 19:36:46, Stephen Frost a écrit :
>> * Cédric Villemain (cedric@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>> > I've search another example and found one from Stephen Frost (Sign +
>> > attachment):
>> >
>> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130413030619.GN4361@tamriel.snowma
>> > n.net
>> >
>> > it contains an attachment not visible in the archive.
>>
>> Huh, neat.  Yeah, this is the way mutt handles attachments, etc, and is
>> pretty common (at least, among open source folks :).  We should probably
>> look into figuring out how to support it..
>
> I had no time to have a look at that.
> CF is on its way but the mails linked from CF items don't contain
> attachment...
>
> How can I help fixing that ?

A good start would be to identify exactly when this happens. Not based
on which MUA is used, but based on which types of messages. The first
one on your list (the only one i have time to check right this moment
- boarding a flight) is a multipart/signed containing a
multipart/mixed for example - might it be that the problem lies in
nested multipart or so?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le lundi 17 juin 2013 15:56:44, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Cédric Villemain
>
> <cedric@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> Huh, neat.  Yeah, this is the way mutt handles attachments, etc, and is
> >> pretty common (at least, among open source folks :).  We should probably
> >> look into figuring out how to support it..
> >
> > I had no time to have a look at that.
> > CF is on its way but the mails linked from CF items don't contain
> > attachment...
> >
> > How can I help fixing that ?
>
> A good start would be to identify exactly when this happens. Not based
> on which MUA is used, but based on which types of messages. The first
> one on your list (the only one i have time to check right this moment
> - boarding a flight) is a multipart/signed containing a
> multipart/mixed for example - might it be that the problem lies in
> nested multipart or so?

Correct, issue was that recursion entered only multipart/mixed, I've added
multipart/signed. See patch 0001.
I've also attached a patch to correct a typo.
--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le lundi 17 juin 2013 23:30:16, Cédric Villemain a écrit :
> Le lundi 17 juin 2013 15:56:44, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Cédric Villemain
> >
> > <cedric@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > > I had no time to have a look at that.
> > > CF is on its way but the mails linked from CF items don't contain
> > > attachment...
> > >
> > > How can I help fixing that ?
> >
> > A good start would be to identify exactly when this happens. Not based
> > on which MUA is used, but based on which types of messages. The first
> > one on your list (the only one i have time to check right this moment
> > - boarding a flight) is a multipart/signed containing a
> > multipart/mixed for example - might it be that the problem lies in
> > nested multipart or so?
>
> Correct, issue was that recursion entered only multipart/mixed, I've added
> multipart/signed. See patch 0001.
> I've also attached a patch to correct a typo.

would you mind review this patch ?
--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Le lundi 17 juin 2013 23:30:16, Cédric Villemain a écrit :
>> Le lundi 17 juin 2013 15:56:44, Magnus Hagander a écrit :

>> > A good start would be to identify exactly when this happens. Not based
>> > on which MUA is used, but based on which types of messages. The first
>> > one on your list (the only one i have time to check right this moment
>> > - boarding a flight) is a multipart/signed containing a
>> > multipart/mixed for example - might it be that the problem lies in
>> > nested multipart or so?
>>
>> Correct, issue was that recursion entered only multipart/mixed, I've added
>> multipart/signed. See patch 0001.
>> I've also attached a patch to correct a typo.
>
> would you mind review this patch ?

Magnus is OOO at the moment, and will be for a couple more weeks or so.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: missing attachment in mails

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Le lundi 17 juin 2013 23:30:16, Cédric Villemain a écrit :
>> Le lundi 17 juin 2013 15:56:44, Magnus Hagander a écrit :

>> > A good start would be to identify exactly when this happens. Not based
>> > on which MUA is used, but based on which types of messages. The first
>> > one on your list (the only one i have time to check right this moment
>> > - boarding a flight) is a multipart/signed containing a
>> > multipart/mixed for example - might it be that the problem lies in
>> > nested multipart or so?
>>
>> Correct, issue was that recursion entered only multipart/mixed, I've added
>> multipart/signed. See patch 0001.
>> I've also attached a patch to correct a typo.
>
> would you mind review this patch ?

Both look good, applied, thanks!

I've reparsed the specific messages you mentioned in this thread, but
I haven't gone back and reparsed all the historic ones (because I
don't know of a good way to identify them without scanning
everything). All new messages should parse fine though.

Apologies for the delay.