Обсуждение: followed by example doesn't work

followed by example doesn't work

От
barbiomalefico@gmail.com
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/textsearch-intro.html

I copied the text in the followed by example: SELECT to_tsvector('fatal
error') @@ to_tsquery('fatal <-> error');
but it will always goes in error: ERROR:  syntax error in tsquery: "fatal
<-> error"
SQL state: 42601
I find two ways to solve the problem:
1. remove the space inside the to_tsquery string to obtain 'fatal<->error'
2. use plainto_tsquery instead of to_tsquery.

Re: followed by example doesn't work

Дата:
barbiomalefico@gmail.com writes:
> I copied the text in the followed by example: SELECT to_tsvector('fatal
> error') @@ to_tsquery('fatal <-> error');
> but it will always goes in error: ERROR:  syntax error in tsquery: "fatal
> <-> error"
> SQL state: 42601

The described symptoms sound like you're trying to use <-> with a pre-9.6
server.  Since that feature was added in 9.6, it won't work.

We generally don't recommend reading documentation versions that don't
match your server.

            regards, tom lane

Re: followed by example doesn't work

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017, Tom Lane wrote: > barbiomalefico@gmail.com writes: > > I copied the text in the followed by example: SELECT > to_tsvector('fatal > > error') @@ to_tsquery('fatal <-> error'); > > but it will always goes in error: ERROR: syntax error in tsquery: > "fatal > > <-> error" > > SQL state: 42601 > > The described symptoms sound like you're trying to use <-> with a pre-9.6 > server. Since that feature was added in 9.6, it won't work. > > We generally don't recommend reading documentation versions that don't > match your server. > > My interpretation of the doc reading advice is to read the newest version of the docs to learn about stuff but if you come across any errors, syntax or otherwise, then read your doc version to see how older releases differ. Non-bug enhancements to the docs are not usually back-patched and knowing how current releases work is valuable knowledge to have. David J.

Re: followed by example doesn't work

От
Rudy Barbieri
Дата:
Thanks for the tip! But it could be better improve the documentation highlighting that in previous versions there was a bug. Il 03 dic 2017 5:40 PM, "David G. Johnston" ha scritto: > On Sunday, December 3, 2017, Tom Lane wrote: > >> barbiomalefico@gmail.com writes: >> > I copied the text in the followed by example: SELECT >> to_tsvector('fatal >> > error') @@ to_tsquery('fatal <-> error'); >> > but it will always goes in error: ERROR: syntax error in tsquery: >> "fatal >> > <-> error" >> > SQL state: 42601 >> >> The described symptoms sound like you're trying to use <-> with a pre-9.6 >> server. Since that feature was added in 9.6, it won't work. >> >> We generally don't recommend reading documentation versions that don't >> match your server. >> >> > My interpretation of the doc reading advice is to read the newest version > of the docs to learn about stuff but if you come across any errors, syntax > or otherwise, then read your doc version to see how older releases differ. > Non-bug enhancements to the docs are not usually back-patched and knowing > how current releases work is valuable knowledge to have. > > David J. >

Re: followed by example doesn't work

Дата:
Rudy Barbieri <barbiomalefico@gmail.com> writes:
> But it could be better improve the documentation highlighting that in
> previous versions there was a bug.

I see no bug here ... failing to recognize an operator that was added in
later versions can hardly be classed as a bug.

            regards, tom lane

Re: followed by example doesn't work

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Rudy Barbieri <barbiomalefico@gmail.com> writes:
>> But it could be better improve the documentation highlighting that in
>> previous versions there was a bug.
>
> I see no bug here ... failing to recognize an operator that was added in
> later versions can hardly be classed as a bug.

If you wish to have a given operator supported in a past version of
Postgres, you could have it done in the shape of an extension as well.
There are many people and companies able to do so if you cannot.
--
Michael