Обсуждение: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

[GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
athinivas
Дата:
Hi,

I'm having a requirement to delete a file in system whenever pg server is
started/crashed. Any idea?

Thanks,
Athi

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
Melvin Davidson

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM, athinivas <athinivas@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a requirement to delete a file in system whenever pg server is
started/crashed. Any idea?

Thanks,
Athi

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

It would be nice to know your Operating System and PostgreSQL version().

That being said, have you looked at the documentation for "shared_preload_libraries" ?

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
Ray Cote
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM, athinivas <athinivas@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a requirement to delete a file in system whenever pg server is
started/crashed. Any idea?

Thanks,
Athi

If you’re running on Linux you can modify the init.d (or service) file and add a line to delete the file.
To remove on crash is likely to require some sort of ongoing monitoring service to see that the process is no longer running.
If you’re already using a service (such as monit) which brings an application back up after crash then adding a line to the init.d file may be sufficient.
—Ray

--
Raymond Cote, President
voice: +1.603.924.6079 email: rgacote@AppropriateSolutions.com skype: ray.cote

Re: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
vinny
Дата:
That seems like an odd requirement and I don't think PostgreSQL can do
it itself,
because if postgresql should crash properly then the process that should
write/remove that file would also crash

The simplest way would be to write a cronjob that connects to the
database and does a simple query to see if things are ok,
and act accordingly. But cronjobs cannot be executed more than once a
miunute so there would be a considerable delay.

If you need faster responses you may need to write a custom deamon or
use something like supervisord to manage a long polling script.

I get the feeling there must be a more elegant solution to whatever your
problem is though...

On 2017-10-05 16:04, athinivas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a requirement to delete a file in system whenever pg server
> is
> started/crashed. Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Athi
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
pinker
Look at inotify: https://github.com/rvoicilas/inotify-tools
You can check for instance if postmaster.pid exists.

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
pinker
Дата:
Actually if the name of the file doesn't matter you could put it into
$PGDATA/pg_stat and name it global.stat. When postgres stops (clean or
because of failure), replaces the file with his own. So your content will be
erased.
I'm not sure it's completely safe but works in simple test.

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
athinivas
Дата:
Hi,

Thank you...will try it :) ...As of now, I'm creating the filename as
pg_start_time so that, every time the server is up, a new file will be
created.

Regards,
Athi

--

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 8:33 AM, athinivas <athinivas@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Thank you...will try it :) ...As of now, I'm creating the filename as
pg_start_time so that, every time the server is up, a new file will be
created.

Regards,
Athi

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

>... I'm creating the filename as pg_start_time...

Just an FYI, you do know that

SELECT pg_postmaster_start_time();

will return start time for postgres?

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: [GENERAL] delete a file everytime pg server starts/crashes

От
athinivas
Дата:
Yes, will take the epoch value from same and create a new file. Upon
subsequent calls, will access with that filename...if it fails(incase if the
postmaster is restarted), will create a new one.

@Melvin Does this capture all failure scenarios?? Or you have any other
better ways to do it. Your comments are much appreciated !!

--

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 10:01 AM, athinivas <athinivas@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, will take the epoch value from same and create a new file. Upon
subsequent calls, will access with that filename...if it fails(incase if the
postmaster is restarted), will create a new one.

@Melvin Does this capture all failure scenarios?? Or you have any other
better ways to do it. Your comments are much appreciated !!

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

athinivas,

This is covered in the documentation:

9.25. System Information Functions
pg_postmaster_start_time()

It does not matter what caused the failure, it is the time Postgres is started again.

--
Melvin Davidson