Обсуждение: BUG #14362: Postgres macaddr does not support EUI-64 8-byte MAC addresses

BUG #14362: Postgres macaddr does not support EUI-64 8-byte MAC addresses

От
tilo.sloboda@gmail.com
Дата: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Re: BUG #14362: Postgres macaddr does not support EUI-64 8-byte MAC addresses

Дата:
tilo.sloboda@gmail.com writes:
> What is the plan for Postgres to support EUI-64 MACs?

I know of nobody working on that.  Feel free to submit a patch.
(I'm afraid it might be nontrivial to get the current datatype
to do anything about this, though, since it's hard-wired as 6 bytes
on-disk.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #14362: Postgres macaddr does not support EUI-64 8-byte MAC addresses

От
Tilo Sloboda
Дата:
thanks for the quick answer.

I'm not a contributor of the Postgres code base.

The EUI-64 has been around for a while now, and real-world data contains
such MAC addresses.

How useful is the current macaddr data type if it breaks with real world
input data - and in turn end-users apps?

It would be great it either the macaddr type would be extended, or an
additional type could be introduced which can handle both 48 and 64-bit
MACs.

best regards,  Tilo

On 10/10/16 10:00 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> tilo.sloboda@gmail.com writes:
>> What is the plan for Postgres to support EUI-64 MACs?
>
> I know of nobody working on that.  Feel free to submit a patch.
> (I'm afraid it might be nontrivial to get the current datatype
> to do anything about this, though, since it's hard-wired as 6 bytes
> on-disk.)
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #14362: Postgres macaddr does not support EUI-64 8-byte MAC addresses

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Tilo Sloboda <tilo.sloboda@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not a contributor of the Postgres code base.

And? Anybody can become one, including yourself:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch
Personally I have always a great time discussing, reviewing and
writing patches. There's always something new to look at. If you are
not willing to do the work but would like to get the feature in
Postgres core as fast as possible, your company could fund someone to
do this work, or just implement that as a external module. The latter
would be faster, but support is yours in the long term.
--
Michael