Обсуждение: Change my contributor information

Change my contributor information

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Hi,

I'd like to update my contributor information.

1) change my email address to davec.cramer@credativ.ca
2) add a link to www.credativ.ca

Also for my support information change there is a spelling mistake "PostreSQL International" should be "PostgreSQL International"

Thanks

Dave Cramer

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to update my contributor information.
>
> 1) change my email address to davec.cramer@credativ.ca
> 2) add a link to www.credativ.ca

That has been updated.

> Also for my support information change there is a spelling mistake
> "PostreSQL International" should be "PostgreSQL International"

Do you have a URL for that? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Change my contributor information

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 12/13/2013 08:43 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to update my contributor information.
>>
>> 1) change my email address to davec.cramer@credativ.ca
>> 2) add a link to www.credativ.ca
>
> That has been updated.
>
>> Also for my support information change there is a spelling mistake
>> "PostreSQL International" should be "PostgreSQL International"
>
> Do you have a URL for that? I'm not sure what you're referring to.
>
> Thanks!

It seems that contributors should be linked to community accounts so
contributors can edit themselves.... just saying :P

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> It seems that contributors should be linked to community accounts so
> contributors can edit themselves.... just saying :P

Gods, yes!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> It seems that contributors should be linked to community accounts so
> contributors can edit themselves.... just saying :P

Gods, yes!

Pretty sure we discussed this at some earlier point and said we didn't want that in order to have things moderated. But if we do actually want it, it shouldn't be very hard to implement...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Pretty sure we discussed this at some earlier point and said we didn't want
> that in order to have things moderated. But if we do actually want it, it
> shouldn't be very hard to implement...

Well, I think people should be able to change their contact information
and company affiliation on their own.  They shouldn't be able to change
their own contributor status, of course.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Change my contributor information

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 12/16/2013 11:06 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Pretty sure we discussed this at some earlier point and said we didn't want
>> that in order to have things moderated. But if we do actually want it, it
>> shouldn't be very hard to implement...
>
> Well, I think people should be able to change their contact information
> and company affiliation on their own.  They shouldn't be able to change
> their own contributor status, of course.

Right. Let us just manage our contributor "profile", not the level or
whether we are or aren't.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms   a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 11:06 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >>Pretty sure we discussed this at some earlier point and said we didn't want
> >>that in order to have things moderated. But if we do actually want it, it
> >>shouldn't be very hard to implement...
> >
> >Well, I think people should be able to change their contact information
> >and company affiliation on their own.  They shouldn't be able to change
> >their own contributor status, of course.
>
> Right. Let us just manage our contributor "profile", not the level
> or whether we are or aren't.

Being able to manage it and having it pulled dynamically are two quite
different things, of course.  I'm all for letting users manage the
source data which is used to generate the results, but I'd suggest there
be a review process or similar which happens prior to publication of a
change, just to ensure that we don't end up with garbage out there
somehow, which I think is what Magnus was hinting at up-thread.

Maybe we even just have it be an email which is sent out when changes
are done, but if we *do* end up with garbage, it'd be out there for
however long it takes for someone to see the email *and* take corrective
action.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Change my contributor information

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 12/16/2013 12:43 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I think people should be able to change their contact information
>>> and company affiliation on their own.  They shouldn't be able to change
>>> their own contributor status, of course.
>>
>> Right. Let us just manage our contributor "profile", not the level
>> or whether we are or aren't.
>
> Being able to manage it and having it pulled dynamically are two quite
> different things, of course.  I'm all for letting users manage the
> source data which is used to generate the results, but I'd suggest there
> be a review process or similar which happens prior to publication of a
> change, just to ensure that we don't end up with garbage out there
> somehow, which I think is what Magnus was hinting at up-thread.
>
> Maybe we even just have it be an email which is sent out when changes
> are done, but if we *do* end up with garbage, it'd be out there for
> however long it takes for someone to see the email *and* take corrective
> action.

I think we are thinking way to hard about this. If someone puts garbage
on their profile that just makes them look bad.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms   a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> I think we are thinking way to hard about this. If someone puts
> garbage on their profile that just makes them look bad.

Doesn't strike me as terribly hard to think about, I feel it'd probably
integrate better with the current way things work, and garbage on our
site makes *us* look bad, probably more than anyone else.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> I think we are thinking way to hard about this. If someone puts
> garbage on their profile that just makes them look bad.

Doesn't strike me as terribly hard to think about, I feel it'd probably
integrate better with the current way things work, and garbage on our
site makes *us* look bad, probably more than anyone else.

I think the only real thing to be worried about is link spam. And frankly, I don't necessarily think we have to care about that when it comes to the people who are on our *contributors list*. It is definitely a problem when it comes to professional services, events, and things like that, but people on our contributors list should probably not be there at all if they engage in that sort of thing.

I think it could be reasonable to allow editing, but to post an automated notice to the slaves list whenever something is actually changed.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> I think the only real thing to be worried about is link spam. And frankly,
> I don't necessarily think we have to care about that when it comes to the
> people who are on our *contributors list*. It is definitely a problem when
> it comes to professional services, events, and things like that, but people
> on our contributors list should probably not be there at all if they engage
> in that sort of thing.

My concern was also about possible bugs in our auth system and account
compormise risk.  I'm not worried about authorized contributors putting
garbage in, that said..

> I think it could be reasonable to allow editing, but to post an automated
> notice to the slaves list whenever something is actually changed.

I'm alright with this approach too.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Change my contributor information

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 12/16/2013 01:09 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
>> I think we are thinking way to hard about this. If someone puts
>> garbage on their profile that just makes them look bad.
>
> Doesn't strike me as terribly hard to think about, I feel it'd probably
> integrate better with the current way things work, and garbage on our
> site makes *us* look bad, probably more than anyone else.

My reference point is things like LinkedIn profiles. If the profile is
garbage, the person looks bad, not linkedin. I think the idea of a
moderator having to approve my update to my profile is silly.

Do I think there should be a way to remove the information if it is
incorrect, of course!

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms   a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats

Re: Change my contributor information

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> I think the only real thing to be worried about is link spam. And frankly,
> I don't necessarily think we have to care about that when it comes to the
> people who are on our *contributors list*. It is definitely a problem when
> it comes to professional services, events, and things like that, but people
> on our contributors list should probably not be there at all if they engage
> in that sort of thing.

My concern was also about possible bugs in our auth system and account
compormise risk.  I'm not worried about authorized contributors putting
garbage in, that said..

I think there are many more risks around *that* problem. You can post info in a lot of other places as well if you have a compromised account.

> I think it could be reasonable to allow editing, but to post an automated
> notice to the slaves list whenever something is actually changed.

I'm alright with this approach too.

I've done this now - people can edit their own contrib info *if* they had the same emali address on the contrib info as on their own account. If they don't, an admin will need to update the contrib record with the correct userid first.

Whenever anything is changed, an email is sent to the slaves list for post-moderation.