Обсуждение: [GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project

[GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project

От
马来酸
Дата:
Dear Sir,
Hi, my name is Hongyuan Ma. I am a junior student in software engineering in Shanghai.I am interested in the idea "Develop Performance Farm Database and Website".I started developing web applications since my sophomore year and have experience in developing web sites.

I took a look at the buildfarm project and in my opinion, the Performance Farm project has three basic functions:
  • User Authentication
  • Upload data (json format or file format)
  • Review the data(may provide search, sorting and other functions)
Due to limited information on the idea page,  if you can provide more detailed functional requirements, my thinking will be clearer.
 I am willing to initialize this project in the next few days and initially achieve some basic functions. I plan to use Django 2.x, which requires python 3.5+. Here are some of my questions about this project.
  • Should this project consider the use of front-end framework(vue,react,etc.) to separate the front-end from the front-end?
  • Does this project use the UI framework(antDesign,bootstrap,etc.) for better visual effects?
I am willing to discuss this project in more depth with you. Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Hongyuan Ma (CS_MaleicAcid@163.com

Re: [GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 4:56 AM, 马来酸 <cs_maleicacid@163.com> wrote:
> Hi, my name is Hongyuan Ma. I am a junior student in software engineering in
> Shanghai.I am interested in the idea "Develop Performance Farm Database and
> Website".I started developing web applications since my sophomore year and
> have experience in developing web sites.
>
> I took a look at the buildfarm project and in my opinion, the Performance
> Farm project has three basic functions:
>
> User Authentication
> Upload data (json format or file format)
> Review the data(may provide search, sorting and other functions)

I might be wrong here, but I think that the problem here has a lot
more to do with deciding what we want to do, figuring out where we're
going to get the machine resources to do it, and making sure that we
don't build something that executes random code off the Internet that
might've been written by bad people.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re:Re: [GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project

От
"Hongyuan Ma"
Дата:
Hi Robert,
Thanks for your advice! I agree very much with you. It is necessary to analyze and determine its functional requirements before developing a website. Hopefully in the exchange with Mr. Wong, we can discuss the function of this website as detail as possible.

I see the Build Farm project seems to use perl script to upload data to the site. I guess the Performance Farm project may also use a similar script (Although I am not familiar with perl, I would like to learn it if needed). I think that after discussing the functional requirements, we can gradually determine the data table structure, data format and web interface. In my imagination, the perl script just needs to send the request in the format of the web interface, and the web application can receive the data it sends.

Last but not least, I promise that if I write the code for this project, I will only use the famous frameworks and libraries. I will not look for semi-finished products and then modify or improve it.

Regards,
Hongyuan Ma (CS_MaleicAcid@163.com)

Re: [GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project

От
Mark Wong
Дата:
Hi Hongyuan,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 05:56:07PM +0800, 马来酸 wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> Hi, my name is Hongyuan Ma. I am a junior student in software engineering in Shanghai.I am interested in the idea
"DevelopPerformance Farm Database and Website".I started developing web applications since my sophomore year and have
experiencein developing web sites.

> I took a look at the buildfarm project and in my opinion, the Performance Farm project has three basic functions:
> User Authentication
> Upload data (json format or file format)
> Review the data(may provide search, sorting and other functions)
> Due to limited information on the idea page,  if you can provide more detailed functional requirements, my thinking
willbe clearer.

>  I am willing to initialize this project in the next few days and initially achieve some basic functions.

It's great to see such enthusiasm, but please keep in mind the schedule
of the program.  We still aren't sure how many students we will be
allowed to accept so don't let yourself get too consumed by implementing
a solution yet. :)

> I plan to use Django 2.x, which requires python 3.5+. Here are some of my questions about this project.

We will want to stick to Django's LTS version, which is currently
v1.11 and will work with python 3.

I am imagining that having some RESTful services would be a good way to
transfer data so my suggestion is to also consider the Django Rest
Framework, which may also help with the user management.

> Should this project consider the use of front-end framework(vue,react,etc.) to separate the front-end from the
front-end?
> Does this project use the UI framework(antDesign,bootstrap,etc.) for better visual effects?

I prefer to keep things simple by not having any javascript, but I am
open to being swayed otherwise by the potential consumers of this data.

Regards,
Mark

--
Mark Wong                                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services

Re: [GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project

От
Mark Wong
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 02:31:08PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 4:56 AM, 马来酸 <cs_maleicacid@163.com> wrote:
> > Hi, my name is Hongyuan Ma. I am a junior student in software engineering in
> > Shanghai.I am interested in the idea "Develop Performance Farm Database and
> > Website".I started developing web applications since my sophomore year and
> > have experience in developing web sites.
> >
> > I took a look at the buildfarm project and in my opinion, the Performance
> > Farm project has three basic functions:
> >
> > User Authentication
> > Upload data (json format or file format)
> > Review the data(may provide search, sorting and other functions)
>
> I might be wrong here, but I think that the problem here has a lot
> more to do with deciding what we want to do, figuring out where we're
> going to get the machine resources to do it, and making sure that we
> don't build something that executes random code off the Internet that
> might've been written by bad people.

I know the git web reference doesn't provide a whole lot of information,
but here is the framework we've been working on for defining/executing
the tests (I've updated the description on our gsoc wiki page with this
reference):

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgperffarm.git;a=summary

And I just realized the pgperffarm mailing list isn't listed on the
postgres mailing list page.  That would probably help provide some
context.  I'll see what I can do about that...

I've touched base with the pginfra team about hosting the Web site and
database so I think I have that aspect covered.

Regards,
Mark