Обсуждение: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
The good news - the PostgreSQL community has grown, and we have many more events that we as a community are either hosting or taking part of.

However, we currently only show the next 3 upcoming events on the main www.postgresql.org homepage.  I think this significantly limits the visibility of upcoming events and could take away a significant marketing opportunity to showcase and support our various community events.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1.  We list >= 5 events on the homepage instead of 3.)
2.  We create a new flag for events - "Featured" - which allows us to select specific events to be either featured on the home page and/or in their own special section on the home page.  This would enable us to feature larger Postgres oriented events, but still provide visibility for smaller PG events or other OSS that feature PG in some way (ref our event posting policy - http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval#Approving_Events_and_Event-Related_News_.28excluding_training.29.

#1 is a small patch that many people (including myself) could handle at a moment's notice.   The argument could be made "Well now we display X events now but what if we need to show Y?" - yes I agree with this, but I think we should display a few more now and work on something longer term, i.e...

#2, which is a little bit more work but could open up some new opportunities that we could use the home page for in the future.  We could have a section highlighting "featured" events in the community that could persist on the homepage and continue to keep our regular upcoming events list.

I realize #2 would require both some policy change and some design considerations, which is why I would push to enact #1 and set it to 5.

Thoughts?

Jonathan

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
David Johnston
Дата:
Jonathan S. Katz wrote
> Here are a couple of suggestions:
>
> 1.  We list >= 5 events on the homepage instead of 3.)
> #1 is a small patch that many people (including myself) could handle at a
> moment's notice.   The argument could be made "Well now we display X
> events now but what if we need to show Y?" - yes I agree with this, but I
> think we should display a few more now and work on something longer term,
> i.e...

I get space is a premium resource but instead of a random integer
representing the number of events it would make more sense to show all
events occurring in the next (random integer) 3 months.  To preserve space
and avoid overloading the reader the number could still be capped (at say 5)
but the 5 that are shown should rotate on a daily basis from all those
occurring in the next 3 months.  A short blurb like "showing 5 of 17 events
in the next 3 months - click <here> to view all of them" could point people
further into the bowels of the website/wiki.

David J.

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

Дата:
David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
> Jonathan S. Katz wrote
>> Here are a couple of suggestions:
>>
>> 1.  We list >= 5 events on the homepage instead of 3.)

Given the way the page is laid out (with that column being shared with
training) this is not going to be an effective use of space.  We'd need
some actual redesign not just a quick s/3/5/.

> A short blurb like "showing 5 of 17 events
> in the next 3 months - click <here> to view all of them" could point people
> further into the bowels of the website/wiki.

We've already got a "More" link for that purpose.  I think the real
problem here is that the "More" link looks like it's for more training,
not more events.  Can we just move the "More/Submit/RSS" line up above
"Upcoming Training", so it looks like it has something to do with events?
I think that might be a sufficient fix all by itself.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 04:31:37PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Jonathan S. Katz wrote
> >> Here are a couple of suggestions:
> >>
> >> 1.  We list >= 5 events on the homepage instead of 3.)
>
> Given the way the page is laid out (with that column being shared with
> training) this is not going to be an effective use of space.  We'd need
> some actual redesign not just a quick s/3/5/.
>
> > A short blurb like "showing 5 of 17 events
> > in the next 3 months - click <here> to view all of them" could point people
> > further into the bowels of the website/wiki.
>
> We've already got a "More" link for that purpose.  I think the real
> problem here is that the "More" link looks like it's for more training,
> not more events.  Can we just move the "More/Submit/RSS" line up above
> "Upcoming Training", so it looks like it has something to do with events?
> I think that might be a sufficient fix all by itself.

Agreed.  The "More" needs to be moved, and the Events and Training need
to be split into separate pages.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Jonathan S. Katz wrote
>>> Here are a couple of suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1.  We list >= 5 events on the homepage instead of 3.)
>
> Given the way the page is laid out (with that column being shared with
> training) this is not going to be an effective use of space.  We'd need
> some actual redesign not just a quick s/3/5/.

I don't think we need a redesign for 3 -> 5.  If you look at the columns next to where the "Events" are listed, both of
thosedisplay 5 entries.  While those columns are independent (i.e. they do not share "Training" or the like), the
call-to-actionson the bottom of all of those do not line up as it is.  Thus if we are just expanding the event list, it
shouldnot require a re-deisgn.

However...

>> A short blurb like "showing 5 of 17 events
>> in the next 3 months - click <here> to view all of them" could point people
>> further into the bowels of the website/wiki.
>
> We've already got a "More" link for that purpose.  I think the real
> problem here is that the "More" link looks like it's for more training,
> not more events.  Can we just move the "More/Submit/RSS" line up above
> "Upcoming Training", so it looks like it has something to do with events?
> I think that might be a sufficient fix all by itself.

