Обсуждение: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Amir Rohan
Дата:
The flat web interface does a reasonable job of letting people
follow discussion without getting too much mail. Once you find
a discussion you'd like to participate in though, there's no
easy way to make your first post to thread, because threading
is based on the "In-Reply-To:" or other some mail headers. If
you're not subscribed, you can't "Reply", and so your email
doesn't end up linked to the thread in the flat view (I'm
guessing most people use that, if not their mail client).

So far, I've been downloading the mbox, importing it to my mail client
and then replying and it's quite cumbersome.

I've read elsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a
mail address associated with a message (displayed on the web interface)
that routes your mail message to the thread. I'm not sure
if majordomo supports this, but if or another solution
is possible, it would be a welcome improvement.

Regards,
Amir

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

Дата:
Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com> writes:
> I've read elsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a
> mail address associated with a message (displayed on the web interface)
> that routes your mail message to the thread.

Seems awfully like a here-please-spam-us button.  The address would have
to be displayed un-obfuscated, which means it'd get picked up by spammers'
webcrawlers.  Admittedly, no one would know except the PG list moderators,
but I think they'd be unhappy about an increase in workload.

And before you ask: yes, spammers still do that.  A lot.  For example,
just a few hours ago my mailserver bounced something

Sep 27 06:30:05 sss1 sendmail[29150]: t8RAU4Ja029150: <12716.1437746049@sss.pgh.pa.us>... User unknown

that certainly has never been used as a mail address, but it does match
a message-ID in the pgsql-hackers archives from July.  I see no plausible
explanation for that except that somebody scraped it off the archives and
took it for a deliverable address.  This is not an isolated example; I see
anywhere from a couple dozen to several hundred *per day* like this in my
mail logs.

There are ways around that, probably, but I'm not sure it's worth the
work.
        regards, tom lane

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com> writes:
> I've read elsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a
> mail address associated with a message (displayed on the web interface)
> that routes your mail message to the thread.

Seems awfully like a here-please-spam-us button.  The address would have
to be displayed un-obfuscated, which means it'd get picked up by spammers'
webcrawlers.  Admittedly, no one would know except the PG list moderators,
but I think they'd be unhappy about an increase in workload.

And before you ask: yes, spammers still do that.  A lot.  For example,
just a few hours ago my mailserver bounced something

Sep 27 06:30:05 sss1 sendmail[29150]: t8RAU4Ja029150: <12716.1437746049@sss.pgh.pa.us>... User unknown

that certainly has never been used as a mail address, but it does match
a message-ID in the pgsql-hackers archives from July.  I see no plausible
explanation for that except that somebody scraped it off the archives and
took it for a deliverable address.  This is not an isolated example; I see
anywhere from a couple dozen to several hundred *per day* like this in my
mail logs.

There are ways around that, probably, but I'm not sure it's worth the
work.

​What I thought I've seen previously is a form that allows a user to enter their email address and have the system re-send them the original email as if they had been originally included (without the other CC recipients but that could be a nice touch).  I had tried using digest mode for a while and would have liked such a capability.  For non-subscribers the flow would need to be more considered.

David J.

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com> writes:
> > I've read elsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a
> > mail address associated with a message (displayed on the web interface)
> > that routes your mail message to the thread.
>
> Seems awfully like a here-please-spam-us button.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  What I think would be workable is to
create a feature that emails you an archived message, and requires that
you're logged in with your community account.  That sounds hard enough
to abuse by spammers and convenient enough for actual users.

I wonder if it would break stuff like DKIM signatures, SPF checks, and
the like.

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
> Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com> writes:
> > I've read elsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a
> > mail address associated with a message (displayed on the web interface)
> > that routes your mail message to the thread.
>
> Seems awfully like a here-please-spam-us button.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  What I think would be workable is to
create a feature that emails you an archived message, and requires that
you're logged in with your community account.  That sounds hard enough
to abuse by spammers and convenient enough for actual users.

I wonder if it would break stuff like DKIM signatures, SPF checks, and
the like.

It probably would -- but not more than just the mailinglist already does?

