Обсуждение: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

I just noticed the nifty "threadview" drop-down on each message in the
archives, which would really make my life a lot easier as CFM ... except
that it's unreadable for long threads.  Look here for example:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTAfWy_VY6PKdM_eg7snG9Z2+MAH+N85FW7AGDNgUmqsw@mail.gmail.com

The basic issue is that, on a long discussion thread, indenting pushes
the thread off the right side of the page.  What if we just removed the
indenting?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Jun 16, 2013, at 9:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I just noticed the nifty "threadview" drop-down on each message in the
> archives, which would really make my life a lot easier as CFM ... except
> that it's unreadable for long threads.  Look here for example:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTAfWy_VY6PKdM_eg7snG9Z2+MAH+N85FW7AGDNgUmqsw@mail.gmail.com
>
> The basic issue is that, on a long discussion thread, indenting pushes
> the thread off the right side of the page.  What if we just removed the
> indenting?

Probably would be better to set the CSS property "overflow-x" to "auto" as opposed to hidden - that way we can keep the
indentingto show the progression of the thread but we can still scroll and see the info.

Jonathan

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Jun 16, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2013, at 9:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I just noticed the nifty "threadview" drop-down on each message in the
>> archives, which would really make my life a lot easier as CFM ... except
>> that it's unreadable for long threads.  Look here for example:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTAfWy_VY6PKdM_eg7snG9Z2+MAH+N85FW7AGDNgUmqsw@mail.gmail.com
>>
>> The basic issue is that, on a long discussion thread, indenting pushes
>> the thread off the right side of the page.  What if we just removed the
>> indenting?
>
> Probably would be better to set the CSS property "overflow-x" to "auto" as opposed to hidden - that way we can keep
theindenting to show the progression of the thread but we can still scroll and see the info.

Here is a patch for exactly that.  This is in the pgarchives project

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just noticed the nifty "threadview" drop-down on each message in the
> archives, which would really make my life a lot easier as CFM ... except
> that it's unreadable for long threads.  Look here for example:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTAfWy_VY6PKdM_eg7snG9Z2+MAH+N85FW7AGDNgUmqsw@mail.gmail.com
>
> The basic issue is that, on a long discussion thread, indenting pushes
> the thread off the right side of the page.  What if we just removed the
> indenting?

Wouldn't that kill the main thing that control is there to show, which
is the message's placement in the thread? It would just look like a
random order then...

On principle, I like Jonathans suggestion better, but maybe I'm missig
something?

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>> On Jun 16, 2013, at 9:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I just noticed the nifty "threadview" drop-down on each message in the
>>> archives, which would really make my life a lot easier as CFM ... except
>>> that it's unreadable for long threads.  Look here for example:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTAfWy_VY6PKdM_eg7snG9Z2+MAH+N85FW7AGDNgUmqsw@mail.gmail.com
>>>
>>> The basic issue is that, on a long discussion thread, indenting pushes
>>> the thread off the right side of the page.  What if we just removed the
>>> indenting?
>>
>> Probably would be better to set the CSS property "overflow-x" to "auto" as opposed to hidden - that way we can keep
theindenting to show the progression of the thread but we can still scroll and see the info.

> Here is a patch for exactly that.  This is in the pgarchives project

Hmm. Can we find a way to do that that doesn't actually modify the
jquery-ui code? That's going to be a PITA for upgrades. Surely there
should be a way to override it form our own stylesheets?

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Jun 17, 2013, at 1:47 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Probably would be better to set the CSS property "overflow-x" to "auto" as opposed to hidden - that way we can keep
theindenting to show the progression of the thread but we can still scroll and see the info.

>> Here is a patch for exactly that.  This is in the pgarchives project
>
> Hmm. Can we find a way to do that that doesn't actually modify the
> jquery-ui code? That's going to be a PITA for upgrades. Surely there
> should be a way to override it form our own stylesheets?

Revision attached.

Вложения

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2013, at 1:47 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

keepthe indenting to show the progression of the thread but we can still scroll and see the info.

>>> Here is a patch for exactly that.  This is in the pgarchives project
>>
>> Hmm. Can we find a way to do that that doesn't actually modify the
>> jquery-ui code? That's going to be a PITA for upgrades. Surely there
>> should be a way to override it form our own stylesheets?
>
> Revision attached.

Applied, thanks.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Applied, thanks.

Uh.  What is this supposed to have done?

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Jun 17, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

Magnus Hagander wrote:

Applied, thanks.

Uh.  What is this supposed to have done?

Click on the message view list.  You can now horizontally scroll and see all the names in the thread.

Jonathan

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:

Magnus Hagander wrote:

Applied, thanks.

Uh.  What is this supposed to have done?

Click on the message view list.  You can now horizontally scroll and see all the names in the thread.

It does that in FF and IE, but not in Chrome.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:

Magnus Hagander wrote:

Applied, thanks.

Uh.  What is this supposed to have done?

Click on the message view list.  You can now horizontally scroll and see all the names in the thread.

It does that in FF and IE, but not in Chrome.

I tested it in Chrome and it works for me.  What version are you using?  Are you sure the stylesheet was not cached?

Jonathan

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:

Magnus Hagander wrote:

Applied, thanks.

Uh.  What is this supposed to have done?

Click on the message view list.  You can now horizontally scroll and see all the names in the thread.

It does that in FF and IE, but not in Chrome.

I tested it in Chrome and it works for me.  What version are you using?  Are you sure the stylesheet was not cached?

It must have been the latter.  After going through all meta-keys in combination with F5, it now scrolls.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Threadview for messages: really cool but big flaw

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Janes escribió:

> It must have been the latter.  After going through all meta-keys in
> combination with F5, it now scrolls.

Yep, same here, I see the scrollbar now.  Thanks.

Here's an idea to make this a little narrower: we don't need the email
address of the poster, only the name.  Also, how about removing the
seconds field for the time?