I do think this would help with some of the basic confusion.  As Bruce suggests, we can even consider splitting out
Eventsand Training pages.  Listing them on separate pages could be good for search engine purposes and general site
navigability

Jonathan

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 04:31:37PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> Jonathan S. Katz wrote

>> Given the way the page is laid out (with that column being shared with
>> training) this is not going to be an effective use of space.  We'd need
>> some actual redesign not just a quick s/3/5/.
>>
>>> A short blurb like "showing 5 of 17 events
>>> in the next 3 months - click <here> to view all of them" could point people
>>> further into the bowels of the website/wiki.
>>
>> We've already got a "More" link for that purpose.  I think the real
>> problem here is that the "More" link looks like it's for more training,
>> not more events.  Can we just move the "More/Submit/RSS" line up above
>> "Upcoming Training", so it looks like it has something to do with events?
>> I think that might be a sufficient fix all by itself.
>
> Agreed.  The "More" needs to be moved, and the Events and Training need
> to be split into separate pages.

Here is a proposed patch that increases the number of events shown on the home page to 5 and also moves the
"More/Submit/RSS"links above "Upcoming Training"

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> Given the way the page is laid out (with that column being shared with
>>> training) this is not going to be an effective use of space.  We'd need
>>> some actual redesign not just a quick s/3/5/.

>>> We've already got a "More" link for that purpose.  I think the real
>>> problem here is that the "More" link looks like it's for more training,
>>> not more events.  Can we just move the "More/Submit/RSS" line up above
>>> "Upcoming Training", so it looks like it has something to do with events?
>>> I think that might be a sufficient fix all by itself.
>>
>> Agreed.  The "More" needs to be moved, and the Events and Training need
>> to be split into separate pages.
>
> Here is a proposed patch that increases the number of events shown on the home page to 5 and also moves the
"More/Submit/RSS"links above "Upcoming Training"

I haven't actually tested it since I don't currently have the testing
data, but isn't this going to make the events column significantly
"longer" than the ones to the left and right (news and planet)? Maybe
we need to increase the number of news and planet items as well?
(Which wouldn't be a problem, I believe, since there is nothing below
them ont he page anyway that would get pushed down). That way it would
be properly balanced?

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Aug 22, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Agreed.  The "More" needs to be moved, and the Events and Training need
>>> to be split into separate pages.
>>
>> Here is a proposed patch that increases the number of events shown on the home page to 5 and also moves the
"More/Submit/RSS"links above "Upcoming Training"

> I haven't actually tested it since I don't currently have the testing
> data, but isn't this going to make the events column significantly
> "longer" than the ones to the left and right (news and planet)? Maybe
> we need to increase the number of news and planet items as well?
> (Which wouldn't be a problem, I believe, since there is nothing below
> them ont he page anyway that would get pushed down). That way it would
> be properly balanced?

Fair point - attach is a patch that extends the news and Planet postings to 7 items on the homepage, to maintain the
balance.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Here is a proposed patch that increases the number of events shown on the home page to 5 and also moves the
"More/Submit/RSS"links above "Upcoming Training"

>> I haven't actually tested it since I don't currently have the testing
>> data, but isn't this going to make the events column significantly
>> "longer" than the ones to the left and right (news and planet)? Maybe
>> we need to increase the number of news and planet items as well?
>> (Which wouldn't be a problem, I believe, since there is nothing below
>> them ont he page anyway that would get pushed down). That way it would
>> be properly balanced?
>
> Fair point - attach is a patch that extends the news and Planet postings to 7 items on the homepage, to maintain the
balance.

Seems fine to me. Sorry about the delay in the "quick" review. Please
commit and push :)

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Sep 9, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> I haven't actually tested it since I don't currently have the testing
>>> data, but isn't this going to make the events column significantly
>>> "longer" than the ones to the left and right (news and planet)? Maybe
>>> we need to increase the number of news and planet items as well?
>>> (Which wouldn't be a problem, I believe, since there is nothing below
>>> them ont he page anyway that would get pushed down). That way it would
>>> be properly balanced?
>>
>> Fair point - attach is a patch that extends the news and Planet postings to 7 items on the homepage, to maintain the
balance.

> Seems fine to me. Sorry about the delay in the "quick" review. Please
> commit and push :)

Probably should wait at least a day given today is release day?

Jonathan

Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Fair point - attach is a patch that extends the news and Planet postings to 7 items on the homepage, to maintain
thebalance.

>> Seems fine to me. Sorry about the delay in the "quick" review. Please
>> commit and push :)
>
> Probably should wait at least a day given today is release day?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.