Обсуждение: Installing postgresql on Windows question

Installing postgresql on Windows question

От
"Wei Wang"
Дата:
hi,

I followed the instruction on
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/win32.html

a.. Download the nightly snapshot tarball from
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/dev or checkout via CVS (you will need bison,
flex, and perl installed to build from CVS)

a.. Run configure
a.. Run make (at the time of writing, the entire source base should compile
and link successfully)

Now I did "configure --without-zlib --enable-debug --enable-cassert" and
then "make".
psql  will run under CMD.EXE.  psql does not work using the Msys console
application because of buffering problems.

Now I'm confused it didn't say anything about "make install". Does that mean
it is not needed in Windows installation?
But I cannot find where the database is. Can anyone give me some direction?

Wei

Re: Installing postgresql on Windows question

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>Now I did "configure --without-zlib --enable-debug
>--enable-cassert" and
>then "make".
>psql  will run under CMD.EXE.  psql does not work using the
>Msys console
>application because of buffering problems.
>
>Now I'm confused it didn't say anything about "make install".
>Does that mean
>it is not needed in Windows installation?
>But I cannot find where the database is. Can anyone give me
>some direction?

Those parts are the same as for unix. Meaning you just run "make
install" and it will end up in "/usr/local/pgsql" (in the mingw
environment). Depending on exactly how your environment is, you will
probably have to tweak around the PATH variable so the postmaster can
find it's backend executable.

You will then have to run initdb just as on Unix. See the win32 status
page for either a patch or a workaround around the problem of
initdb:ing. You can pick whatever data directory you chose. Also, the
readdir() workaround/patch is required to get anything working at all.

Finally, start the postmaster manually from the directory where it was
installed.

Note that if you haven't applied the signals handling patches to your
tree, the system will not shut down correctly. So after each shut down,
you will have to manually kill any remaining backends from the task
manager.

Expect a non-trivial amount of manual things that are not documented
still, since this port is still very much under early development.

//Magnus

Re: Installing postgresql on Windows question

От
"Wei Wang"
Дата:
Magnus,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. 2 more questions:

How do I apply the patch? (I've got the SIGCHLD handling one and the
readdir() one. )

For the initdb:ing problem (stat/inode issue), on the win32 status page
there is a link "submitted" that's supposed to point
to a patch by claudio? But it's actually pointing to
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/.

ps. So supposedly all 3 patched should be applied before "make", right?

Many thanks,

Wei

>Now I did "configure --without-zlib --enable-debug
>--enable-cassert" and
>then "make".
>psql  will run under CMD.EXE.  psql does not work using the
>Msys console
>application because of buffering problems.
>
>Now I'm confused it didn't say anything about "make install".
>Does that mean
>it is not needed in Windows installation?
>But I cannot find where the database is. Can anyone give me
>some direction?

Those parts are the same as for unix. Meaning you just run "make
install" and it will end up in "/usr/local/pgsql" (in the mingw
environment). Depending on exactly how your environment is, you will
probably have to tweak around the PATH variable so the postmaster can
find it's backend executable.

You will then have to run initdb just as on Unix. See the win32 status
page for either a patch or a workaround around the problem of
initdb:ing. You can pick whatever data directory you chose. Also, the
readdir() workaround/patch is required to get anything working at all.

Finally, start the postmaster manually from the directory where it was
installed.

Note that if you haven't applied the signals handling patches to your
tree, the system will not shut down correctly. So after each shut down,
you will have to manually kill any remaining backends from the task
manager.

Expect a non-trivial amount of manual things that are not documented
still, since this port is still very much under early development.

//Magnus

Re: Installing postgresql on Windows question

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. 2 more questions:
>
>How do I apply the patch? (I've got the SIGCHLD handling one and the
>readdir() one. )

Use the "patch" command. You will want something along the line of
patch -p1 < /where/ever/something.patch

(The number after the p will depend on where in the directory structure
you are, and how the patch looks)

Oh, and look out for the new readdir patch I just posted that is more
complete than the previous one. There is also a newer version of the
SIGCHLD patch (which actually does more than just SIGCHLD). I just
realised I forgot the patch when I posted that one, so it was also
posted to the list just a minute ago.

>For the initdb:ing problem (stat/inode issue), on the win32 status page
>there is a link "submitted" that's supposed to point
>to a patch by claudio? But it's actually pointing to
>http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/.

The page was probably updated before the file went into the archive. You
can find it at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-02/msg00088.php

>ps. So supposedly all 3 patched should be applied before "make", right?
Yup. If you have already done "make", do a "make clean" before you do a
new make.

//Magnus