Обсуждение: "IS NOT DOCUMENT" is missing

"IS NOT DOCUMENT" is missing

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/functions-xml.html

From testing, it seems like PostgreSQL supports the syntax "IS NOT DOCUMENT"
in addition to "IS DOCUMENT", similar to "IS NOT NULL", "IS NOT FALSE", etc,
however this does not appear to be documented, only "IS DOCUMENT" is.

Re: "IS NOT DOCUMENT" is missing

От
Euler Taveira
Дата:
> From testing, it seems like PostgreSQL supports the syntax "IS NOT DOCUMENT"
> in addition to "IS DOCUMENT", similar to "IS NOT NULL", "IS NOT FALSE", etc,
> however this does not appear to be documented, only "IS DOCUMENT" is.

It has been like that since day 1. I'm not sure why it was not
documented. It already has some tests. I'll bet that was an oversight.
Should we repeat the statement in another item (like the attached
patch)? Another option is to add a statement in the "IS DOCUMENT"
item. I'm afraid that NULL return wouldn't be clear.

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: "IS NOT DOCUMENT" is missing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 01:56:32AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
> > From testing, it seems like PostgreSQL supports the syntax "IS NOT DOCUMENT"
> > in addition to "IS DOCUMENT", similar to "IS NOT NULL", "IS NOT FALSE", etc,
> > however this does not appear to be documented, only "IS DOCUMENT" is.
> >
> It has been like that since day 1. I'm not sure why it was not
> documented. It already has some tests. I'll bet that was an oversight.
> Should we repeat the statement in another item (like the attached
> patch)? Another option is to add a statement in the "IS DOCUMENT"
> item. I'm afraid that NULL return wouldn't be clear.

Patch applied and backpatched to Postgres 10.  Thank.s

Re: "IS NOT DOCUMENT" is missing

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 3/30/18 10:40, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 01:56:32AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
>>> From testing, it seems like PostgreSQL supports the syntax "IS NOT DOCUMENT"
>>> in addition to "IS DOCUMENT", similar to "IS NOT NULL", "IS NOT FALSE", etc,
>>> however this does not appear to be documented, only "IS DOCUMENT" is.
>>>
>> It has been like that since day 1. I'm not sure why it was not
>> documented. It already has some tests. I'll bet that was an oversight.
>> Should we repeat the statement in another item (like the attached
>> patch)? Another option is to add a statement in the "IS DOCUMENT"
>> item. I'm afraid that NULL return wouldn't be clear.
>>

> Patch applied and backpatched to Postgres 10.  Thank.s

Per the nearby discussion, this should probably also be backpatched further.

Re: "IS NOT DOCUMENT" is missing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Mon, Apr  2, 2018 at 11:51:50AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> >> It has been like that since day 1. I'm not sure why it was not
> >> documented. It already has some tests. I'll bet that was an oversight.
> >> Should we repeat the statement in another item (like the attached
> >> patch)? Another option is to add a statement in the "IS DOCUMENT"
> >> item. I'm afraid that NULL return wouldn't be clear.
> >>

> > Patch applied and backpatched to Postgres 10.  Thank.s
>
> Per the nearby discussion, this should probably also be backpatched further.

OK, backpatched through 9.3.