Обсуждение: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

[HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Peter,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
> log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
> which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.

Haven't looked at the patch, but +1 for this change.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
David Steele
Дата:
> Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
> log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
> which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.

+1 for the idea.

The documentation changes look good to me, but the error message changes
are a random mix of "WAL" and "write-ahead log", even when referring to
the same thing.  For example:

- errmsg("could not open transaction log directory \"%s\": %m",
+ errmsg("could not open write-ahead log directory \"%s\": %m",

and:

- fprintf(stderr, _("%s: failed to remove transaction log directory\n"),
+ fprintf(stderr, _("%s: failed to remove WAL directory\n"),

It seems like they should be one or the other.  I think "write-ahead
log" is good in the documentation since it is more explanatory, but the
error messages should either be all "write-ahead log" or all "WAL".

Personally I favor "WAL" for brevity in the error messages, but I would
be OK with "write-ahead log", too.

--
-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
> log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
> which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.

+1 for the idea.  I suggest grepping for "transaction$" too -- there are
a few cases in SGML that have the phrase "transaction log" split across
lines.

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 10:57:06AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
> > log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
> > which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.
>
> +1 for the idea.  I suggest grepping for "transaction$" too -- there are
> a few cases in SGML that have the phrase "transaction log" split across
> lines.

In general, you can use ag a.k.a. "The Silver Searcher" for phrase
searches as follows:

ag $(echo "the phrase to be searched" | sed -e 's/ /\\s/g')

Thanks to Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker for the tip :)

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 10:33:32AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 10:57:06AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
> > > log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
> > > which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.
> >
> > +1 for the idea.  I suggest grepping for "transaction$" too -- there are
> > a few cases in SGML that have the phrase "transaction log" split across
> > lines.
>
> In general, you can use ag a.k.a. "The Silver Searcher" for phrase
> searches as follows:
>
> ag $(echo "the phrase to be searched" | sed -e 's/ /\\s/g')

Oops.  That should read:

ag $(echo "the phrase to be searched" | sed -e 's/ /\\s+/g')

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 10:33:32AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 for the idea.  I suggest grepping for "transaction$" too -- there are
> > > a few cases in SGML that have the phrase "transaction log" split across
> > > lines.
> >
> > In general, you can use ag a.k.a. "The Silver Searcher" for phrase
> > searches as follows:

> ag $(echo "the phrase to be searched" | sed -e 's/ /\\s+/g')

Nice, thanks.  So after applying Peter's patch, this grep returns the
following (after removing the *.po files from the result):

src/backend/access/transam/transam.c:4: *      postgres transaction log interface routines

Probably change to "commit log"; this one is not related to WAL.

doc/src/sgml/release-old.sgml:2245:<listitem><para>Prevent possible compressed transaction log loss
(Tom)</para></listitem>
doc/src/sgml/release-old.sgml:2282:<listitem><para>Fix for compressed transaction log id wraparound
(Tom)</para></listitem>
doc/src/sgml/release-8.2.sgml:5163:       Allow a forced switch to a new transaction log file (Simon, Tom)
doc/src/sgml/release-8.2.sgml:5168:       in sync with the master.  Transaction log file switching now also happens
doc/src/sgml/release-8.2.sgml:5172:       transaction log files needed for recovery can be archived immediately.
doc/src/sgml/release-8.2.sgml:5182:       Add functions for interrogating the current transaction log insertion
doc/src/sgml/release-8.2.sgml:5222:       to force transaction log file switches at a given interval (Simon)
doc/src/sgml/release-9.6.sgml:3180:        to expose the current transaction log flush location (Tomas Vondra)

Leave old release notes untouched.

doc/src/sgml/release-10.sgml:2362:       2016-11-09 [41124a91e] pgbench: Allow the transaction log file prefix to be
cha
doc/src/sgml/release-10.sgml:2520:       2016-10-23 [56c7d8d45] Allow pg_basebackup to stream transaction log in tar
mod

Comments, ignore.  (First one is unrelated anyway.)

doc/src/sgml/high-availability.sgml:141:   <term>Transaction Log Shipping</term>
doc/src/sgml/high-availability.sgml:292:     <entry>Transaction Log Shipping</entry>

I think it'd make sense to flip these two to Write-Ahead Log Shipping
too.  (Why aren't there index entries for the term?  Maybe add two
entries, one for "transaction log" and another one for WAL).

doc/src/sgml/wal.sgml:241:    <primary>transaction log</primary>

Leave this one alone, add another indexentry for the WAL terminology.

doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_receivewal.sgml:35:   from a running <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> cluster. The
transaction
doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_receivewal.sgml:36:   log is streamed using the streaming replication protocol, and is written

Peter missed this one.

doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_receivewal.sgml:43:   <application>pg_receivewal</application> streams the transaction
doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_receivewal.sgml:44:   log in real time as it's being generated on the server, and does not wait

Ditto.

doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_basebackup.sgml:181:            the cluster has no additional tablespaces and transaction
doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_basebackup.sgml:182:            log streaming is not used.

Ditto.

doc/src/sgml/ref/pgbench.sgml:1126:  <title>Per-Transaction Logging</title>

Unrelated, don't change.

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

Дата:
> Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
> log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
> which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.

This will need to be rebased over d10c626de, which made a few of the
same/similar changes but did not try to hit stuff that wasn't adjacent
to what it was changing anyway.  I'm +1 for the idea though.  I think
we should also try to standardize on the terminology "WAL location"
for LSNs, not variants such as "WAL position" or "log position".
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Committed, adjusting for some of the suggestions.

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 5/3/17 09:10, David Steele wrote:
> The documentation changes look good to me, but the error message changes
> are a random mix of "WAL" and "write-ahead log", even when referring to
> the same thing.

The reason for this is that some of the error messages refer to a
--waldir option or something like it, so it seems appropriate to also
refer to "WAL" in the error messages.

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Дата:

> Committed, adjusting for some of the suggestions.

Looks like one occurrence was still left in:

$ ag --no-group --ignore po --ignore release-\* --ignore wal.sgml '\btransaction\s+log\b'
doc/src/sgml/func.sgml:18631:    end of the transaction log at any instant, while the write location is the end of

The four other occurrences in the same paragraph were fixed, so I assume
this was just an oversight.

- ilmari
--
"I use RMS as a guide in the same way that a boat captain would usea lighthouse.  It's good to know where it is, but
yougenerallydon't want to find yourself in the same spot." - Tollef Fog Heen

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 5/11/17 12:00, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
>> log" to refer to the write-ahead log.  Here is a patch to rename that,
>> which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.
>
> This will need to be rebased over d10c626de, which made a few of the
> same/similar changes but did not try to hit stuff that wasn't adjacent
> to what it was changing anyway.  I'm +1 for the idea though.  I think
> we should also try to standardize on the terminology "WAL location"
> for LSNs, not variants such as "WAL position" or "log position".

done

Re: [HACKERS] renaming "transaction log"

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 5/12/17 12:12, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:

>> Committed, adjusting for some of the suggestions.
>
> Looks like one occurrence was still left in:
>
> $ ag --no-group --ignore po --ignore release-\* --ignore wal.sgml '\btransaction\s+log\b'
> doc/src/sgml/func.sgml:18631:    end of the transaction log at any instant, while the write location is the end of
>
> The four other occurrences in the same paragraph were fixed, so I assume
> this was just an oversight.

Fixed, thanks.