Обсуждение: [DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf,not postgres.conf

[DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf,not postgres.conf

От
vodevsh@gmail.com
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/config-setting.html

> The already-mentioned ALTER SYSTEM command provides a SQL-accessible means
of changing global defaults; it is functionally equivalent to editing
postgresql.conf

Should not it be ...to editing postgresql.auto.conf?.. I know user is not
supposed to edit postgresql.auto.conf but this is what ALTER SYSTEM does,
not touching the postgres.conf - isn't is confusing in manual?..

Thank you

Re: [DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM,  <vodevsh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/config-setting.html
>
> > The already-mentioned ALTER SYSTEM command provides a SQL-accessible means
> of changing global defaults; it is functionally equivalent to editing
> postgresql.conf
>
> Should not it be ...to editing postgresql.auto.conf?.. I know user is not
> supposed to edit postgresql.auto.conf but this is what ALTER SYSTEM does,
> not touching the postgres.conf - isn't is confusing in manual?..

The documentation looks correctly shaped to me per this paragraph
above the one you mention here:
In addition to postgresql.conf, a PostgreSQL data directory contains a
file postgresql.auto.conf, which has the same format as
postgresql.conf but should never be edited manually.

So, citing postgresql.conf, which can be edited manually, looks correct to me.
--
Michael

Re: [DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM, <vodevsh@gmail.com> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/config-setting.html

&gt; The already-mentioned ALTER SYSTEM command provides a SQL-accessible means
of changing global defaults; it is functionally equivalent to editing
postgresql.conf

Should not it be ...to editing postgresql.auto.conf?.. I know user is not
supposed to edit postgresql.auto.conf but this is what ALTER SYSTEM does,
not touching the postgres.conf - isn&#39;t is confusing in manual?..

​I think it is fine; but if being picky I'd probably say:

"[...] of changing global default as an alternative to editing postgres.conf"

It is functionally equivalent from the perspective of the runtime environment of the system.  It is not mechanically equivalent since, as you say, the contents of postgres.conf are not actually changed.

David J.