Обсуждение: Can take filesystem bkp of pg data folder when server is running

Can take filesystem bkp of pg data folder when server is running

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/backup-file.html

I am running postgresql 10 on mac and was experimenting on backup and
restore features of PG 10
I certainly can take FS backup of the cluster with TAR when server is
running and with ACTIVE client connections [dummy begin; statement]

This seems against the documented explanation for FS backup method and its
limitation.

Is there something I am missing here?

Re: Can take filesystem bkp of pg data folder when server is running

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 1/23/18 01:00, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/backup-file.html
>
> I am running postgresql 10 on mac and was experimenting on backup and
> restore features of PG 10
> I certainly can take FS backup of the cluster with TAR when server is
> running and with ACTIVE client connections [dummy begin; statement]
>
> This seems against the documented explanation for FS backup method and its
> limitation.
>
> Is there something I am missing here?

It might work sometimes, especially if you are trying it on a dummy
setup, but it's not going to work in general.