--

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >
> > > Seems awfully like a here-please-spam-us button.
> >
> > Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  What I think would be workable is to
> > create a feature that emails you an archived message, and requires that
> > you're logged in with your community account.  That sounds hard enough
> > to abuse by spammers and convenient enough for actual users.
> >
> > I wonder if it would break stuff like DKIM signatures, SPF checks, and
> > the like.
>
> It probably would -- but not more than just the mailinglist already does?

Yeah, good point ...

So how hard would you think this would be?

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
> Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com> writes:
> > I've read elsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a
> > mail address associated with a message (displayed on the web interface)
> > that routes your mail message to the thread.
>
> Seems awfully like a here-please-spam-us button.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  What I think would be workable is to
create a feature that emails you an archived message, and requires that
you're logged in with your community account.  That sounds hard enough
to abuse by spammers and convenient enough for actual users.

I wonder if it would break stuff like DKIM signatures, SPF checks, and
the like.

I think majordomo already has a command to do that.  It was discussed somewhere on one
of these lists in the last few months, but I can't seem to find the discussion now.

I thought someone was going to create a link on the maillist archive page that would provide some visibility to this buried gem, but I cannot find that, either.  Maybe this vague recollection can jog someone's memory.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
"Amir Rohan"
Дата:
wrote:</div><div><spanstyle="white-space: pre;">> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera<br /> >
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com<mailto:alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:<br /> ><br /> > Tom Lane wrote:<br
/>> > Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com <mailto:amir.rohan@mail.com>> writes:<br /> > > > I've
readelsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a<br /> > > > mail address associated with a message
wouldbe workable is to<br /> > create a feature that emails you an archived message, and requires that<br /> >
you'relogged in with your community account. That sounds hard enough<br /> > to abuse by spammers and convenient
enoughfor actual users.<br /> ><br /> > I think majordomo already has a command to do that. It was discussed<br
/>> somewhere on one<br /> > of these lists in the last few months, but I can't seem to find the<br /> >
needto subscribe first (and unsubsribe again later). Defeating the purpose.<br /> 2) Find out how to do this was not
trivialand took (relativly) a lot of time. Hiding instructions on this somewhere on the website wouldn't<br /> be much
betterin practice.<br /> 3) The selection granularity is crap. Asking for a day from -hackers<br /> got me 120 messages
solution,it sucks, but if it helps to implement<br /> a click handler on the website that gets me a particular

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Amir Rohan (amir.rohan@mail.com) wrote:
> So far, I've been downloading the mbox, importing it to my mail client
> and then replying and it's quite cumbersome.

Is that cumbersome because the mbox is large, or is it the process?  If
it's the process, why not look into automating it?  If it's because the
mbox is large, then please join me in asking Magnus to add a
"download-as-mbox" link off of the 'flat' view, to get just one thread
as an mbox.

My hope is to convince Magnus to add that (or maybe I'll try and write
it myself..) and then have a macro in mutt which grabs the Message-ID of
the current message and pulls down the mbox and opens it.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2015-09-28 08:44:18 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> My hope is to convince Magnus to add that (or maybe I'll try and write
> it myself..) and then have a macro in mutt which grabs the Message-ID of
> the current message and pulls down the mbox and opens it.

Are mutt and the like users really the problematic audience here? I mean
it's trivial to add a reply-to header there?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> On 2015-09-28 08:44:18 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > My hope is to convince Magnus to add that (or maybe I'll try and write
> > it myself..) and then have a macro in mutt which grabs the Message-ID of
> > the current message and pulls down the mbox and opens it.
>
> Are mutt and the like users really the problematic audience here? I mean
> it's trivial to add a reply-to header there?

I didn't say they were and so I'm not sure what you're referring to
here.

In the part you cut out, Amir lamented on the difficulty of pulling down
and importing an mbox.  If part of the problem there is the size of the
monthly mbox (or that the mbox only contains part of the thread, which
can happen), then having the ability to pull down an mbox format of just
the thread would be helpful.  That's a capability which I'm also
interested in and which could be useful to a lot of people, regardless
of their mail client.

Thanks!

Stephen