Обсуждение: Time to retire -performance?

Time to retire -performance?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Team,

I think it is time to retire this list. It gets very, very little
traffic and most people (by an extreme margin) just use -general or
-hackers.

JD

Re: Time to retire -performance?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Team,
>
> I think it is time to retire this list. It gets very, very little traffic
> and most people (by an extreme margin) just use -general or -hackers.

No way.  There are two useful threads just on the last week.  What would
be the point?

Re: Time to retire -performance?

Дата:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I think it is time to retire this list. It gets very, very little traffic
>> and most people (by an extreme margin) just use -general or -hackers.

> No way.  There are two useful threads just on the last week.  What would
> be the point?

Indeed.  There are some lists I think we possibly *could* retire,
like -interfaces, but -performance is reasonably popular.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> I think it is time to retire this list. It gets very, very little traffic
> >> and most people (by an extreme margin) just use -general or -hackers.
>
> > No way.  There are two useful threads just on the last week.  What would
> > be the point?
>
> Indeed.  There are some lists I think we possibly *could* retire,
> like -interfaces, but -performance is reasonably popular.

Actually I was thinking we could retire pgsql-php and redirect the
almost non-existant traffic to -interfaces.

Re: Time to retire -performance?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 01/05/2016 10:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Team,
>>
>> I think it is time to retire this list. It gets very, very little traffic
>> and most people (by an extreme margin) just use -general or -hackers.
>
> No way.  There are two useful threads just on the last week.  What would
> be the point?

That useful thread could just as easily be on -general or -hackers
depending on context.

JD

Re: Time to retire -performance?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 01/05/2016 10:32 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I think it is time to retire this list. It gets very, very little traffic
>>> and most people (by an extreme margin) just use -general or -hackers.
>
>> No way.  There are two useful threads just on the last week.  What would
>> be the point?
>
> Indeed.  There are some lists I think we possibly *could* retire,
> like -interfaces, but -performance is reasonably popular.

And -admin but -performance is reasonably popular by what metric?

http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-performance/before/201601011713

Is pretty dry in comparison to say -general.

If we don't want to do it, cool. Just thinking maybe for the sake of
more eyes equals more possibility of response.

JD

>             regards, tom lane

Re: Time to retire -performance?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 01/05/2016 10:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>
>>> No way.  There are two useful threads just on the last week.  What would
>>> be the point?
>>
>> Indeed.  There are some lists I think we possibly *could* retire,
>> like -interfaces, but -performance is reasonably popular.
>
> Actually I was thinking we could retire pgsql-php and redirect the
> almost non-existant traffic to -interfaces.

I would instead push them to php.net lists....

jD

Re: Time to retire -performance?

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I think it is time to retire this list. It gets very, very little traffic
>> and most people (by an extreme margin) just use -general or -hackers.
>
> No way.  There are two useful threads just on the last week.  What would
> be the point?

-performance did seem to have a heyday, about 4 years ago, when Greg
Smith was very active; Greg specifically names -performance in his
book, for example. While I think the -performance list has declined
since then, I'd still never vote to remove it.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Time to retire -performance?

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 05/01/2016 18:57, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/05/2016 10:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> Indeed.  There are some lists I think we possibly *could* retire,
>>> like -interfaces, but -performance is reasonably popular.
>>
>> Actually I was thinking we could retire pgsql-php and redirect the
>> almost non-existant traffic to -interfaces.
>
> I would instead push them to php.net lists....

To be fair, the (very few) threads that have have appeared there any
time recently would have been better on -general, so I'd push them there
instead.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland