Обсуждение: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify tape block format.

[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify tape block format.

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Simplify tape block format.

No more indirect blocks. The blocks form a linked list instead.

This saves some memory, because we don't need to have a buffer in memory to
hold the indirect block (or blocks). To reflect that, TAPE_BUFFER_OVERHEAD
is reduced from 3 to 1 buffer, which allows using more memory for building
the initial runs.

Reviewed by Peter Geoghegan and Robert Haas.

Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/34678beb-938e-646e-db9f-a7def5c44ada%40iki.fi

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/01ec25631fe0eae6af67c29c61a358dc6b92ed3c

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/utils/sort/logtape.c   | 627 +++++++++++--------------------------
src/backend/utils/sort/tuplesort.c |  65 ++--
src/include/utils/logtape.h        |   4 +-

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify tape block format.

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi> wrote:
> Simplify tape block format.
>
> No more indirect blocks. The blocks form a linked list instead.

There is still one remaining reference to indirect blocks that you
missed in comments above LogicalTapeRewindForWrite().

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify tape block format.

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 12/26/2016 11:52 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Simplify tape block format.
>>
>> No more indirect blocks. The blocks form a linked list instead.
>
> There is still one remaining reference to indirect blocks that you
> missed in comments above LogicalTapeRewindForWrite().

Thanks, fixed!

- Heikki