Обсуждение: [HACKERS] parallel documentation improvements

[HACKERS] parallel documentation improvements

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Hi,

In commit 054637d2e08cda6a096f48cc99696136a06f4ef5, I updated the
parallel query documentation to reflect recently-committed parallel
query features.  However, a few more things got committed after that.
Most of the attached patch consists of generalizing references to
Gather to also include Gather Merge, but also included a tweak to note
that uncorrelated subplans are no longer parallel-restricted and made
a few other minor improvements and clarifications.

Barring objections, I'd like to commit this in the next couple of days
so that it is included in beta3.  I probably should have gotten to do
this sooner; apologies for any inconvenience.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] parallel documentation improvements

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
On 2017-08-01 20:43, Robert Haas wrote:

> In commit 054637d2e08cda6a096f48cc99696136a06f4ef5, I updated the
> parallel query documentation to reflect recently-committed parallel
>
> Barring objections, I'd like to commit this in the next couple of days

I think that in this bit:
     occurrence is frequent, considering increasing     <varname>max_worker_processes</> and
<varname>max_parallel_workers</>     so that more workers can be run simultaneously or alternatively
reducing
-    <xref linkend="guc-max-parallel-workers-per-gather"> so that the
planner
+    <varname>max_parallel_workers_per_gather</varname> so that the
planner     requests fewer workers.

'considering increasing'  should be
'consider increasing'

Re: [HACKERS] parallel documentation improvements

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 2017-08-01 20:43, Robert Haas wrote:
>> In commit 054637d2e08cda6a096f48cc99696136a06f4ef5, I updated the
>> parallel query documentation to reflect recently-committed parallel
>>
>> Barring objections, I'd like to commit this in the next couple of days
>
> I think that in this bit:
>
>      occurrence is frequent, considering increasing
>      <varname>max_worker_processes</> and <varname>max_parallel_workers</>
>      so that more workers can be run simultaneously or alternatively
> reducing
> -    <xref linkend="guc-max-parallel-workers-per-gather"> so that the
> planner
> +    <varname>max_parallel_workers_per_gather</varname> so that the planner
>      requests fewer workers.
>

> 'considering increasing'  should be
> 'consider increasing'

Thanks, you are right.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] parallel documentation improvements

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> In commit 054637d2e08cda6a096f48cc99696136a06f4ef5, I updated the
> parallel query documentation to reflect recently-committed parallel
> query features.  However, a few more things got committed after that.
> Most of the attached patch consists of generalizing references to
> Gather to also include Gather Merge, but also included a tweak to note
> that uncorrelated subplans are no longer parallel-restricted and made
> a few other minor improvements and clarifications.
>
> Barring objections, I'd like to commit this in the next couple of days
> so that it is included in beta3.  I probably should have gotten to do
> this sooner; apologies for any inconvenience.

Well, that didn't happen.   Oops.  But better late than never -- committed now.